Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to run commands at a specific time. Post 302755281 by rob2468 on Saturday 12th of January 2013 11:32:46 AM
Old 01-12-2013
Code:
crontab -e

use this command to set the time and commands, you can refer to the manual to get the rules. This command automatically uses a simple editor for user to implement settings. After your saving the contents. so, finished
you can set the first 5 fields which represent time set with "* * * * *" to see whether commands work or not. This might be the shortest time quantum.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to run a few commands help!

Hi friends this is first post i am very new to shell scripting so i require your expertise to do the following thank u I need to write a shell script which will run the following commands pg_dump bank > backup(Enter) Wait for bash prompt to appear coz it indicates that the command is... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
23 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run several commands at a time

Hello guys, I am new at shell scripting and I want to create a script that runs several commands at a time, ie: uptime, w, df -h and so on and send the output of this commands to a text file so it can be send via email at a certain time using crontab. Any help will be much appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run Command in Specific Time ...

Guy's I want to make script to run this command solevel every Saturday at 8:00 clock exactly . Can you please help me and teach me how to do this ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IT Helper
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

run commands within a script on certain days

Hi, please advise a script, something like this: If ; then do something else ( or for any other day of the week ) do otherthing fi Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] script how to run 2 commands simultaneously

#!/bin/sh firefox index.html firefox secondpage.html hey guys, im not able to open up two pages at the same time... it always open up index.html first, and only after i close it, then the 2nd page pops up... is there any way i can run both commands at the same time? i appreciate any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: funnyguy123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

specific number jobs run at the same time

Hi, I have more that 100 jobs I can run background, if I want only 4 running at ther same time, how can I write a script to control it? Thanks peter (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laopi
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To run 5 commands at the same time with process from a list

I have many command is list in the variable lists,each command will run a very long time, so I want to run 5 commands at the same time with process till it complete run all the command, lists="aa bb cc dd xx gg blabla zz ......." ( a very long list) can some one point me the codes? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Commands Run on Specific Date

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to find out what commands were run on a specific date. I'm looking to see if I can find certain commands that were run on 3/4, today is 3/10...? Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks in Advance, Matt ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a command for specific amount of time with an auto key press

Hi, I have been trying to do a small fun project for myself. I want to run a command for 45 seconds. And to get the final output of this command, the script requires I push the "q" key on my keyboard and then the final output file becomes available. I tried the following script. But it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
12 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-l load_avg] [-n] DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. The -n option changes this default behavior causing it to run in the foreground. This can be useful when starting it out of init. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. PAM Access Control On SUSE LINUX systems, crond now supports access control with PAM - see pam(8). A PAM configuration file for crond is installed in /etc/pam.d/crond . crond loads the PAM environment from the pam_env module, but these can be overriden by settings in the crontab file. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Naturally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). CAVEATS
In this version of cron, /etc/crontab must not be writable by any user other than root. No crontab files may be links, or linked to by any other file. No crontab files may be executable, or be writable by any user other than their owner. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> 4th Berkeley Distribution 10 January 1996" CRON(8)