Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem while assign string (words with tab) to a variable Post 302750611 by Klashxx on Wednesday 2nd of January 2013 03:22:03 AM
Old 01-02-2013
Try this:
Code:
value="$(cat file1.txt)"

Code:
echo "${value}"

This User Gave Thanks to Klashxx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign variable from a string having blanks in between

Hi All, I am new to bash scripting. I need your help to removing spaces from a string and assign them to different variables. Iwant to call script with one command line argument which is file name which containes different attributes their type and different values eg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flextronics
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when assign the array with the string index

I come across the problems when assigning the array in the script below . How to use the array with the 'string index' correctly ? When I assign a new string index , the array elements that are previously assigned are all changed .:eek::eek::eek: $ array=211 $ echo ${array} 211 $... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: youareapkman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the Pattern Search string as Input Variable

guys, I need to know how to assing pattern matched string as an input command variable. Here it goes' My script is something like this. ./routing.sh <Server> <enable|disable> ## This Script takes an input <Server> variable from this line of the script ## echo $1 | egrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign words in a string to array

I have a string as "yes why not" I want to create one array variable with contents as one word per place in array.. for above string,the array variable should contain... x="yes,why,not" x = yes x = why x = not Please help me,I am stuck up in the problem since 2 days... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday26
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash assign string to variable

Hi ,I am trying to assign string to variable ,but it doesn't work Also could you show me different ways to use grep,(I am trying to get the first,second and first column form file,and I am counting the chars) let name=`grep "$id" product | cut -c6-20` (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to assign a string to a variable

Hello Experts, In my script i am using the below syntax /usr/bin/head -1 /opt/chumma.txt | /usr/bin/cut -d " " -f3 output of this one is --> Monday I want to store this String in a variable (i.e) j or k... Give me some idea experts. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi - insert a tab between words?

I have several lines in a file that I want to replace a space with a tab. For example: 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com I want to replace the space after the word "jones" with a tab. How do I achieve that in Vi? Please assist. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable assign

Hi all, i'm new in shell script. i'm trying to do this: mypid="ps | grep whileloop.sh | sed -n 1p | tr -s ' ' | cut -f2 -d' '" i'm trying to assign the pid number to variable mypid, but it doesn't work...how can i do? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marina2013
5 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-beflnstuv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command line order. A single dash represents the standard input, and may appear multiple times in the file list. The word ``concatenate'' is just a verbose synonym for ``catenate''. The options are as follows: -b Implies the -n option but doesn't number blank lines. -e Implies the -v option, and displays a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line as well. -f Only attempt to display regular files. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Implies the -v option, and displays tab characters as '^I' as well. -u The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -v Displays non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), hexdump(1), lpr(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1), view(1), vis(1), fcntl(2) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! This is performed by the shell before cat is run. BSD
September 23, 2006 BSD