Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Handle error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handle error Post 302753477 by ust on Tuesday 8th of January 2013 08:21:29 PM
Old 01-08-2013
So there's an error in the backup file, but you don't care about it, because it's not inside files you care about...? ==> I think the output messages is only for alert , as the backup is complete , I think it can be ignore.

I still think that's a cause for concern.

Better to fix the error than try to selectively ignore them. You'll end up ignoring errors you shouldn't and land in real trouble.

==> the error is not easy to fix , as the files is always writing ( this is system log file ) , therefore , the "message" is presist. is there any better way to modify the script , so that it can ignore such messages , can kindly advise the backup script ?

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

handle core

Hi I am looking for analog of the Windows "try-except" C code statement that enables target applications to gain control when events that normally terminate program execution occur. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlad
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to handle memory error?

Hi, I need to know what is the right way of handling out of memory conditions. If a program is not able to dynamically allocate memory (new fails), is it right to wait for some amount of time (say 5 sec) and then try again to allocate memory? Or should we kill the process and again restart it?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diganta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP - To handle error while transferring files

Hi, I had written an FTP script where in I loop through the directories and transfer the files from each and every directory of Windows to UNIX. Now the problem is when 1. The connection is unable to be established I should return some error codes 2. When there is some system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to handle my own mail

I installed sendmail and pine and I could send emails to other people succesffly. However no matter what I try I cannot receive other people's email. The only messages sitting in my pine inbox are system notifications sent to root@knoppix. Then I think the problem is that my mail is handled by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Error Message: find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle

I am using the "find" command below and it respond with the error message " find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle" what does it mean? what can I do about it? Need advice, thanks. below are the command that I enter, the respond and the error message: root@ScripServer:/# find / -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
1 Replies

6. Solaris

NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle

:confused:Hi all When i see in the /var/adm/messages, i saw the following error unix: NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle. unix: (file handle: 45ca415 3e7 a0000 2c7f6 3ebfc25f a0000 2 3e49) It is using sunOS 5.7. Is anybody know what is this error? Is is related to any network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

handle decimals

Hi All, How we can handle decimals in (Float) in UNIX. a=73 b=5 c=`expr a / b` i am getting 14 but i need full 14.6 . Can any one help me pls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle one value below the other

Hi, I, have an output with 3 different values each below the other like: # echo $bla 123 345 234 Each value is in one line and for the further processing I need every single value. For example is there a way to grep line 2, like: # echo $bla | grep --line 2 345 :) Thank you in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between handle to the thread HANDLE and thread identifier pthread_t

This question might be silly but its confusing me a bit: What is the difference between handle to the thread HANDLE and thread identifier pthread_t? ---------- Post updated at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:48 PM ---------- Sorry I saw details and HANDLE is in windows and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

10. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)