Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Oneliner ---split string to character by piping shell output to perl Post 302752645 by radoulov on Monday 7th of January 2013 10:46:15 AM
Old 01-07-2013
All in Perl:
Code:
echo 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' | 
  perl -le '/\S/ and $cnt{"\L$_"}++ for split //, <>;
  END {
    print "$cnt{$_} $_"
      for sort keys %cnt;
    }'

If I understand correctly what you mean by "perl oneliner",
I would suggest Effective Perl Programming: Ways to Write Better, More Idiomatic Perl (2nd Edition).
This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping and assigning output to a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh code into Perl. But i have the following error. Can any expert help ? Error: ls: *tac: No such file or directory Csh set $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; Perl my $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl use split and remove specific character

i want to split the input by a space and remove specific characters like full stop, comma...... etc. and then save each word in an array. i got something below, but it didn't work. can anyone please help me? Thank you #!/usr/bin/perl -w while (<>) { $line = <>; @word = split(' ',... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get split output of a file, using perl script

Hi, I have file: data.log.1 ### s1 main.build.3495 main.build.199 main.build.3408 ###s2 main.build.3495 main.build.3408 main.build.199 I want to read this file and store in two arrays in Perl. I have following command, which is working fine on command prompt. perl -n -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashvini
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl oneliner not works .pl script

I am trying to take first 3 columns in a file which matches the word "abc", but i am getting the below error, <error> Global symbol "@F" requires explicit package name at ./new.pl </error> whereas when i give the below,grep abc /home/test/file.txt|perl -lane 'print \"$F $F $F\" in unix prompt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anspks
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl oneliner to cut the file

Hi I have a file say text.txt and has data as below. text.txt ------- /abc/def/tom/hanks /abc/def/al/pacino /def/dgg/matt/damon Now I have to cut the field 3 and field 4 treating / as delimiter and save in the same file. Below is the how the output should be in the same file. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

split string using sed, perl

How can I split following input into stwo strings: Input: 1^~^2^~^3^~^4^~^5^~^6^~^7^~^8^~^9 Output: $string1 = 1^~^2^~^ $string2 = 3^~^4^~^5^~^6^~^7^~^8^~^9 Note: the length of string may vary, say upto 15. String 1 will contain only first two. string2 will contain... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to split a string and write the output in another file.

hi, i am trying to write a script to generate ouput in the following format: ##### buildappi abcd_sh nodebug.##### ##### buildappi ijk_sh nodebug.##### The given string is as follows: xtopSharedDLLs = "abcd_sh def_sh ijk_sh " \ + "jkl_sh any_sh... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the string in perl

Hi All, How to split the string KAR_Celltick_Ban_GSMGW3 and want to pickup the third filed. Sometime the string may be "KAR_Celltick_Ban" like this Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sujit_kashyap
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split string separated by special character

Hello I have string (string can have more sections) LINE="AA;BB;CC;DD;EE"I would like to assigne each part of string separated by ";" to some new variable. Can someone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies
Text::Context::EitherSide(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Text::Context::EitherSide(3pm)

NAME
Text::Context::EitherSide - Get n words either side of search keywords SYNOPSIS
use Text::Context::EitherSide; my $text = "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog"; my $context = Text::Context::EitherSide->new($text); $context->as_string("fox") # "... quick brown fox jumped over ..." $context->as_string("fox", "jumped") # "... quick brown fox jumped over the ..." my $context = Text::Context::EitherSide->new($text, context => 1); # 1 word on either side $context->as_string("fox", "jumped", "dog"); # "... brown fox jumped over ... lazy dog", Or, if you don't believe in all this OO rubbish: use Text::Context::EitherSide qw(get_context); get_context(1, $text, "fox", "jumped", "dog") # "... brown fox jumped over ... lazy dog" DESCRIPTION
Suppose you have a large piece of text - typically, say, a web page or a mail message. And now suppose you've done some kind of full-text search on that text for a bunch of keywords, and you want to display the context in which you found the keywords inside the body of the text. A simple-minded way to do that would be just to get the two words either side of each keyword. But hey, don't be too simple minded, because you've got to make sure that the list doesn't overlap. If you have the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog and you extract two words either side of "fox", "jumped" and "dog", you really don't want to end up with quick brown fox jumped over brown fox jumped over the the lazy dog so you need a small amount of smarts. This module has a small amount of smarts. EXPORTABLE
get_context This is primarily an object-oriented module. If you don't care about that, just import the "get_context" subroutine, and call it like so: get_context($num_of_words, $text, @words_to_find) and you'll get back a string with ellipses as in the synopsis. That's all that most people need to know. But if you want to do clever stuff... METHODS
new my $c = Text::Context::EitherSite->new($text [, context=> $n]); Create a new object storing some text to be searched, plus optionally some information about how many words on either side you want. (If you don't like the default of 2.) context $c->context(5); Allows you to get and set the number of the words on either side. as_sparse_list $c->as_sparse_list(@keywords) Returns the keywords, plus n words on either side, as a sparse list; the original text is split into an array of words, and non-contextual elements are replaced with "undef"s. (That's not actually how it works, but conceptually, it's the same.) as_list $c->as_list(@keywords) The same as "as_sparse_list", but single or multiple "undef"s are collapsed into a single ellipsis: (undef, "foo", undef, undef, undef, "bar") becomes ("...", "foo", "...", "bar") as_string $c->as_string(@keywords) Takes the "as_list" output above and joins them all together into a string. This is what most people want from "Text::Context::EitherSide". EXPORT "get_context" is available as a shortcut for Text::Context::EitherSide->new($text, context => $n)->as_string(@words); but needs to be explicitly imported. Nothing is exported by default. SEE ALSO
Text::Context is an even smarter way of extracting a contextual string. AUTHOR
Current maintainer: Tony Bowden Original author: Simon Cozens BUGS and QUERIES Please direct all correspondence regarding this module to: bug-Text-Context-EitherSide@rt.cpan.org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2002-2005 by Kasei Limited, http://www.kasei.com/ You may use and redistribute this module under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0. http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_2_0 perl v5.10.0 2009-05-04 Text::Context::EitherSide(3pm)