Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question on grep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question on grep Post 302750741 by luft on Wednesday 2nd of January 2013 11:38:10 AM
Old 01-02-2013
I'm looking for the string "scott" inside the files srvr*.log that got created on Nov 15.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

what is the format for grep if I want to search from the current directory and through all its subdirectories?:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about grep

I want to search for a word from the root directory using grep command. I am searching for a word called batch in cd /vol directory.The vol directory has so many sub-directories and I want to see all the files having the name as batch. This what I tried .. /vol/ % grep -i *batch* But it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANAMIKA56
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

Hello Everybody, I have files; yyyymmdd.log which the data look like this; "Txid=9426043&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" "Txid=9426150&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" . . . "Txid=9426200&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" Question 1: How to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri76
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

hello people, All my servers have 4 mounts with this norme. For example, if my hostname is siroe. df -h | grep `hostname` /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe3 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe2 /dev/md/dsk/d6 20G 812M 19G ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

Instead of using the following command #dmesg | grep -v sendmail | grep -v xntpd How can I use just one grep -v and give both arguments. Please suggest thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

Hello, Is there a way in grep to remember patterns? For eg: int a,b,c,d,a; If a variable is declared twice, like in the previous example, I should be able to print only those lines. Is there a way to print only the lines where the variable name occurs more than once, using grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question please

i have files with "DOMAINSOLVER ACMS" with any number of spaces in between the two words on its own line and i can find it with the following: grep -c "DOMAINSOLVER* ACMS" $FILENAMEbut i need to exclude any lines matching: "$DOMAINSOLVER". i've tried a variety of quoting and escaping with no luck.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

can anyone tell me what the \/$ means? from grep \/$ (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

is there anyway i can ask grep to only get the first line? as in the top command line line 1 <-- just grep this line line 2 line 3 ---------- Post updated at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 PM ---------- nvm.. found out that i can do it with |head (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

My grep returns a row of data like this: 75=20130130;60=074338;61=985;511=55473883;452=115439;62=196;267=1; Is there a way for the grep to only return 60="something" and 511="something" ? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl2013
10 Replies
BOS_GETLOG(8)						       AFS Command Reference						     BOS_GETLOG(8)

NAME
bos_getlog - Prints a server process's log file SYNOPSIS
bos getlog -server <machine name> -file <log file to examine> [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos getl -s <machine name> -f <log file to examine> [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos getlog command displays on the standard output stream the specified log file from the machine named by the -server argument. The BOS Server fetches the log file from the /var/log/openafs directory unless an alternate pathname is provided as part of the -file argument. CAUTIONS
Log files can grow quite large, especially for the database server processes. To keep them to a manageable size, periodically either use the UNIX rm command to truncate each log file, or use the bos restart command to restart each process. It can take up to five minutes after the file is removed or process restarted for the space occupied by a log file to become available. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine from which to retrieve the log file. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully- qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). -file <log file to examine> Names the log file to display. If a filename only is provided, the BOS Server fetches the log file from the /var/log/openafs directory; the standard values are: AuthLog The Authentication Server (kaserver) log file. BackupLog The Backup Server (buserver) log file. BosLog The BOS Server (bosserver) log file. FileLog The File Server (fileserver) log file. SalvageLog The Salvager (salvager) log file. VLLog The Volume Location (VL) Server (vlserver) log file. VolserLog The Volume Server (volserver) log file. If a pathname and filename are provided, the log file is retrieved from the indicated directory. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the /var/log/openafs directory. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output is preceded by the line Fetching log file '<filename>'... The remainder of the output depends on the particular log file. EXAMPLES
The following example displays the FileLog file from the machine "fs3.abc.com": % bos getlog -server fs3.abc.com -file FileLog Fetching log file 'FileLog'... Sun Nov 8 04:00:34 1998 File server starting Sun Nov 8 04:00:39 1998 Partition /vicepa: attached 21 volumes; 0 volumes not attached Sun Nov 8 04:00:40 1998 File Server started Sun Nov 8 04:00:40 1998 Mon Nov 9 21:45:06 1998 CB: RCallBack (zero fid probe in host.c) failed for host 28cf37c0.22811 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. When a server is in restricted mode, bos getlog can only return the contents of the salvager's log. SEE ALSO
bos(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_GETLOG(8)