Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replace substrings in awk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace substrings in awk Post 302757811 by beca123456 on Friday 18th of January 2013 04:05:52 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Thanks for your help PikK45, unfortunately it doesn't work...

As I am learning awk I am trying to use a full awk command preferably

---------- Post updated at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:01 AM ----------

Thanks again Don Cragun, perfect !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking strings into Substrings

I'm only new to shell programming and have been given a task to do a program in .sh, however I've come to a point where I'm not sure what to do. This is my code so far: # process all arguments (i.e. loop while $1 is present) while ; do # echo "Arg is $1" case $1 in -h*|-H*) echo "help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: switch
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract large list of substrings

I have a very long string (millions of characters). I have a file with start location and length that is thousands of rows long: Start Length 5 10 16 21 44 100 215 37 ... I'd like to extract the substring that corresponds to the start and length from each row of the list: I tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
7 Replies

3. AIX

Substrings and the likes in AIX 4.2 ?

In AIX 4.2, are there any shell commands to do substrings and the text like manipulation commands ? I want to take an error log where errors are multi-ligned and convert them into single lines to ease tracking/monitoring. I may need to shorten them out too. If I can manage to put them into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting substrings

Hi guys, I am stuck in this problem. Please help. I have two files. FILE1 (with records starting from '>' ) >TC1723_3 similar to Scific_A7Q9Q3 EMSPSQDYCDDYFKLTYPCTAGAQYYGRGALPVYWNYNYGAIGEALKLDLLNHPEYIEQN ATMAFQAAIWRWMNPMKKGQPSAHDAFVGNWKP >TC214_2 similar to Quiet_Ref100_Q8W2B2 Cluster;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting substrings from variables

Hello Everyone, I am looking for a way to extract substrings to local variables. Here is the format of the string variable i am using : /var/x/www && /usr/x/share/doc && /etc/x/logs where the substrings i must extract are the "/var/x/www" and such. I was originally thinking of using... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract three substrings from a logfile

I have a log file like below. 66.249.73.11 - - "UCiZ7QocVqYAABgwfP8AAHAA" "US" "Mediapartners-Google" "-" www.mahashwetha.com.sg "GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding most common substrings

Hello, I would like to know what is the three most abundant substrings of length 6 from col2. The file is quite large and looks like this col1 col2 EN03 typehellobyedogcatcatdog EN09 typehellobyebyebyebye EN08 dogcatcatdogbyebyebyebye EN09 catcattypehellobyebyebyebye... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Look for substrings with special characters

Hello gurus, I have a lookup table cat tmp1 \\\erw``~ 1 ^774574574565665f\] 2 ()42543^ and I`m trying to compare a bunch of strings such that, either the lookup table column 1, or the string to be looked up are substrings of each other (and return the second lookup column if yes). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetalk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script to extract a column, replace one of the header and replace year(from ddmmyy to yyyy)

I have a csv which has lot of columns . I was looking for an awk script which would extract a column twice. for the first occurance the header and data needs to be intact but for the second occurance i want to replace the header name since it a duplicate and extract year value which is in ddmmyy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kunalcurious
10 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)