Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Error handling for sort command Post 302751225 by Don Cragun on Thursday 3rd of January 2013 12:43:51 PM
Old 01-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehulleo
... ... ...

sort -k 1.10,1.20n -o $inputfile $outputfile 2>> error_log

... ... ...
Sorry I didn't notice when I posted my last message ...

Note that you are asking sort to the read data from $outputfile and to write the sorted results to the file named by $inputfile. This seems backwards???

PS I'm afraid that the &>> redirection suggested by Ikaro0 won't help and won't do what I think he thinks it will do. The command:
Code:
sort ... &>>  error_log

will run sort in the background and create an empty file named error_log (if error_log didn't already exist). Output from sort will not go into error_log from this command, even if the sort -o option is not been specified.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling, getopts command in unix

I need to create a shell script having the menu with few options such as 1. Listing 2. Change permissions 3. Modify Contents 4. Delete Files 5. Exit 1. For 1. Listing: Display a special listing of files showing their date of modification and access time (side by side) along with their... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sort command abort with error

Hello, I am having an application which has been ported from UNIX. I am facing a problem with sort command. It aborts with following error message when running in a Japanese locale. sort command aborts with message "A line of the input file contains more than 20480 characters." This... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshi123
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Handling

Helo Experts, I need a help in handling errors in shell script, wants my errors displayed in text file instead of command window.. My shell script is here; cd /cygdrive/s/Files for FILES in ./*.* do temp=`basename $FILES` if cp $FILES /cygdrive/r/CopyFile1/$FILES; then echo "copy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
5 Replies

5. Linux

Command line browser with Javascript handling capability

Hi, I have a query. Do we have any command line browser utility in linux which can fulfill the following requirement: 1. Handle pages which can have javascripts 2. Can use pre-recorded user inputs (maybe stored in some input files) for automated navigation/task. I had seen such an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Error Handling on Script

Hi, I need your guys help again. I run a script which check for some process status in a loop. when i check the process some of the process could throw an error, how can i check that inside my script. Thanks, RR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Handling

Below code works for different databases i.e. MYSQL and ORACLE The problem is for MYSQL in Block: if ; $? taking value accordingly but in case of ORACLE $? is always taking this value as zero (0). That is the reason in Oracle it always going in else Block in any case.. :( and in case of ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling

Hello fellow UNIX gurus :) I have a problem regarding the script below: # Variables used in this shell. power=0 # Stores squared integer total=0 # Sum of all squared integers num=0 # Stores command line arguements # Provides error handling if command line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
5 Replies
lucurr(1M)																lucurr(1M)

NAME
lucurr - display the name of the active boot environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lucurr [-l error_log] [-m mount_point] [-o outfile] [-X] DESCRIPTION
The lucurr command is part of a suite of commands that make up the Live Upgrade feature of the Solaris operating environment. See live_upgrade(5) for a description of the Live Upgrade feature. The lucurr command displays the name of the currently running boot environment (BE). If no BEs are configured on the system, lucurr dis- plays the message "No Boot Environments are defined". Note that lucurr reports only the name of the current BE, not the BE that will be active upon the next reboot. Use lustatus(1M) or luactivate(1M) for this information. The lucurr command requires root privileges. OPTIONS
The lucurr command has the following options: -l error_log Error and status messages are sent to error_log, in addition to where they are sent in your current environment. -m mount_point Returns the name of the BE that owns mount_point, where mount_point is the mount point of a BE's root file system. This can be a mount point of the current BE or the mount point of a BE other than the current BE. If the latter, the file system of the BE must have been mounted with lumount(1M) or mount(1M) before entering this option. -o outfile All command output is sent to outfile, in addition to where it is sent in your current environment. -X Enable XML output. Characteristics of XML are defined in DTD, in /usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/lu_cli.dtd.<num>, where <num> is the version number of the DTD file. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/lutab list of BEs on the system /usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/lu_cli.dtd.<num> Live Upgrade DTD (see -X option) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWluu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lu(1M), luactivate(1M), lucancel(1M), lucompare(1M), lucreate(1M), ludelete(1M), ludesc(1M), lufslist(1M), lumake(1M), lumount(1M), lure- name(1M), lustatus(1M), luupgrade(1M), lutab(4), attributes(5), live_upgrade(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Jan 2002 lucurr(1M)