Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for values in a file Post 302755235 by RudiC on Saturday 12th of January 2013 09:55:50 AM
Old 01-12-2013
Surprising question. Just try! I'm pretty confident it will.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching data files for another file of values

I've used awk for some simple scripting, but having trouble figuring out how to search a couple of data files that have Name/Address/Zip Codes from another file that has list of only Zip Codes, and write out the lines that matched. Zip code field in the data file is 27 I was thinking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matkins99
5 Replies

2. Programming

searching files for hex or oct values

I have a set of files without extensions. How can I programatically tell if a file is in gzip format? The gzip file format spec RFC 1952 GZIP File Format Specification version 4.3 states that gzip files have certain hex/oct values at the beginning of the file. 1st byte = 0x1f in hex,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove values of a file one by one from 2nd file and then print the remaining values of 2nd file

Hi all, I have 2 files. One contains only 1 column and other one contains 2 columns, let say 1_col.txt and 2_col.txt respectively. Here, I will try to explain with an example. Input files : 1_col.txt 2_col.txt a a b x a c p ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching columns and subtracting values in awk

Hi everyone, I had a similar question a couple days ago but my problem has gotten significantly (to me anyway) more complex. I have two files: File 1: 0808 166 166 62 9 0 1000fights 1 1 2 1 0 100places2visit 2 2 2 2 0 10veronica91 167 167 3 1 0 11thgorgeous 346 346 3806 1461 122... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: collards
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help searching for values in file then adding to line

Hello! I'm currently trying to organize data for some bio research, but I'm not sure how to compare a value to values in a file. So what I have are 2 arrays, one array contains NM numbers and can be referenced as NM. The other array has symbols, SYM. I have a file for which it contains an NM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read record from the text file contain multiple separated values & assign those values to variables

I have a file containing multiple values, some of them are pipe separated which are to be read as separate values and some of them are single value all are these need to store in variables. I need to read this file which is an input to my script Config.txt file name, first path, second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking key values from one file and extracting values from another file

Hi, I have two files with values in both. File1: cat 2 3 dog 4 5 elephant 6 7 camel 2 3 File2: ----+--gkf;ajf= ---+---- +----- cat -------=----+ 3 | 4 ----- dog ------++-- 5 | 9 ----++-- elephant | 5 | 7 ---++ camel ------ ++++_---- || 8 | 9 I want the final file as: cat 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD