Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl:Regex for Search and Replace that has a flexible match Post 302751263 by jdilts on Thursday 3rd of January 2013 02:01:14 PM
Old 01-03-2013
Extended Regex or Scoring System

I think you are right. The regex I wrote is too loose. I'm going to give the extended regex a try and then decided if I should use a scoring system. Thanks for responding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with an exact match using regex in perl!

Hello Guys, I am trying to make an exact match for an email address entered as an argument, using perl, however, it's not working if I put a "$" in the email address. See the below outputs, Correct Match : bash-2.03$ echo sandy@test.com | perl -wln -e 'print if /(^*\@test.com$)/i'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffisandy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace regex Perl one liner to AWK one liner

Thanks for giving your time and effort to answer questions and helping newbies like me understand awk. I have a huge file, millions of lines, so perl takes quite a bit of time, I'd like to convert these perl one liners to awk. Basically I'd like all lines with ISA sandwiched between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
9 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

search replace regex question

Hi, I need to run a search and replace on a large database, what I need to change is all instances of #### (eg. 1764 or 1964) to (####) (eg. (1764) or (1964)) But there might be other numbers in there such as (1764) and I do not need those changed to ((1764)) How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regex string match issue..kindly help

i have a script in which i need to skip comments, and i am able to achieve it partially... IN text file: {**************************** {test : test...test } Script: while (<$fh>) { push ( @data, $_); } if ( $data =~ m/(^{\*+$)/ ){ } With the above match i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avskrm
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex:search/replace but not for escaped character

Hi Input: - -- --- ---- aa-bb-cc aa--bb--cc aa---bb---cc aa----bb----cc Output: . - -. -- aa.bb.cc (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex - search and replace

I have file which contains data in the following format all in a single line: BDW_PUBLN_ID DECIMAL(18:0) NOT NULL PRIMARY INDEX ARGO_ACCT_DEP_PI ( OFC_ID ,CSHBX_ID ,TRXN_SEQ_NUM ,PROCG_DT ) PARTITION BY RANGE_N(PROCG_DT BETWEEN DATE '2012-03-01' AND DATE '2014-12-31' EACH INTERVAL '1' MONTH );... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line regex for search and replace

I have text file like below: a.txt Server=abc Run=1 Time=120.123 Tables=10 Sessions=16 Time=380.123 Version=1.1 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=2 Time=160.123 Tables=15 Sessions=16 Time=400.258 Version=2.0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace Specific Column using RegEx

Have Pipe Delimited File: > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|518 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE BAXTER|3/30/2015|2233 MockingBird RD|ROW2On 3rd column where the address is located, I want to add a space after every numeric value - basically doing a "s//&\ / ": > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|5 1 8 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace the last occurance of match in a file

Hi I want to replace only the last occurance of "union all" in input file with ";" I tried with sed 's/union all/;/g' in my input file, it replaced in all lines of input file Eg: select column1,column2 from test1 group by 2 union all select column1,column2 from test2 group by 2 union all ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: antosr7
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help to use regex to do search and replace. Don't know how to and can't figure out how :(

Hi, Below is an excerpt from a 20000+ lines and I want to do a search and replace of a specific string but I don't know how and I can't figure out how to. Can't find an example from Google or anywhere to do what I am wanting to do. A 2018-11-21 08:42:17 TEST_TEST 2018-11-21... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
9 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)