Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with multiple variables into one row in CSV! Post 302756759 by joeyg on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 12:53:44 PM
Old 01-16-2013
Not sure I understand

A cat command could put the three files into one, and then a tr command could change the carriage-returns to commas.

Off the top of my head, something like
Code:
cat file1 file2 file3 | tr '\n' ',' >file4

But that assumes your 3 files only contain that little bit of data.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

first row data into variables

I have a datafile having structure like col1,col2,col3 col1,col2,col3,col4,col5 col1,col2,col3,col4,col5 ..... Can we take only first row of values from datafile and put into respective variable. How col1 can be captured in a variable called v_col1 from unix script. like first row(only)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u263066
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulating csv to add extra row

hi how do i manipulate .csv file to add an extra row after each row using shell script? I need a blank line added for each 1000 records in my file? I will then need to copy and paste some data in the blank row created. thanks 4 ur support neil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil546
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete first row of csv file

I have a csv file, which is > 2 Gigs. I need to BCP that file to Sybase db , but I cant upload that b'caz first row of the file is failing. ( having some errors probably.) I can manually insert the first line into db & then I can upload the rest of the data in file, if i can delete the first row. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in fetching multiple row values into variables

Hello Team, In the below code....The variabe values are not fetch from input table into SELECT statements. =========================== #!/usr/bash DATABASE=XXXXX inputFILE=$1 db2 connect to $DATABASE TABLENAME=`echo $inputFILE|awk '{print $1}'` COLUMNNAME=`echo $inputFILE|awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Transpose csv row to column.

Hello, am I new to awk, and I am tryint to: INPUT FILE: "73423555","73423556","73423557","73423558","73423559" OUTPUT FILE: 73423555 73423556 73423557 73423558 73423559 My useless code so far: #!/bin/awk -F ',' BEGIN { i=0; } (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV to SQL insert: Awk for strings with multiple lines in csv

Hi Fellows, I have been struggling to fix an issue in csv records to compose sql statements and have been really losing sleep over it. Here is the problem: I have csv files in the following pipe-delimited format: Column1|Column2|Column3|Column4|NEWLINE Address Type|some descriptive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khayal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting single row into multiple rows based on for every 10 digits of last field of the row

Hi ALL, We have requirement in a file, i have multiple rows. Example below: Input file rows 01,1,102319,0,0,70,26,U,1,331,000000113200000011920000001212 01,1,102319,0,1,80,20,U,1,241,00000059420000006021 I need my output file should be as mentioned below. Last field should split for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotra
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row bind multiple csv files having different column headers

All, I guess by this time someone asked this kind of question, but sorry I am unable to find after a deep search. Here is my request I have many files out of which 2 sample files provided below. File-1 (with A,B as column headers) A,B 1,2 File-2 (with C, D as column headers) C,D 4,5 I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row Count in .csv file

Hi, I have to find the count of rows starting with "E," in given a.csv file . Sample Data File. E,2333AED,A,MC3,25,31-MAY-18 E,2333AED,A,MC3,25,31-MAY-18 CYMC3 25AED 0000 E,2333CZK,A,MC3,25,31-MAY-18 CYMC3 25CZK 0000 E,2333EUR,A,MC3,25,31-MAY-18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prabhakar Y
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Generate files and use csv data to replace multiple variables in a template

I have a source csv file consists of first field as variable name, and the rest are site-specific information (converted from excel file, where site -specific values in columns). I am trying to create a file for every site using a template and replace the multiple variables with values from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
3 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)