Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass Parameters to awk command Post 302752355 by Yoda on Monday 7th of January 2013 12:39:45 AM
Old 01-07-2013
Code:
FILE="partial.txt"
LEN=285

echo | awk -v l="$LEN" -v file="$FILE" '{s="%-"l"s\n"; while(( getline line < file  ) > 0 ) { print s,line; } } '

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass parameters to an awk file?

I have an awk file where I need to pass a filename and a value as a parameter from a sh script. I need to know how to pass those values in the sh script and how to use the same in the awk file. Thanks in advance!!! Geetha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command line arguments to awk

I am trying to pass max as a sommand line argument when I call awk. Made the modification in the BEGIN but it is not working I'm getting an error as below: awk: txsrx.awk:82: (FILENAME=jcd.tx FNR=4161) fatal: cannot open file `40' for reading (No such file or directory) Somehow it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameters to function

Hi, for example I have this function: function get_param () { test=echo "some string" test2=echo "someother string" } I want to call this function and get test or test2 result, how do I do that ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to pass parameters to awk script from shell script

Hello, I have this awk script that I want to execute by passing parameters through a shell script. I'm a little confused. This awk script removes duplicates from an input file. Ok, so I have a .sh file called rem_dups.sh #!/usr/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to pass parameters to working and tested awk script

I have a working and tested AWK script that removes duplicates from an input file and generates an output file without the duplicates. I had help from my other post to develop it: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass shell parameters to awk does not work

Why does this work for myfile in `find . -name "R*VER" -mtime +1` do SHELLVAR=`grep ^err $myfile || echo "No error"` ECHO $SHELLVAR done and outputs No error err ->BIST Login Fail 3922 err No error err ->IR Remote Key 1 3310 err But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Pass two parameters

Hi I have a batch file aaa.exe which needs two input parameters: Usually the command's format likes aaa 555 10000 But I want to use parameters to do it. aaa $1 $2 These two parameters come from a text file list.txt 41800497 41801375 41814783 41816135 41814930 41816135 41819987 41820843... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash- Command run from script does not pass full parameters with spaces inside

There's a JavaScript file that I call from command line (there's a framework) like so: ./RunDiag.js param1:'string one here' param2:'string two here' I have a shell script where I invoke the above command. I can run it in a script as simple as this #!/bin/bash stuff="./RunDiag.js... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot pass rsh and awk command into a variable

Hello, I'm having some issues getting a home dir from a remote server passed to a variable. Here is what I have so far: rsh server "(ls -ld /home*/user | awk '{print \$9}')" /home3/userThat works fine and brings back what I need. But when I try to add it to a variable it goes all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-terminated and includes the newline character, if a newline delimiter was found. If *lineptr is NULL, the getline() routine will allocate a buffer for containing the line, which must be freed by the user program. Alter- natively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc()-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line read in, getline() resizes the buffer to fit with realloc(), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null character. This value can be used to handle embedded null characters in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end of file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad parameters (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE * fp; char * line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } if (line) free(line); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() are GNU extensions. They are available since libc 4.6.27. SEE ALSO
read(2), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), fgets(3), scanf(3) GNU
2001-10-07 GETLINE(3)