Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Oneliner ---split string to character by piping shell output to perl Post 302752639 by yifangt on Monday 7th of January 2013 10:40:56 AM
Old 01-07-2013
Thanks roudlov!
There is small bug where "T" and "t" were both counted 2 times. Actually only "t" is needed as "T" should be counted as "t". Anyway, "split //, <>" played the trick for my case. I can pipe the output with sort | unique to get the count:
Code:
echo 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' | perl -le 'print join "$/", grep /\S/, split //, <>' | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | sort | uniq -c

By the way, do you have a good resource to learn perl oneliner? Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping and assigning output to a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh code into Perl. But i have the following error. Can any expert help ? Error: ls: *tac: No such file or directory Csh set $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; Perl my $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl use split and remove specific character

i want to split the input by a space and remove specific characters like full stop, comma...... etc. and then save each word in an array. i got something below, but it didn't work. can anyone please help me? Thank you #!/usr/bin/perl -w while (<>) { $line = <>; @word = split(' ',... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get split output of a file, using perl script

Hi, I have file: data.log.1 ### s1 main.build.3495 main.build.199 main.build.3408 ###s2 main.build.3495 main.build.3408 main.build.199 I want to read this file and store in two arrays in Perl. I have following command, which is working fine on command prompt. perl -n -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashvini
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl oneliner not works .pl script

I am trying to take first 3 columns in a file which matches the word "abc", but i am getting the below error, <error> Global symbol "@F" requires explicit package name at ./new.pl </error> whereas when i give the below,grep abc /home/test/file.txt|perl -lane 'print \"$F $F $F\" in unix prompt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anspks
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl oneliner to cut the file

Hi I have a file say text.txt and has data as below. text.txt ------- /abc/def/tom/hanks /abc/def/al/pacino /def/dgg/matt/damon Now I have to cut the field 3 and field 4 treating / as delimiter and save in the same file. Below is the how the output should be in the same file. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

split string using sed, perl

How can I split following input into stwo strings: Input: 1^~^2^~^3^~^4^~^5^~^6^~^7^~^8^~^9 Output: $string1 = 1^~^2^~^ $string2 = 3^~^4^~^5^~^6^~^7^~^8^~^9 Note: the length of string may vary, say upto 15. String 1 will contain only first two. string2 will contain... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to split a string and write the output in another file.

hi, i am trying to write a script to generate ouput in the following format: ##### buildappi abcd_sh nodebug.##### ##### buildappi ijk_sh nodebug.##### The given string is as follows: xtopSharedDLLs = "abcd_sh def_sh ijk_sh " \ + "jkl_sh any_sh... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the string in perl

Hi All, How to split the string KAR_Celltick_Ban_GSMGW3 and want to pickup the third filed. Sometime the string may be "KAR_Celltick_Ban" like this Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sujit_kashyap
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split string separated by special character

Hello I have string (string can have more sections) LINE="AA;BB;CC;DD;EE"I would like to assigne each part of string separated by ";" to some new variable. Can someone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies
textutil::split(3tcl)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			     textutil::split(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::split - Procedures to split texts SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::split ?0.7? ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::split provides commands that split strings by size and arbitrary regular expressions. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? This command splits the given string into chunks of len characters and returns a list containing these chunks. The argument len defaults to 1 if none is specified. A negative length is not allowed and will cause the command to throw an error. Providing an empty string as input is allowed, the command will then return an empty list. If the length of the string is not an entire multiple of the chunk length, then the last chunk in the generated list will be shorter than len. ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? This command splits the string and return a list. The string is split according to the regular expression regexp instead of a simple list of chars. Note that if you parentheses are added into the regexp, the parentheses part of separator will be added into the result list as additional element. If the string is empty the result is the empty list, like for split. If regexp is empty the string is split at every character, like split does. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[\t \r\n]+". BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(3tcl), split(3tcl), string(3tcl) KEYWORDS
regular expression, split, string CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::split(3tcl)