Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copying stickbits
Operating Systems Solaris Copying stickbits Post 302757791 by jlliagre on Friday 18th of January 2013 03:31:28 AM
Old 01-18-2013
sudo when prefixing a pipeline only applies to the first command. cpio need root or at least the RBAC privileges required to set owners, stick-bits and similar sensitive actions.
You can use something like this:
Code:
sudo find . -depth | sudo cpio -pudmv ~/cpio_test

or
Code:
sudo ksh -c "find . -depth | cpio -pudmv ~/cpio_test"

This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying

I am using AIX version 5.1 I would like to copy my log files to another directory and timestamp them or add the date to the file name so I can distinguish them apart and keep 4weeks of files in this directory. so I usally do this cp rptlog /dump/backup.log.files I would like the the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
5 Replies

2. Programming

copying a file

hello, i have to copy a file from one directory to another directory in linux. how to do this using a c function? kindly ans to my query. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a file to another

hi group... needed some help regarding this requirement actually we have a set of zip files in a server we have two types of zip files one as usual .zip extension and one with .zip_m extension... we need to copy the files from .zip_m extension to .zip extension with same file name ... it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying file

is there anyway to copy a file which i don't have permission? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dakid
1 Replies

5. Programming

Copying!

Can anybody point out the difference between shallow copying, deep copying and bitwise copying in C++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I need help with copying a file.

Hello. I don't know much about UNIX. Here is a problem I need to resolve. There is a file "file1.txt". It contains the line "End Of Copy" somewhere in the middle. I need to copy file1.txt to another file, "file2.txt" until this line. So, if the "file1.txt" is Line 1 Line 2 Line 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eugene
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying only the file name

Hi I just want to copy the file name from the input file. Below is the code I have used but the answer comes with quotation . $ cat test.sh file_name=\'$1\' echo $file_name $ sh test.sh grants.dat 'grants.dat' How do I remove the quotation Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krishnaramjis
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying with a certain extension

trying to copy all the files without extension then add "*.txt" but its not working is there any other way and i do not want to use cpio -vdump just want to use copy command FROM=/usr/share/doc TO=/aleza/doc #the follow function copies all the files without extensions call(){ cd $FROM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in copying the file once

hi all , i had a following problem in my script filename=oas/data/output.txt printf"content1" >> $filename printf"content2" >> $filename printf"content3" >> $filename printf"content4" >> $filename printf"content5" >> $filename printf"content6" >> $filename my contents are different... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
6 Replies
STICKY(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						 STICKY(7)

NAME
sticky -- sticky text and append-only directories DESCRIPTION
A special file mode, called the sticky bit (mode S_ISVTX), is used to indicate special treatment for directories. It is ignored for regular files. See chmod(2) or the file <sys/stat.h> for an explanation of file modes. STICKY DIRECTORIES
A directory whose `sticky bit' is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is restricted. A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the directory and the user is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the super-user. This feature is usefully applied to directories such as /tmp which must be publicly writable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod(1) for details about modifying file modes. HISTORY
A sticky command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Neither open(2) nor mkdir(2) will create a file with the sticky bit set. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD