Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop Post 302753957 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 06:47:52 PM
Old 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooda
Code:
 ( sleep 3
 echo ${LOGIN}
 sleep 2
 echo ${PSWD}
 sleep 2
 while read line
 do
 echo "$line"
 PID=$?
  sleep 2
  kill -9 $PID
done < temp
 sleep 5
 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST}

while is executing only command and exits.
Let's look at just three commands in this script:
Code:
 PID=$?
  sleep 2
  kill -9 $PID

The first command in this list sets the variable PID to the exit status of the previous command (echo "$line") which is almost always going to be 0. The second command causes the script to wait for about 2 seconds. Then the third command (after parameter expansion) is:
Code:
kill -9 0

This is a request to terminate all processes in the current process group. On most systems, killing all processes in the current process group includes killing the shell that is running this script.

What process were you trying to kill?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why Does Command Run From Prompt But Not From Script?

I hope someone can shed any light on this mystery. I am trying to run the following command: su userID -c remsh server -l userid -n "awk -F^ '\$4 == \"SMITH\"' /tmp/infromational/version74b/LIVE/TEMPORARY/ABCfiles/HLC_Database_File.bat|head -1" > /tmp/variant/45BV32/var/store13.logfnd I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run DB2 export command in loop

Hi All, I have list of 100 table names in a file, how to read table name from and pass to DB2 export command and run for all tables in loop. Please help me with script. db2 EXPORT TO ~/data_export/<table name from file>.ixf OF IXF MESSAGES messages.txt "SELECT * FROM ITG.<Table Name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to run a command in a new terminal

Hey, I am trying to write a script that will open all of my session windows, and then secure shell into the appropriate server in the new windows. Seems simple, but I cant get it to work! Please help! :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sojo1024
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script will not run cp command

Hi, Not sure what the issue is here, but when i run the script. A simple copy command, it does not find the cp command ? See scrpt below : #!/bin/sh set -x ############################################# # Backup Processes #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I run a shell command in a while loop?

The command is: sic -h irc.freenode.net 2>&1 | tee -a irc.log Where sic is an IRC client, and I'm piping the output to tee in order to log my IRC sessions. I'm trying to handle reconnects by running it in a while loop in the shell process and cat the initial commands into sic's stdin. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run command one by one

Hi, I have run a lot of commands one after one, but I can't run them simultaneous. One command has to run and when finished second command has to run etc. Also I would like to save all the outputs created by the commands in a file. The commands can sometimes take hours, so it is also... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: misterx12345
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script like command

hello i have write a script which can create username + password #!/bin/bash # Script to add a user to Linux system if ; then read -p "Enter username : " username read -s -p "Enter password : " password egrep "^$username" /etc/passwd >/dev/null if ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a loop for multiple files in a folder to run awk command?

Dear folks I have two data set which there names are "final.map" and "1.geno" and look like this structures: final.map: gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2044 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2048 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2187 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 17654 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
2 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-Z, --context pattern] [-e, --exact] [-g, --process-group] [-i, --interactive] [-n, --ns PID] [-o, --older-than TIME] [-q, --quiet] [-r, --regexp] [-s, --signal SIGNAL, -SIGNAL] [-u, --user user] [-v, --verbose] [-w, --wait] [-y, --younger-than TIME] [-I, --ignore-case] [-V, --version] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V, --version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP or -SIGHUP) or by number (e.g. -1) or by option -s. If the command name is not regular expression (option -r) and contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each listed command, or no commands were listed and at least one process matched the -u and -Z search criteria. killall returns non-zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -I, --ignore-case Do case insensitive process name match. -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belonging to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -n, --ns Match against the PID namespace of the given PID. Use 0 to match against all namespaces. The default is to match against the current PID namespace. -o, --older-than Match only processes that are older (started before) the time specified. The time is specified as a float then a unit. The units are s,m,h,d,w,M,y for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, Months and years respectively. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -r, --regexp Interpret process name pattern as a POSIX extended regular expression, per regex(3). -s, --signal, -SIGNAL Send this signal instead of SIGTERM. -u, --user Kill only processes the specified user owns. Command names are optional. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -y, --younger-than Match only processes that are younger (started after) the time specified. The time is specified as a float then a unit. The units are s,m,h,d,w,M,y for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, Months and years respectively. -Z, --context (SELinux Only) Specify security context: kill only processes having security context that match with given extended regular expres- sion pattern. Must precede other arguments on the command line. Command names are optional. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. If processes change their name, killall may not be able to match them correctly. killall has a limit of names that can be specified on the command line. This figure is the size of an unsigned long multiplied by 8. For most 32 bit systems the limit is 32 and similarly for a 64 bit system the limit is usually 64. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2), regex(3). psmisc 2017-06-12 KILLALL(1)