Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing field X in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing field X in file Post 302756773 by jnojr on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 01:27:53 PM
Old 01-16-2013
Thanks, msabhi. A minor nit is that removes all of the whitespace (the original uses tabs to line everything up), which makes it a little less readable. I'm guessing that's because awk sees any whitespace as the field separator, but FS is a single whitespace character? Is there a way to preserve existing whitespace?

Also, what is the "1" at the end of the recipe for?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing particular field in fixed width file

I have a fixed width file and i need to change 36th field to "G" in for about random 20 records? How can I do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how I can add a constant to a field without changing the file format

Hi, I need to edit a file Protein Data Bank (pdb) and then open that file with the program VMD but when I edit the file with awk, it changes pdb format and the VMD program can not read it. I need to subtract 34 to field 6 ($ 6). this is a pdb file : ATOM 918 N GLY B 103 -11.855 8.675... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bio_
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with changing field separators in a file

I have a file with content as shown below. cat t2 : 100,100,"X",1234,"12A",,,"ab,c" Comma is the field seperator, however string fields will be within double quotes and comma within double quotes should not be treated as field seperator. I am trying to replace this field seperator to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz Help. Compare 2 files field by field and get the output in another file.

Hi Freinds, I have 2 files . one is source.txt and second one is target.txt. I want to keep source.txt as baseline and compare target.txt. please find the data in 2 files and Expected output. Source.txt 1|HYD|NAG|TRA|34.5|1234 2|CHE|ESW|DES|36.5|134 3|BAN|MEH|TRA|33.5|234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Need help changing a field from MM/DD/YY to DD/MM/YY format

Hi, I need help changing a field from MM/DD/YY to DD/MM/YY format. Suppose a file a.csv. The record is "11/16/09","ABC"," 1","EU","520892414","1","600","31351000","1234567","ANR BANK CO. LTD" "11/16/09","PQR"," 2","EU","520892427","1","600","31351000","5467897","ANR BANK CO.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
4 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help changing date format in the nth field

Hi, I have two (2) things that I want to do. First is to change the date format that is in the nth field from MM/DD/YY to YY/MM/DD. Preferably, I wish I know how to make it a 4-digit year but I don't. Problem is I can only assume it is a 20 century Second is somehow know how to figure out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)

NAME
Regexp::Common::whitespace -- provides a regex for leading or trailing whitescape SYNOPSIS
use Regexp::Common qw /whitespace/; while (<>) { s/$RE{ws}{crop}//g; # Delete surrounding whitespace } DESCRIPTION
Please consult the manual of Regexp::Common for a general description of the works of this interface. Do not use this module directly, but load it via Regexp::Common. $RE{ws}{crop} Returns a pattern that identifies leading or trailing whitespace. For example: $str =~ s/$RE{ws}{crop}//g; # Delete surrounding whitespace The call: $RE{ws}{crop}->subs($str); is optimized (but probably still slower than doing the s///g explicitly). This pattern does not capture under "-keep". SEE ALSO
Regexp::Common for a general description of how to use this interface. AUTHOR
Damian Conway (damian@conway.org) MAINTAINANCE
This package is maintained by Abigail (regexp-common@abigail.be). BUGS AND IRRITATIONS
Bound to be plenty. For a start, there are many common regexes missing. Send them in to regexp-common@abigail.be. LICENSE and COPYRIGHT This software is Copyright (c) 2001 - 2009, Damian Conway and Abigail. This module is free software, and maybe used under any of the following licenses: 1) The Perl Artistic License. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL. 2) The Perl Artistic License 2.0. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL2. 3) The BSD Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.BSD. 4) The MIT Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.MIT. perl v5.16.2 2010-02-23 Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)