Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot pass rsh and awk command into a variable Post 302753797 by elcounto on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 11:14:11 AM
Old 01-09-2013
Cannot pass rsh and awk command into a variable

Hello,

I'm having some issues getting a home dir from a remote server passed to a variable.

Here is what I have so far:

Code:
rsh server "(ls -ld /home*/user | awk '{print \$9}')"
/home3/user

That works fine and brings back what I need.

But when I try to add it to a variable it goes all wrong!

Code:
HOMEDIR=`rsh server "(ls -ld /home*/user| awk '{print \$9}')"`
print $HOMEDIR
drwxrwsrwx 2 user staff 512 12 Oct 2011 /home3/user

Can anyone please explain what's going wrong?

Many thanks,
P.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pass variable to awk

i would like to pass a variable to awk wherein the variable comes from external loop. i tried this... let x=0 until test $x -eq 32 do cat file | awk '{ print $1 , "Number" , $($x) }' >> output done thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I pass awk variable to system command?

I wanna use a system function to deal with several data. So I use awk variable FILENAME to transfer the file directory to system command, but it does not work. I use a shell function "out_function" to deal with data and save the result in another directory with the same file name. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhynxn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable to Awk ?

I am trying to pass 2 shell variable's ("START" and "END") define earlier in the script to this awk statement, but i can't seem to pass it on. PLs help. set START = xxxx set END = yyyy set selected_file = `awk '/$START/,/$END/' filename` (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
24 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I pass a variable to awk?

I have an awk statement where I Need to pass an environment variable but I cannot get it to work: My evironment varible examples below: $FILE1=/dev/fs/file.new $FILE2=/dev/fs/file.old Code below: awk -F"|" ' BEGIN { while( getline < "$FILE1" ) { arr=1 } } arr != 1 { print } '... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: eja
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass script variable value to AWK

HI all, some more mistery about AWK, I hope you can help me out: 1) I have a normal ksh script and sometime I call awk command. I set some variables in the script and I would like to use them up within AWK as well. Unfortunately AWK seems to forget all the variable values outside of its own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BearCheese
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass variable in NR function used in awk command?

Hi I want to pass variables with the NR function in awk command. test_file1 is input file having 500 records. var1=100. var2=200 awk -F" " 'NR >= $var1 && NR <= $var2' test_file1 > test_file2. My end result should be that test_file2 should have records from line number between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishithinfy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, double variable, for loop and rsh

Hello folks, I've a (perhaps) simple question. In a text file I've : server_name1: directory1 server_name2: directory2 server_name3: directory3 I want to make a loop that lets me connect and operate on every server: rsh server_name1 "ls -l directory1" I've tried with awk,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass variable to awk command search string

I must have forgot how to do this, but, I am attempting to enter a variable into an awk / gawk search pattern. I am getting a value from user input to place in a specific section of a 132 character string. my default command is .... gawk --re-interval '/^(.{3}P .{4}CYA.{8}1)/' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdeevers
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
mnthome(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						mnthome(1)

NAME
mnthome -- mount an AFP (AppleShare) home directory with the correct privileges SYNOPSIS
mnthome [-v] [-d] [-m mntpath] [-n] [-b] [-p password] [-i] [-x mount point] [-u] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The mnthome command unmounts the AFP (AppleShare) home directory that was automounted as guest, and remounts it with the correct privileges by logging into the AFP server using the current username and password. This command also allows you to have guest access turned off on your AFP server too and still have AFP home directories work with "su". When you ssh into another computer using an account that has an AFP home directory or you "su <netuser>" where <netuser> is an AFP home directory user, then the resulting home directory will not have the correct access privileges. This is because automount is assuming NFS behavior which assumes that all computers share the same user/group privileges and mounts volumes using "no security" and lets the client enforce privileges based on the current user. AFP is different since the privileges are based on the user that logged into the server. Since automount does not put up an authentication dialog asking for an user name and password, automount mounts the fileserver using guest login. Thus you end up with getting the world access privileges and the privileges are shown via "mapping". You also would have to allow guest access to the server to that sharepoint. Mapping makes all the files/folders appear like they are owned by the current user. Even those items not really owned by the current user show up as being owned by the current user. The server provides user access rights (UARights) which is a summary of what the access rights are regardless of the category (owner, group, world) from which they were obtained. When doing "mapping", the AppleShare client will take these UARights and show them as the owner rights. So, everything looks like it is owned by the current user and the owner rights are set to the UARights. Thus if you had access to that file/folder before, then you still do. The options are: -v Display version number. -d Print debugging information. -m Alternative mount point is specified with the -m option followed by a path to an existing directory. Normally, the volume is mounted in /Network/Servers/ or /var/automount/Network/Servers/. -n Do not force the unmount of the previous mount point. -b Exec the user's shell after mount of home. -p A password may be specified with the -p option followed by a password. If this option is not used, then the user will be prompted to enter in a password. -i Display information about the AFP home mount point. -u Attempt to unmount the current home directory mount. -x This option must be followed by a path to an existing AFP mount point. Display information about the mount point. -s Skip preflight check to see if the currently mounted home directory is already correctly mounted for the user. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount an AFP home directory: mnthome This example shows how to print the debugging information and provide a password: mnthome -d -p foobar SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) mount_afp(8) BUGS
I get the mounting url from the "home_loc" attribute and the mountpath from the "home" attribute (with the path from home_loc subtracted out). If your AFP home directory automounts in a different location, then you need to use the -m option to specify an alternative mount point. I cant figure out how to cd out of the current home dir so I can do the unmount and then restore the user back into the new home dir. If you are in the AFP home directory when you use mnthome, you automatically get put back into that same directory when mnthome leaves. If mnthome works, then your current directory is a dead directory and you need to "cd ~" to get to your new home directory. If the server with the home directory was already mounted by another user, you will not be able to replace it with a mount made by your user id. The original mount must be first unmounted by the mounting user or root. HISTORY
The mnthome command first appeared Mac OS X version 10.3. RETURN VALUES
0 mnthome successfully remounted the AFP home directory. [EINVAL] Invalid arguements were passed in. [EPERM] The current AFP home directory could not be unmounted by mnthome because the current user does not have the correct access. The current AFP home directory was probably mounted by another user first. [EAUTH] Incorrect password. Mac OS X August 4, 2004 Mac OS X