Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple script for adding users Post 302752165 by vish6251 on Saturday 5th of January 2013 09:21:02 PM
Old 01-05-2013
theres one more problem in the script, whenever we run the script it says "file for user already exists", even if the user is being created for the 1st time. I think the problem is here :
Code:
copyFiles() {
        cd $4$user
        old=_old
        if [[ $? -eq 0 ]]; then
                echo "file for $4$user already exists !"
                echo "Do you want to overwrite the file (y/n):\c"
                read answer

here it checks if return code is equal to 0, if yes then shows that error. but how can it get a return code as 0, if the dir is not there? i tried to resolve this error but couldnt do it. would appreciate any help here..

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding users

Anyone have a simple shell script that will prompt and accept screen input for each field that is required in the /etc/passwd file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash to users' input

Hi, I need to convert user-input from '(this)' to '\(this\)' before passing it to egrep. I've tried using TR, SED and NAWK to add the backslash, but the most I ever get is a backslash without a '(' or ')'. Any ideas? Thanks! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: netguy
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users to /etc/group

I'm using SAM to add users on an HP and they're adding fine. But in /etc/group it only lists the group names. It's not adding the users in there. Is there a way to have them put in there without going into SAM and modifying the group and adding them? I guess what I want to happen is when I add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golfhakker
1 Replies

4. Programming

reg adding Users into at.allow and removing from at.allow

Hi , Thanks for your time . I am working on a application , which adds unix user through useradd and deletes user through userdel . both are admin commands . My requirement is i have to add a user into at.allow whenver a unix user is added through my application and the user should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding delimiter to logged in users

Hi guys! Just was wanting to run a command that would allow me to seperate the currently logged in users. Basically from this format: user1 user2 user3 To: user1|user2|user3 (Note the lack of a pipe at the end, not sure if thats possible) Basically it needs to be in this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: crawf
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users question

Hello there, I want to add new users to my system, so, being logged in as root I do useradd -m user_name, and the new user is added to the system. The problem is that it has more privileges than I expected. If I do su user_name then I am allowed to do cat /etc/passwd , so it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: help.goes.here
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script to mount a folder in all users /home

Go easy on me - first post I need a simple script that will mount a directory in the /home folder of all users. I need to run this on boot and regular intervals as a cron job. I was hoping to achieve this by modifying fstab but it is not possible and I would like to avoid symlinks. I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
7 Replies

8. AIX

adding users via smit

I apologize if this is a simple/stupid question. When I add users in smit as root, many(most) of the fields are automatically popluated with some basic default values. Some other admins here have access to create users via sudo, however when they create users (sudo smit users), the user gets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Script for adding users to file permissions

I need a script to add the following two users ids to the permissions for various files: IIS_WPG and IUSR_CowGirl. I am fairly familiar with scripting but haven't been able to figure out how to do this via a script. Manually doing it is slow. I don't want to create users but only add them to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stu Loventhal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for adding users to file permissions

I need a script to add the following two users ids to the permissions for various files: IIS_WPG and IUSR_CowGirl. I am fairly familiar with scripting but haven't been able to figure out how to do this via a script. Manually doing it is slow. I don't want to create users but only add them to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stu Loventhal
2 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)