Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing multiple values from user input Post 302754919 by jrymer on Friday 11th of January 2013 12:14:32 PM
Old 01-11-2013
Capturing multiple values from user input

Hello,

I need to capture multiple values from user input and do not know how to do it. I'm writing a script to delete old files, but want to give the option to keep some by asking the user.

This is what my output looks like...
Code:
Old files to be deleted...
1 file1
2 file2

Then this bit of code is run after the above is output to keep or delete files.

Code:
echo "Would you like to keep any found  files? (y/n)"
read USER_ANSWER

while [ ${USER_ANSWER} == "y" ]
do
	echo "Type the number associated with the file(s) to be kept."
	read  USER_NUM
	if [ $USER_NUM -gt ${#FILES[@]} -o $USER_NUM -le 0 ]
	then
		echo -e "Invalid."
	else
		echo -e "\nKeeping: " ${FILEST[${USER_NUM}]}"\n"
		touch ${FILES[${USER_NUM}]}
		echo -e "Removing "${FILES[@]}
		break
	fi
done
if [ ${USER_ANSWER} == "n" ]
then
	echo -e "\nDeleting "${FILES[@]}
	rm -r  ${FILES[@]}
fi

And from this point I prompt the user and ask which files they want to keep if any, and they select a number from the above output and it keeps that file. But I want to make it so the user can input more than one number for keeping the files, like typing 1 2 3 4 if they want to keep those four files.

How do I do this? I'm new to bash the more explanation contained in the answer the more I can learn Smilie

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display values from user input array?

Hi all, I wrote a script that reads inputs from user and store in array named "input". The number of elements in the array is not fixed - determined only after user exit the while loop that reads the array values : x=1 echo "Enter first value" read input while } != "exit" ] do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying default values when accepting input from user

Is there a way to display the default answer when accepting input from the user in the unix script.. e.g. ans="n" read $ans?"Enter y to continue n to exit:" altough ans contains n the message doesn't display the current contents on ans .. you get Enter y to continue n to exit: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flopster
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing script output and input to log

Hi Is there a way that I can capture a shell script (both output and input) to a log file where I can analyze it? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
6 Replies

5. Programming

How to accept multiple lines input from User in C?

Hi I want to accept multiple lines input with spaces from User and i have a working code like this. char sRes; char sReq; printf("Please enter request:"); scanf("%",sReq); /* Accept the input from user */ printf("\nPlease enter response:"); scanf("%",sRes); but the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAKhan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + gsub to search multiple input values & replace with located string + extra text

Hi all. I have the following command that is successfully searching for any one of the strings on all lines of a file and replacing it with the instructed value. cat inputFile | awk '{gsub(/aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd/,"1234")}1' > outputFile This does in fact replace any occurrence of aaa, bbb,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazhoop
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting record into multiple records by appending values from an input field (AWK)

Hello, For the input file, I am trying to split those records which have multiple values seperated by '|' in the last input field, into multiple records and each record corresponds to the common input fields + one of the value from the last field. I was trying with an example on this forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imtiaz99
4 Replies

8. Programming

Filling the class from values taken from user input

I have a program that accepts user input. For example I have mdacc that the user sets the value. I then have a class which stores the value set by the user. I use set_param to set the values in the class. I pass through it the list of user defines arguments from argv. What would be the opinion on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference" i have used as #!/usr/bin/ksh calc() { total=$1+$2 echo "$total" diff=$2-$1 echo "$diff" } I have invoked this function as calc 5 8 Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. Programming

Simple capturing of keyboard input without interruption

I would like to make a function or command that checks for keyboard input without interrupting the program and exits the program when a key is pressed (perhaps the 'q' key). The program below monitors and prints/executes commands upon a change in primary (mouse selection) or clipboard buffer. If... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
4 Replies
asadmin-delete-domain(1AS)					   User Commands					asadmin-delete-domain(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-delete-domain, delete-domain - deletes the givendomain SYNOPSIS
delete-domain [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--domaindir install_dir/domains] domain_name delete-domain deletes the specified domain. The domain must already exist and must be stopped. This command is supported in local mode only. OPTIONS
--domaindir directory where the domain is to be deleted. If specified, path must be accessible in the filesystem. If not speci- fied, the domain in the default install_dir/domains directory is deleted. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. OPERANDS
domain_name name of the domain. Must be a unique name. Example 1: Using delete-domain asadmin> delete-domain sampleDomain deleted domain sampleDomain successfully Where: the sampleDomain domain is deleted. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-domain(1AS), asadmin-start-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-list-domains(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-domain(1AS)