Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Routing Issue
Operating Systems Solaris Routing Issue Post 302756565 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 05:37:47 AM
Old 01-16-2013
One of the boxes might be configured not to respond to ping.

Otherwise, a box needs to know how to get out of it's local LAN by a default router being configured.

If you are ping'ing a node name, then that name must be resolved by a nameserver.

See this:

Host not Resolvable -Solaris

Post back any questions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

routing

Can anyone help with the following; I am working on a unix server (Apple OS X Server). We have two network cards in the server. Both cards are on different subnets i.e en1 is on 192.168.10.10/24 and the built in ethernet is on 10.10.150.10/24. From a computer plugged into en1 (and set to ip... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrthrt
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

routing

Hi, in which file and how shuold be decalred a gateway and its IP adresse ? Where and how add a gateway ? Many thanks before. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. Linux

Routing

Hello Friends I have two network cards eth0 192.168.100.1 eth1 10.0.0.1 There NIC connect with diff. LAN I want to make my Linux machine as a Router, Please tell me using IPTABLES command ROUTE command :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

IP Routing

I am using RedHat Linux 9, In this box their are two lan intefaces. eth0 ====> LAN 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.0 eth1 ====> Internet Static IP 255.255.255.0 59.144.168.226 (Gateway) I want to define a gateway 59.144.168.226 for my LAN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Routing Issue

Hello, I've moved to a new network with multiple AIX box's. Most of them are working fine and dandy. On one box I need to set up a static route to a gateway.. no problem right? Whenever I add the route it appears in the routing table as UGc and then begins adding new entries to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshstar14
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

IP - Routing issue?

I have an IP routing issue or I am just to stupid to work it out myself. I have setup am old PC running SUSE Linux 11.3 as a router, the system has 3 Interfaces connecting 3 networks. Interface 1 = 10.164.2.161/21 Interface 2 = 192.168.1.210/24 Interface 3 = 30.1.0.11/16 The default... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hogola
6 Replies

7. IP Networking

Need help with a routing issue.

I have run into a wall troubleshooting a Centos 5 networking issue. Hoping someone can assist. I've got a box with two vlans trunked over bond0 bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:C1:D6:60 inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fec1:d660/64 Scope:Link ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: creedog
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing issue - local vs LAN

hi guys suse 11 SP1 x64 I have a server (4 NIC ports 192.168.100.100-103) that connects point to point to a storage device (same thing 4 ports 192.168.110.100-113) but this server connects to normal LAN 10.6.100.x - gateway 10.6.100.1 the issue is when testing connectivity to the storage... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
7 Replies

9. IP Networking

This looks like a tough routing issue

Hi, The default gateway (172.17.220.1) cannot be pinged via the default interface bond0 (172.17.220.231), but can be pinged via interface eth1 (10.201.135.73). # ping -I eth1 172.17.220.1 PING 172.17.220.1 (172.17.220.1) from 10.201.135.73 eth1: 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

Facing issue in ip6table rule for port based routing management

Hi, Please help me on issue described below, I have 4 machine setup, M1 -> M2 -> M3 | M4. And A laptop that can be reachable through both M3 and M4. M2 has 2 NIC conected to M3 and M4. Now I want to divide the flow coming from M1 for laptop. At M2, I have done following,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulbhansali24
1 Replies
nisping(1M)															       nisping(1M)

NAME
nisping - send ping to NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisping [-uf] [-H hostname] [-r | directory] /usr/lib/nis/nisping -C [-a] [-H hostname] [directory] In the first line, the nisping command sends a ``ping'' to all replicas of an NIS+ directory. Once a replica receives a ping, it will check with the master server for the directory to get updates. Prior to pinging the replicas, this command attempts to determine the last update "seen" by a replica and the last update logged by the master. If these two timestamps are the same, the ping is not sent. The -f (force) option will override this feature. Under normal circumstances, NIS+ replica servers get the new information from the master NIS+ server within a short time. Therefore, there should not be any need to use nisping. In the second line, the nisping -C command sends a checkpoint request to the servers. If no directory is specified, the home domain, as returned by nisdefaults(1), is checkpointed. If all directories, served by a given server, have to be checkpointed, then use the -a option. On receiving a checkpoint request, the servers would commit all the updates for the given directory from the table log files to the data- base files. This command, if sent to the master server, will also send updates to the replicas if they are out of date. This option is needed because the database log files for NIS+ are not automatically checkpointed. nisping should be used at frequent intervals (such as once a day) to checkpoint the NIS+ database log files. This command can be added to the crontab(1) file. If the database log files are not checkpointed, their sizes will continue to grow. If the server specified by the -H option does not serve the directory, then no ping is sent. Per-server and per-directory access restrictions may apply; see nisopaccess(1). nisping uses NIS_CPTIME and NIS_PING (resync (ping) of replicas), or NIS_CHECKPOINT (for checkpoint). Since the NIS_PING operation does not return a status, the nisping command is typically unable to indicate success or failure for resyncs. -a Checkpoint all directories on the server. -C Send a request to checkpoint, rather than a ping, to each server. The servers schedule to commit all the transactions to stable storage. -H hostname Only the host hostname is sent the ping, checked for an update time, or checkpointed. -f Force a ping, even though the timestamps indicate there is no reason to do so. This option is useful for debugging. -r This option can be used to update or get status about the root object from the root servers, especially when new root replicas are added or deleted from the list. If used without -u option, -r will send a ping request to the servers serving the root domain. When the replicas receive a ping, they will update their root object if needed. The -r option can be used with all other options except with the -C option; the root object need not be checkpointed. -u Display the time of the last update; no servers are sent a ping. -1 No servers were contacted, or the server specified by the -H switch could not be contacted. 0 Success. 1 Some, but not all, servers were successfully contacted. Example 1: Using nisping This example pings all replicas of the default domain: example% nisping Note that this example will not ping the org_dir and groups_dir subdirectories within this domain. This example pings the server example which is a replica of the org_dir.foo.com. directory: example% nisping -H example org_dir.foo.com. This example checkpoints all servers of the org_dir.bar.com. directory. example% nisping -C org_dir.bar.com. NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ directory name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the directory is found. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ crontab(1), nisdefaults(1), nisopaccess(1), nislog(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. 12 Dec 2001 nisping(1M)