Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Build Linux Desktop ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Build Linux Desktop ? Post 302756959 by bakunin on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 09:48:13 PM
Old 01-16-2013
In one of my last projects i had to use MS-software. I ended up saving an image of the preinstalled Windows from the Laptop, installed Fedora, installed Virtual Box, then fed the Virtual Box the image file of the disk as virtual hard disk.

This way i had an original company-compliant machine (virtual) and still a working environment. I have zero tolerance when i am expected to work on a daily basis from Putty sessions or similar nonsense.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Desktop of linux server

Hi, How to get desktop of linux server in windows using putty or any other software (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

2. Linux

Best Linux desktop distro

I hate the fact that my first post is this. Anyhow, I've been using Linux distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, openSUSE, and a few others for quite some time now. I've never had a problem with any distro, thus saying that they were all good in my opinion. I've been reading a lot on different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vex
2 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Shared Library build question...

I'm a bit new to Linux systems programming. I've been programming at the systems level for over 20 years on various other platforms, but I'm not as familiar with the GCC toolchain as I'd like to be (but I'm learning quickly)...;)... Our target is an ARM-based Linux Embedded system. We're using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcossette
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Linux Desktop vs Windows 8

Any comments on this Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting | ITworld (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
16 Replies

5. BSD

Which UNIX / Linux to build a new machine with?

Is freeBSD a good choice for new Unix machine? I want to get back into Unix / Linux. System would be used for light scripting and file server needs. Something with nice software or hardware raid support would be good. If it could support virtual machines, kind of like VMWare's ESX that would be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grips03
5 Replies

6. Linux

Linux Desktop OS

Right, I know this topic has more or less been done to death, however, I'm bringing it up again. I'm planning on moving to Linux as a full time desktop OS for my home system. I don't want to run a security distro, or anything that runs as root and just use my Windows OS in a VM when I need to use... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
11 Replies

7. Red Hat

VXVM on Linux desktop

I would like to install vmvm on linux for practice My hdd is only 1 & its a intel core i5 processor which i believe is 64 bit.. Has anyone have experience of installing it on desktop ? Or any other advice to learn it ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
3 Replies
gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)					   User Commands					gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)

NAME
gnome-desktop-item-edit - GNOME Desktop file editor SYNOPSIS
gnome-desktop-item-edit [--create-new] filename DESCRIPTION
gnome-desktop-item-edit is the GNOME Desktop file editor, which you can use to create or edit the .desktop (known as desktop) file. GNOME uses a standard desktop file specification as proposed by freedesktop.org. A desktop file consists of a number of name-value pairs that define how a desktop should organize a particular application. As this is defined as an open standard, integration of applications into GNOME Desktop is relatively straightforward. A basic entry in the desktop file must start with a tag called [Desktop Entry]. It can then have a number of name-value pairs as defined by the standard. The minimum entries are as follows: Name the name of the application Comment a textual description of the application which is displayed as a tooltip message by gnome-panel. When set appropri- ately, the comment can be localized within the same file. Exec the name of the actual executable Icon the file name of the icon image Type the desktop file type Categories a multi-string field which is used by gnome-panel to group applications into the appropriate categories. These desktop files provide the information to gnome-panel, which places the application in the appropriate locations on the panel. In a similar manner, the GNOME file manager (Nautilus) uses information from the desktop files to display the 'applications:///' view. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --create-new Creates a new .desktop file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the desktop file to be edited or viewed. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Editing an existing .desktop file example% gnome-desktop-item-edit fullpath/filename This command invokes the launcher dialog and loads the contents of the specified desktop file into the relevant fields. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-desktop-item-edit Executable for GNOME Desktop file editor /usr/share/applications/ Location of system desktop files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-panel(1), nautilus(1), attributes(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Ghee Teo, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)