Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Looking for a file within a given slackware distribution. Post 302757871 by jim mcnamara on Friday 18th of January 2013 06:21:29 AM
Old 01-18-2013
A lot of the distribution files for linux are in the form of either somefile.tgz (sometimes somefile.tar.gz) or somefile.tar.bz2

These are compressed archives that cannot read directly.
mount your cd
for tgz and tar.gz files

Code:
cd /path/to/cdrom 
find . -name '*.tgz'  -exec tar tfz {} \; | grep foo
find . -name '*.tar.gz' - exec gzcat {} \; | tar tf - | grep foo

for bz2 files, ( .tbz, tar.bz2 etc. ) use

Code:
cd /path/to/cdrom
find . -name '*.bz2' -exec bzcat {} \;  | tar tf | grep foo

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies
BZNEW(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZNEW(1)

NAME
bznew - recompress .gz or .tgz files to .bz2 files SYNOPSIS
bznew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.gz ... ] DESCRIPTION
Bznew recompresses files from .gz (gzip) format to .bz2 (bzip2) format. If you want to recompress a file already in bzip2 format, rename the file to force a .bz2 extension then apply bznew. OPTIONS
-f Force recompression from .gz to .bz2 format even if a .bz2 file already exists. -t Tests the new files before deleting originals. -v Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed. -9 Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression). -P Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage. -K Keep a .gz file when it is smaller than the .bz2 file SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), gzip(1) BUGS
Bznew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option. BZNEW(1)