Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nested if else
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nested if else Post 302754583 by Yoda on Thursday 10th of January 2013 06:28:17 PM
Old 01-10-2013
That is Useless Use of Cat and Useless Use of wc -l

Try this code:
Code:
if [ -f ${LOGFILE} ]; then
        x=$( grep -c STOP /tmp/testoutput.log )
        y=$( grep -c RUN  /tmp/testoutput.log )
        if [ $x -gt 0 ]; then
                echo "process stop"
        fi
        if [ $y -gt 0 ]; then
                echo "process running "
        fi
else
        echo "file not found"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested variables

Is there any way to do variable nesting using sh? For example: example_1="a test string" example_2="another test" example_3="etc..." i=2 echo ${example_$i} The shell reports: sh: ${example_$i}: bad substitution If not, maybe someone could suggest another method. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinl33
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested for loops

I need help getting over this bump on how nested for loops work in shell. Say i was comparing files in a directory in any other language my for loop would look like so for(int i=0;to then end; i++) for(int y = i+1; to the end; y++) I can't seem to understand how i can translate that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested for loops

Greetings All, The following script attempts to enumerate all users in all groups in the group file(GROUP) and echo the following information: GROUP ---> USER The script is as follows: IFS="," for GROUP in `ypcat -k group | cut -d" " -f1` do for USER in `ypcat -k group... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacksolm
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if in KSH

Trying to clean up the last little thing in this script which is that the mv always performs no matter whether it is needed or not. It doesn't cause any bugs just prints an unsightly "can't mv source and dest are the same". Obviously I want to get rid of it but having issues getting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calbrenar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested case

Hi there, I have nested case in my script. I am asking user, want to continue? if user press y/Y then my inner case should continue, rather than that my code start from beginning. I would like to continue my inner case until user press n or N. Is any one tell me how can I do? Thanking You,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasparov
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize the nested IF

Hi, I have to assign a value for a varaiable based on a Input. I have written the below code: if then nf=65 elif then nf=46 elif then nf=164 elif then nf=545 elif then nf=56 elif then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if loop

Hi Team, I just want to check whether my nested if loop used is correct or not. if ] if ] export1 else export2 fi else if ] export3 else export4 fi fi Thanks Shiva (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar_S
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested if else -error

HI everyone, I am not able to find error in the script, when i run the script till line No. 20 i.e, read var4 everything runs fine. After that the script exits out. #!/bin/bash echo -e "Want dryrun OR merge: \n " read var1 if ] ; then echo -e "\n Please select from the given... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishi.aradhya
10 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)