Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing field X in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing field X in file Post 302756777 by Scott on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 01:29:32 PM
Old 01-16-2013
The "1" is a condition, which always evaluates to "true", with no action specified. The default action for a condition, if none is specified, is { print }. So it's shorthand for "print the line".

It's equivalent to:
Code:
1 { print }

or just
Code:
{ print }

since an action with no condition is always executed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing particular field in fixed width file

I have a fixed width file and i need to change 36th field to "G" in for about random 20 records? How can I do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how I can add a constant to a field without changing the file format

Hi, I need to edit a file Protein Data Bank (pdb) and then open that file with the program VMD but when I edit the file with awk, it changes pdb format and the VMD program can not read it. I need to subtract 34 to field 6 ($ 6). this is a pdb file : ATOM 918 N GLY B 103 -11.855 8.675... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bio_
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with changing field separators in a file

I have a file with content as shown below. cat t2 : 100,100,"X",1234,"12A",,,"ab,c" Comma is the field seperator, however string fields will be within double quotes and comma within double quotes should not be treated as field seperator. I am trying to replace this field seperator to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz Help. Compare 2 files field by field and get the output in another file.

Hi Freinds, I have 2 files . one is source.txt and second one is target.txt. I want to keep source.txt as baseline and compare target.txt. please find the data in 2 files and Expected output. Source.txt 1|HYD|NAG|TRA|34.5|1234 2|CHE|ESW|DES|36.5|134 3|BAN|MEH|TRA|33.5|234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Need help changing a field from MM/DD/YY to DD/MM/YY format

Hi, I need help changing a field from MM/DD/YY to DD/MM/YY format. Suppose a file a.csv. The record is "11/16/09","ABC"," 1","EU","520892414","1","600","31351000","1234567","ANR BANK CO. LTD" "11/16/09","PQR"," 2","EU","520892427","1","600","31351000","5467897","ANR BANK CO.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
4 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help changing date format in the nth field

Hi, I have two (2) things that I want to do. First is to change the date format that is in the nth field from MM/DD/YY to YY/MM/DD. Preferably, I wish I know how to make it a 4-digit year but I don't. Problem is I can only assume it is a 20 century Second is somehow know how to figure out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
RUN-MAILCAP(1)						       Run Mailcap Programs						    RUN-MAILCAP(1)

NAME
run-mailcap, view, see, edit, compose, print - execute programs via entries in the mailcap file SYNOPSIS
run-mailcap --action=ACTION [--option[=value]] [MIME-TYPE:[ENCODING:]]FILE [...] The see, edit, compose and print versions are just aliases that default to the view, edit, compose, and print actions (respectively). DESCRIPTION
run-mailcap (or any of its aliases) will use the given action to process each mime-type/file in turn. Each file is specified as its mime- type, its encoding (e.g. compression), and filename together, separated by colons. If the mime-type is omitted, an attempt to determine the type is made by trying to match the file's extension with those in the mime.types files. If the encoding is omitted, it will also be determined from the file's extensions. Currently supported encodings are gzip (.gz), bzip (.bz), bzip2 (.bz2), and compress (.Z). A file- name of "-" can be used to mean "standard input", but then a mime-type must be specified. Both the user's files (~/.mailcap; ~/.mime.types) and the system files (/etc/mailcap; /etc/mime.types) are searched in turn for informa- tion. EXAMPLES see picture.jpg print output.ps.gz compose text/html:index.htm extract-mail-attachment msg.txt | see image/tiff:gzip:- OPTIONS All options are in the form --<opt>=<value>. --action=<action> Performs the specified action on the files. Valid actions are view, cat (uses only "copiousoutput" rules and sends output to STD- OUT) , compose, composetyped, edit and print. If no action is specified, the action will be determined by how the program was called. --debug Turns on extra information to find out what is happening. --nopager Ignores any "copiousoutput" directive and sends output to STDOUT. --norun Displays the found command without actually executing it. SEE ALSO
update-mime(8) AUTHOR
run-mailcap (and its aliases) was written by Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com>. COPYRIGHT
run-mailcap (and its aliases) is in the public domain (the only true "free"). Debian Project 1st Jan 2008 RUN-MAILCAP(1)