Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to compare 2 files and prints difference as output sidebyside Post 302755271 by Optimus81 on Saturday 12th of January 2013 11:20:23 AM
Old 01-12-2013
Script to compare 2 files and prints difference as output sidebyside

Hi All,

Am trying script to compare 2 files and print the difference found from old file to new file on line by line basis on side by side display.

Basically line by line comparision and files may contain blank line as well

I know we have compare/diff commands but i don't how to make them display the results side by side.

for ex : OLD_FILE content will be
Code:
netip :01.99.22.10
username :herty
component : sds mgm tth

link file : 
symbol : £$ %$

NEW FILE content will be
Code:
netip:11.88.23.11
username : mmerty

link file : gge
symbol : £$ %$

After running the script : ./scriptname OLD_FILE NEW FILE

Output should display like this :
Code:
line 1 is different :
OLD_FILE : netip :01.99.22.10      NEW FILE : netip:11.88.23.11

line 2 is diiferent : 
OLD_FILE : username :herty        NEW FILE : username : mmerty

line 3 is different :
OLD_FILE : component : sds mgm tth  NEW FILE  : 

line 4 is different :
OLD_FILE : link file :      NEW FILE : link file : gge

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two files and to print the difference

suppose one file P1168S P2150L P85L Q597R R1097C Another file P2150L P85L Q597R R1097C R1379C R1587K Then output shud be R1379C R1587K thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to compare first column of two files and find difference

Hi, I want to write a script which will compare the 1st column of both the files and will give the difference. e.g:- my 1st file contains: 89 /usr 52 /usr/local 36 /tmp 92 /opt 96 /home 27 /etc/opt/EMCom 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare Files and Output Difference

I have to compare two files for any differences, then output the lab and question number for any differences. This is what I currently have: diff lab2.txt lab2answer.txt > lab2compare.txt Though the output doesn't have to be sent to a .txt (or any sort of log), I found that easier, at least... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joesgrrrl
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns in two files and print the difference

one file . . importing table employee 119 . . importing table jobs 1 2nd file . . importing table employee 120 . . importing table jobs 1 and would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare / difference between sub-sections of files

Hi there, I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I can't find any posts with information. How can I check the differences between say lines 20 - 200 in file1 and lines 420 - 600 in file2? Thanks in advance for any help! js (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: js8765
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to compare xml files and print output to a file

All, PLease can you help me with a shell script which can compare two xml files and print the difference to a output file. I have attached one such file for you reference. <Group> <Member ID=":Year_Quad:41501" childCount="4" fullPath="PEPSICO Year-Quad-Wk : FOLDER.52 Weeks Ending Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and output difference, by first field using awk.

It seems like a common task, but I haven't been able to find the solution. vitallog.txt 1310,John,Hancock 13211,Steven,Mills 122,Jane,Doe 138,Thoms,Doe 1500,Micheal,May vitalinfo.txt 12122,Jane,Thomas 122,Janes,Does 123,Paul,Kite **OUTPUT** vitalfiltered.txt 12122,Jane,Thomas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare multiple files and get the difference

Hi all, i have 50 files .data should be same in these 50 files , so my task is to find the difference. i need a logic , which finds difference between all files and print in output file with file name where it found that difference . i tried below logic , but its not giving me what i want. let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and output difference

Hi experts, I am trying to compare two text files and output the difference to another file. I'm not strictly looking for differences in text but additional text at the end of one file that isn't in another, so basically comparing the file 2 against file 1 and printing any additional text to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script which telnets to a device, runs commands and prints output to a file

I am connecting to a device using telnet, I want my script to perform certain commands : ie- show device , show inventory..etc and write the output it sees from the terminal to a file. this is what I have got : #!/usr/bin/expect -- set running 1 spawn telnet <ip address> expect ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samantha123
1 Replies
DIFF3(1)							     GNU Tools								  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - find differences between three files SYNOPSIS
diff3 [options] mine older yours DESCRIPTION
The diff3 command compares three files and outputs descriptions of their differences. The files to compare are mine, older, and yours. At most one of these three file names may be -, which tells diff3 to read the standard input for that file. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU diff3 accepts. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be com- bined into a single command line argument. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -A Incorporate all changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all conflicts with bracket lines. -B Old behavior of -A. Shows non-conflicts. -e Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. -E Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. With -e, an overlapping change looks like this: <<<<<<< mine lines from mine ======= lines from yours >>>>>>> yours --ed Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. --easy-only Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. -i Generate w and q commands at the end of the ed script for System V compatibility. This option must be combined with one of the -AeExX3 options, and may not be combined with -m. --initial-tab Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. -L label --label=label Use the label label for the brackets output by the -A, -E and -X options. This option may be given up to three times, one for each input file. The default labels are the names of the input files. Thus diff3 -L X -L Y -L Z -m A B C acts like diff3 -m A B C , except that the output looks like it came from files named X, Y and Z rather than from files named A, B and C. -m --merge Apply the edit script to the first file and send the result to standard output. Unlike piping the output from diff3 to ed, this works even for binary files and incomplete lines. -A is assumed if no edit script option is specified. --overlap-only Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. --show-all Incorporate all unmerged changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all overlapping changes with bracket lines. --show-overlap Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. -T Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of diff3. -x Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. -X Like -E, except output only the overlapping changes. In other words, like -x, except bracket changes as in -E. -3 Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), ed(1), patch(1), sdiff(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means diff3 was successful, 1 means some conflicts were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 DIFF3(1)