Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple calculator with menu input - Need Help Post 302757455 by rdrtx1 on Thursday 17th of January 2013 02:09:10 PM
Old 01-17-2013
Not sure what operation 'equals' would do, but try:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
n1=ans
while [ -n "$n1" ]
do
   read -p "what's the first number? (return to exit)" n1
   [[ -n "$n1" ]] && {
      PS3="what's the operation? "
      select ans in add subtract multiply divide exp; do
         case $ans in
            add) op='+' ; break ;;
            subtract) op='-' ; break ;;
            multiply) op='*' ; break ;;
            divide) op='/' ; break ;;
            exp) op='^' ; break ;;
            *) echo "invalid response" ;;
         esac
      done
      read -p "what's the second number? " n2
      ans=$(echo "$n1 $op $n2" | bc -l)
      printf "%s %s %s = %s\n\n" "$n1" "$op" "$n2" "$ans"
   }
done

exit 0

Last edited by rdrtx1; 01-17-2013 at 03:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Menu and coding

I am very new to Unix and don't know much about it. I've been trying to create a menu and what I don't understand is how to execute a command once a user makes a selection. I have the menu set up. In fact, the following is the code that I have thus far: #! /bin/csh # This is the UNIX menu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinjin
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with scripting a simple menu

Hi there. I'm trying to teach myself UNIX but the book I bought is a bit confusing. I'm trying out this exercise and I think I'm on the right track, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve what I have so far. Also, I'm not clear on how to use the read command to utilize the user's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jsmith
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input A Menu Selection In A Variable

hey all, me again....having a problem with my code, where I essentially am trying to show a menu, have the user select an option (from 1 to 5), then display which selection they picked... #!/bin/bash # A LIST OF THE ERROR MESSAGES AND THE PROPER SYNTAX: error_0="Correct amount of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SoVi3t
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl simple text menu with options

Hopefully I'm in the right place. Im new to the forums and linux! I'm looking to add a menu to my perl hangman game i have created. The menu will use user input for the desired option and then perform the operation indicated. I would like something along the lines of: Welcome to Hangman... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jahburmski
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple maths calculator loop.

Hi, I am trying to make a maths calculator that: 1. Prompts the user for a number. 2. Prompts the user for an operation (add, subtract, divide or multiply) 3. Prompts the user for a number. 4. Prompts the user for another operation (same as above) OR the option to get the result for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnthebaptist
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two columns output in simple case menu?

EDIT : System used : Any Linux distribution. Hello everyone, I m having quite a headache trying to figure out why I m having a 2 columns output in the following code : #!/bin/ksh menu_rotation() { #Variables CHOIX1="Rotation 1" CHOIX2="Rotation 2" CHOIX3="Rotation 3" ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple bash script menu

Dear Sir, May I know how do I go about adding the following feature into the script below: When user enter values other than 1,2,3,4, a) Message “Wrong entry !!! Pls select 1,2,3 or 4” is displayed b) The screen is cleared again and the menu is displayed. #!/bin/bash clear var=1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simple Calculator

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known/data: Script a simple calculator. In the command line enter the script file /home/etc/mycalc or /home/etc/mycalc 1 +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: herb bertz
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Scientific calculator for ADE, the UNIX environment for the AMIGA A1200(HD).

ADE is a UNIX environment for the ancient AMIGA A1200. By default this does NOT have the 'bc' command line calculator. Although I did a DEMO code to create a C source and compile it under python 1.4.0 and ADE using ksh88 and the gcc of the day, I decided to create this baby that requires no Python... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)