Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Solved] Copy question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Copy question Post 302756413 by santiagorf on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 11:47:31 PM
Old 01-16-2013
[Solved] Copy question

I was reading man for cp, and I found the option cp -d.
What does it mean?
According to the documentation -d is the same as --no-dereference --preserve=link.
I understand that --preserve preserves the attributes of the file such as time stamp, but I have no clue about neither --preserve=link nor --no-dereference.
thanks
santiagorf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another question regarding copy

i cant do ftp to my unix server, basically i cant take my file out from unix server. now i want to copy the content of that file on windows based appl ..say..notepad.. the number of lines is apprx 10000... one way is to do cat filename | more then right clicking and pasting in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: icecool1249
3 Replies

2. Programming

lvalue question [solved]

Hi, This code was originally to print a sine function table. I modified it to print a tangent function table. I got an "lvalue" error which I can't solve...Any hint on why am I getting this error? Here is the code: // sintab.cpp // Creates a tangent function table #include <iostream>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Question on perl use POSIX [SOLVED]

Hi guys, I think this is a basic question. I'm not very familiar with this. I'm trying to round a number up and round a number down. From what I have read this can be done using POSIX. I have tried to to use this, but i'm getting errors: sub findGridBounds($$$%) { use POSIX; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] copy + rename

Hi, I was thinking that this should be a synch but I could never get it to work. I want to copy a bunch of files within a directory (3/4 levels into the directory) to a common place. All these files have the same name, so I prefer to rename them with the path. I tried with files=`ls -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Question for using variables outside a while loop

I want to get newvar outside the while any ideas? while read myline; do var=${myline} newvar1=$(let "$var") done echo $newvar1 I found it its ok now Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Question for Perderabo on date calc

Hi, First of all, thanks for all the awesome suggestions on this forum. This helps all the UNIX enthusiast like me. Now, I had a similar requirement as mentioned in a very old post here: Question about Perderabo's "Days Elapsed Between Two Dates" But I am struggling what to change in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CleoBos
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Copy subfolder to another directory preserving parent name

Hi, I have the following folder structure: Folder6100/Data Folder6100/Data Folder6120/Data Folder6120/Data Folder6140/Data Folder6140/Data Folder6160/Data Folder6160/Data Folder6180/Data Folder6180/Data Folder6200/Data Folder6220/Data Folder6240/Data Folder6260/Data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Copy Problem

I facing a problem : I have a Source and Destination directory. The Source directory is linked to SVN and is updated by the Script to Head Revision. After that i copy the Source to Destination by this command: cp -r /SOURCE PATH /DESTIUNATION PATH Now if a delete a file in source and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Need help to copy files to another server

Hi all, I need a shell script to compress and transfer only last modified(new) file from one linux server to another linux sever. the files i need to backup are 2 files .txt & .log which will be created in the same folder for every 3-4hrs and this script need to run once in 24hrs. so only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: basszzz
5 Replies

10. Solaris

[Solved] Question changing timezone rules / zic

Dear, One of our customer which is located in Iraq/Baghdad, has informed us about a official change in daylight saving time in few days later and has asked us to fix this issue. So, the current timezone of that system is set as 'Asia/Baghdad' which is correct. however to fix the issue I went... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anti_Evil
0 Replies
CHGRP(1)							   User Commands							  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp - change group ownership SYNOPSIS
chgrp [OPTION]... GROUP FILE... chgrp [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP. With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself -h, --no-dereference affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink) --no-preserve-root do not treat '/' specially (the default) --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on '/' --reference=RFILE use RFILE's group rather than specifying a GROUP value -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect. -H if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a directory, traverse it -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory encountered -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit EXAMPLES
chgrp staff /u Change the group of /u to "staff". chgrp -hR staff /u Change the group of /u and subfiles to "staff". AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report chgrp translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
chown(1), chown(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/chgrp> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) chgrp invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 CHGRP(1)