Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing multiple values from user input Post 302755139 by RudiC on Saturday 12th of January 2013 02:28:35 AM
Old 01-12-2013
If your shell offers it (bash and ksh do), use the selectbuiltin:
Code:
$ select A in a b c d; do echo $A, $REPLY; done
1) a
2) b
3) c
4) d
#? 1
a, 1
#? 1-4
, 1-4

and evaluate §REPLY.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display values from user input array?

Hi all, I wrote a script that reads inputs from user and store in array named "input". The number of elements in the array is not fixed - determined only after user exit the while loop that reads the array values : x=1 echo "Enter first value" read input while } != "exit" ] do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying default values when accepting input from user

Is there a way to display the default answer when accepting input from the user in the unix script.. e.g. ans="n" read $ans?"Enter y to continue n to exit:" altough ans contains n the message doesn't display the current contents on ans .. you get Enter y to continue n to exit: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flopster
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing script output and input to log

Hi Is there a way that I can capture a shell script (both output and input) to a log file where I can analyze it? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
6 Replies

5. Programming

How to accept multiple lines input from User in C?

Hi I want to accept multiple lines input with spaces from User and i have a working code like this. char sRes; char sReq; printf("Please enter request:"); scanf("%",sReq); /* Accept the input from user */ printf("\nPlease enter response:"); scanf("%",sRes); but the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAKhan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + gsub to search multiple input values & replace with located string + extra text

Hi all. I have the following command that is successfully searching for any one of the strings on all lines of a file and replacing it with the instructed value. cat inputFile | awk '{gsub(/aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd/,"1234")}1' > outputFile This does in fact replace any occurrence of aaa, bbb,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazhoop
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting record into multiple records by appending values from an input field (AWK)

Hello, For the input file, I am trying to split those records which have multiple values seperated by '|' in the last input field, into multiple records and each record corresponds to the common input fields + one of the value from the last field. I was trying with an example on this forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imtiaz99
4 Replies

8. Programming

Filling the class from values taken from user input

I have a program that accepts user input. For example I have mdacc that the user sets the value. I then have a class which stores the value set by the user. I use set_param to set the values in the class. I pass through it the list of user defines arguments from argv. What would be the opinion on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference" i have used as #!/usr/bin/ksh calc() { total=$1+$2 echo "$total" diff=$2-$1 echo "$diff" } I have invoked this function as calc 5 8 Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. Programming

Simple capturing of keyboard input without interruption

I would like to make a function or command that checks for keyboard input without interrupting the program and exits the program when a key is pressed (perhaps the 'q' key). The program below monitors and prints/executes commands upon a change in primary (mouse selection) or clipboard buffer. If... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
4 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)