Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash shell: Replace a text block by another Post 302754155 by RudiC on Thursday 10th of January 2013 07:09:43 AM
Old 01-10-2013
After some fiddling around with above proposal, this version will do the job:
Code:
$ awk  'FNR==NR{Ar[++x]=$0;next}
        $0==Ar[1] { while ($0 != "}") getline; getline; for (i=1;i<=x;i++) print Ar[i]}
       ' file1 file
function XYZ()
{
  blablabla;
  blablabla;
}
function ABC()
{
 another blablabla;
 another blablabla;
 another blablabla;
}
function ABC1()
{
  blablabla;
  blablabla;
}

As awk appears to be a bit curt on the empty parentheses pair for a regex, we need to test for the exact identity in order not to lose the pair to distinguish that function from those with similar names. The second getline is needed to consume the last single }.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find, copy and replace text in bash or sh

here is my prob .. i have a very large text files and i need to locate specific lines, copy them and then replace a single word in the replaced text example find all lines that contain '/etc', copy the line immediately below (not at the end of the file) and then replace '/etc' with '/root'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmvbxx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to replace text

I need a little help with a shell script. I want to be able to specify parameters so that the script searches multiple files (specified as parameters) and only modifies the file if it finds the string of text. For the files it doesn't find the string of text within, it should leave it alone. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joebaber
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text block in multiple files

I need to replace (delete) a text block in a bunch of files, its a html table, almost at the end of pages but the location varies. In Windows I used Filemonkey, but nothing like that in Unix? There is replace from mysql, but how does it deal with newlines? sed only works with single lines,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiland
6 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with bash shell to alter text file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: My first question pertains to the adding a book section, I'm unsure which command or conditional statement I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vitrophyre
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace block of text with content of another file

Hello, file1: not to be changed not to be changed <start> old stuff old stuff old stuff <end> not to be changed not to be changed file2: new text new text desired output: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to replace characters in a text file

Can I just say, this is such a frustrating and yet enormously rewarding field of study. I'm in the middle of configuring GeekTool (Uh oh, stupid n00b) and I really only have one question. I'm using Automator to grab a RSS feed, having GeekTool continually run that application every 10 minutes,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SomeTechGuy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace word with multiline text using shell scripting.

Hi all I have data files which contain data as shown below: Line 5: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan INST_NME: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan Line 6: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the USA => MAID DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell or perl script to replace XML text in bulk

Hi, I am looking for assistance over shell or perl (without XML twig module) which replace string in XML file under particular branch..example of code file sample.. Exact requirment : Replace "Su saldo es" in below file with "Your balance" but only in XML branch of Text id=98 and Text Id=12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashu_099
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to replace text file from a lookup file

Hi. I need assistance with the replacing of text into a specific file via a bash script. My bash script, once run, currently provides a menu of computer names to choose.The script copies onto my system various files, depending what computer was selected in the menu.This is working OK. Now, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonesn2000
1 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): Before glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _GNU_SOURCE Since glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)