Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware /boot: how do I change the current kernel? Post 302754951 by Corona688 on Friday 11th of January 2013 01:12:46 PM
Old 01-11-2013
Yes, I think that should do it.

Another way to do so, the way I prefer to do it, is to alter the settings for your bootloader so it loads the new kernel instead of the old. That way I don't need to rename files inside /boot all the time. Makes me nervous, doing that.

Be careful to have a livecd or some such handy to fix it, if the new kernel doesn't work.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Current Kernel Development

Information on current kernel development status & Compatibality Status. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
0 Replies

2. SCO

Wanting to boot from a previous kernel

I tried to add ppp on a serial line tty1b and I relink the kernel. Now, I would like to boot from the previous kernel because I lost the connexion for the others terminal (serial lines) too. I would appreciate any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacctono
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to stop other processes and kernel from printing output on current virtual term

Hello All, Background ======== I am creating a virtual appliance console for a software stack on VMware ESXi. I am using Centos 5.x as the Linux distro (Guest OS). I have created a ncurses based application that does the user authentication and present him with some basic controls to do basic... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ku@ntum
2 Replies

4. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check what are the current kernel parameter settings

Hi all, I have four (4) different UNIX flavours and I want to know whether the following commands are correct with respect to wanting to check on what are my current kernel parameter settings. I just want to clear the doubts hanging over my head whether the commands below are the right ones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Loading Kernel module at boot

Is there any link/tutorial on loading Solaris kernel modules at boot time?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisolin
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to display pid and other parameters of current process through kernel module ?

how to display pid and other parameters of current process in linux platform ? i know it can be done through a linux commmand ps -F but i want it done through kernel program thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New kernel won't boot

I compiled new kernel in linux 10.04 called linux-2.6.26.8-xenomai, it runs alongside the other kernel, but when I want to boot it I get an error message saying: Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. After making the modules and headers I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies

10. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
UPDATE-BOOTLOADER(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      UPDATE-BOOTLOADER(1)

NAME
update-bootloader - update/change bootloader configuration using Bootloader::Tools perl module SYNOPSIS
update-bootloader [operation] [options] operation is one of --add, --remove or --refresh. valid options are --help, --man, --image <file>, --initrd <file>, --xen-kernel <file>, --xen, --default, --previous, --name <string>, --force, --force-default. DESCRIPTION
update-bootloader will let you modify your bootloader configuration using Bootloader::Tools perl module. OPERATIONS
--add add an new image section. Needs a call to --refresh to take effect. --remove remove the specified image section. Needs a call to --refresh to take effect. --refresh activate the new config e.g. write boot loader to disk PARAMETER
--help Print a brief help message and exits. --man Prints the manual page and exits. --image file specify path to kernel image --initrd file specify path to initrd file --xen specify that you what to add a xen and not a regular image section --xen-kernel file specify that you what to add a xen section with a specific image. Implies --xen option. --default let the new section to be added be the default section if appropriate. Only allowed together with --add operation --previous set some usuable defaults for image, initrd and name when --name string specify the name of the section to be added/removed --force dont complain, just do the right thing --force-default force the new section to be added to be the default section. Only allowed together with --add operation perl v5.12.1 2010-04-22 UPDATE-BOOTLOADER(1)