Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Best rules as a contractor
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Best rules as a contractor Post 302754159 by Neo on Thursday 10th of January 2013 07:11:41 AM
Old 01-10-2013
Most of my career, over 95%, was as a self-employed person.

The formula is quite simple:
  • Honest, integrity, professionalism and honor above all.
  • Strong, current, relevant technical skills - always learning
  • Flexible, adaptive, and considerate to others and ideas
  • Hourly wages should be high enough for you to pay your own benefits, etc.

I also have a lot of experience on the other side of the equation, hiring contractors. I can tell you, for a fact, it is nearly impossible to find honest technical contractors who don't lie and fake their resume and references. In some countries, it is almost like resume cheating is the subculture norm.

I've even tried hiring "by the job" to do simple tasks like program some small code in PHP or HTML; and it is nearly impossible to get someone who can do a 1 hour job in less than three days or even weeks, LOL.

I've read so many "super duper" resumes, experts in this and that; but when I ask to just demonstrate some simple coding skills, the candidate falls apart with excuse after excuse.

So, to be a great contractor and make money is easy; if you are honest, skillful and all the things mentioned above.

Too many people are looking for shortcuts, they will lie and cheat and fake their skills on their resume and they struggle all their career. The people who just do the work, learn the skills, become experts, real experts, not fake ones; find that contracting is very easy (and rewarding!) and the money will flow and you will have a good life.

It's easy... their are no shortcuts, only hard work, honesty and integrity.

Without honor, all is lost.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rules?

What rules? I have been searching for hours on the internet and just cannot seem to find the command you would type to add a serial port or the file that specifies whether a filesystem shoudl be mounted at boot time or not............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xskwizitboi
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Rules

https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=2971 Spelling Error. You 'Adhere' to rules, not adhear. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tux
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

rules

rules are there but asking 2 questions out of 30 is surely understanable esp when the instructor gives an open book test and urged us to seek answers anywhere we can except from him directly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrn
2 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Homework rules !

Why do you ask about prof info at homeworks forum..... do you contact to prof and tell him that this student asked for our help? I asked that because some of them are very strickt and conseder that as cheating (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
4 Replies
NUMFMT_SET_SYMBOL(3)							 1						      NUMFMT_SET_SYMBOL(3)

NumberFormatter::setSymbol - Set a symbol value

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public bool NumberFormatter::setSymbol (int $attr, string $value) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style bool numfmt_set_symbol (NumberFormatter $fmt, int $attr, string $value) Set a symbol associated with the formatter. The formatter uses symbols to represent the special locale-dependent characters in a number, for example the percent sign. This API is not supported for rule-based formatters. PARAMETERS
o $fmt -NumberFormatter object. o $attr - Symbol specifier, one of the format symbol constants. o $value - Text for the symbol. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 numfmt_set_symbol(3) example <?php $fmt = numfmt_create( 'de_DE', NumberFormatter::DECIMAL ); echo "Sep: ".numfmt_get_symbol($fmt, NumberFormatter::GROUPING_SEPARATOR_SYMBOL)." "; echo numfmt_format($fmt, 1234567.891234567890000)." "; numfmt_set_symbol($fmt, NumberFormatter::GROUPING_SEPARATOR_SYMBOL, "*"); echo "Sep: ".numfmt_get_symbol($fmt, NumberFormatter::GROUPING_SEPARATOR_SYMBOL)." "; echo numfmt_format($fmt, 1234567.891234567890000)." "; ?> Example #2 OO example <?php $fmt = new NumberFormatter( 'de_DE', NumberFormatter::DECIMAL ); echo "Sep: ".$fmt->getSymbol(NumberFormatter::GROUPING_SEPARATOR_SYMBOL)." "; echo $fmt->format(1234567.891234567890000)." "; $fmt->setSymbol(NumberFormatter::GROUPING_SEPARATOR_SYMBOL, "*"); echo "Sep: ".$fmt->getSymbol(NumberFormatter::GROUPING_SEPARATOR_SYMBOL)." "; echo $fmt->format(1234567.891234567890000)." "; ?> The above example will output: Sep: . 1.234.567,891 Sep: * 1*234*567,891 SEE ALSO
numfmt_get_error_code(3), numfmt_get_symbol(3). PHP Documentation Group NUMFMT_SET_SYMBOL(3)