Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with parsing data with awk , eliminating unwanted data Post 302751943 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 5th of January 2013 02:43:21 AM
Old 01-05-2013
Hi reveri,

Setting RS to the empty string is a special condition where records are split if there are two consecutive newlines. There would not be a limit on the number of records.

There would be a limitation per record, if the record exceeds the maximum length, which would not happen very quickly, but in the awk version of HP-UX (that is what I think this it, right? ) sooner than on some other platforms..

--
{fp=$NF} belongs to the preceding condition-action pair.

fp{print v,ps,fp;fp="";}' means if fp is neither empty nor zero then process {print v,ps,fp;fp="";}

--
Here is another version without RS=
Code:
awk '/VG Name/{a=$NF} /PE Size/{b=$NF} /Free PE/{print a,b,$NF}' infile

or
Code:
awk '/VG Name|PE Size|Free PE/{printf "%s ", $NF} /Free PE/{print x}' infile

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-06-2013 at 03:18 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing XML dynamic data via awk?

I am trying to use a line of output in an XML file as input in another new XML file for processing purposes via a shell script. Since I am a newbie though, I'm not sure how to do this since the data is different everytime. I am using this technique with static data right now: echo -n "Running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: corwin43
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove unwanted data?

Hi Can any one help me remove the unwanted data? I would want to remove the complete event id 4910 ( the type there is INFO), that means, I have to remove starting from 7th - 19th lines. can any one of you please help? Thanks, (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
24 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate unwanted data

Hi, I am stuck on writing a script that reads a file, retains wanted data but discards unwanted data from a CSV file. This is a sample of my table {not the actual data) ID Color tel_num Name color2 color3 abcdef green 5551212 jj88 red blue acbdfe yellow... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: t524ube
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Awk for Data Parsing

Hi, I am doing some data parsing for some economics research. I was recently exposed to shell script and am brand new to awk. I have a large csv file (like 10G) and I would like to make it a lot smaller with awk, but it is a bit tricky for me and I haven't been able to get it yet. I would... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EconResearch
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Parsing data

I have below string Transaction_ID:SDP-DM-151204679 , Transaction_DateTime:2011-02-11 00:00:15 GMT+05:30 , Transaction_Mode:WAP , Circle_ID:4 , Circle_Name:BJ ,Zone: , CustomerID:B_31563486 , MSISDN:7870904329 , IMSI:405876122068099 , IMEI: , Sub_Profile:Pre-Paid , CPID:Nazara , CPNAME:Nazara ,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting the unwanted data based on condition

hi i have my input data like this aaa bbb ccc asa dff nmj mnj saa dff oik aax cdx saa oik asq sdf dssi want my output file to be like this mnj saa dff oik aax cdx saa oiki want to retain only those lines which will have oik just below them and i want oik to be as next column to those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing cron data with awk

Heya, I'm currently working on a script so I can see which cron jobs, if any, on a system are executing less frequently than 15 minutes (1 - 14 minutes). This is the only data I'm interested in. So far I have the following: #!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n';for line in `ls -f /var/spool/cron/*`; do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elvirnith
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML (and insert data) then output data (bash / Solaris)

Hi folks I have a script I wrote that basically parses a bunch of config and xml files works out were to add in the new content then spits out the data into a new file. It all works - apart from the xml and config file format in the new file with XML files the original XML (that ends up in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfinch
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> math-operation in data-record and joining with second file data

Hi! I have a pretty complex job - at least for me! i have two csv-files with meassurement-data: fileA ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies
makedbm(1M)															       makedbm(1M)

NAME
makedbm - make a Network Information System database SYNOPSIS
nis_input_file] nis_output_name] nis_domain_name] nis_master_name] infile outfile database_name Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (yp). Although the name has changed, the functionality of the service remains the same. DESCRIPTION
generates databases (maps) for the Network Information System (NIS) from infile. A database created by consists of two files: and A data- base contains records called dbm records composed of key-value pairs. Each line of infile is converted to a single dbm record; all characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the remainder of the line is the value. If a value read from infile ends with the value for that record is continued onto the next line. The NIS clients must interpret the character (which means that does not treat the as if it precedes a comment). If infile is a hyphen reads standard input. always generates a special dbm record with the key whose value is the time of last modification of infile (or the current time, if infile is This value is also known as the order number of a map, and prints it for a specified NIS map (see yppoll(1M)). Another special dbm record created by has the key Its value is usually the host name retrieved by however, the option can be used to spec- ify a different value (see gethostname(2)). If the option is used, another special dbm record with the key is created. When this key exists in the NIS host.by* maps or ipnodes.by* maps and the NIS host name resolution fails, the process will query the Internet domain name server, to provide the host name resolution. Before using the option, it is recommended that the name services switch, be set to allow NIS host name resolution first. (Note that, since the process only checks hosts.by* and ipnodes.by* for the existence of the key, using the option on any other NIS map will have no effect. Also, the option should be used on both the *.byname and *.byaddr maps, not one exclusively.) If the option is used, another special dbm record created is the key. If this key exists in an NIS map, will only allow privileged pro- cesses (applications that can create reserved ports) to access the data within the map. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments. Create a special dbm record with the key This key, which is in the hosts.byname, hosts.byaddr, ipnodes.byname, and ipnodes.byaddr maps, allows the process to query the Internet domain name server (see named(1M)). Convert the keys of the given map to lowercase. This command option allows host name matches to work independent of character-case distinctions. Accept connections from secure NIS networks only. Create a special dbm record with the key and the value If the option is used, another special dbm record created is the key. If this key exists in an NIS map, will only allow privileged processes to access the data within the map (that is, applications that can create reserved ports). Create a special dbm record with the key and the value nis_output_name. Create a special dbm record with the key and the value nis_domain_name. Replace the value of the special dbm record whose key is with nis_master_name. Undo the database_name (that is, write the contents of database_name to the standard output) one dbm record per line. A single space sepa- rates each key from its value. EXAMPLES
Shell scripts can be written to convert ASCII files such as to the key-value form used by For example, #!/usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":" } { print $1, $0 }' /etc/netgroup | makedbm - netgroup converts the file to a form that is read by to make the NIS map The keys in the database are names, and the values are the remainders of the lines in the file. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
domainname(1), named(1M), ypinit(1M), ypmake(1M), yppoll(1M), gethostname(2), netgroup(4), ypfiles(4). makedbm(1M)