Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract specific contents from each line Post 302750567 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 2nd of January 2013 12:10:57 AM
Old 01-02-2013
bipinajith's proposal works as long as all of the allele= and alleles= entries are in the 2nd field in the input lines, and all of the allele= entries come after the alleles= entry, except that it doesn't put the requested "/" between allele= entries when more than one is present. It also provides an extra leading newline that wasn't requested.

The following should work as requested no matter what order they are in nor which fields contain allele and alleles entries even if multiple entries appear on the same line. It will also print multiple alleles= entries if they occur using a comma to separate subsequent occurrences:
Code:
awk -F ' *| *' 'function pr() { 
        if(r) printf("%s %s %s\n", r, p, s)
        p = r = s = ""
        n1 = 1
}
NF == 0 {pr()
         next
}
n1 {    n1 = 0
        r = $1
}
/allele/ {for(i = 1; i <= NF; i++) {
                if($i ~ /allele=/)
                        s = (s ? s "/" : "") substr($i, index($i, "=") + 1)
                if($i ~ /alleles=/)
                        p = (p ? p "," : "") substr($i, index($i, "=") + 1)        }
}END {   pr()}' input

As always, if you're using a Solaris system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk instead of awk.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script or command help to extract specific contents from a long list of content

Hi, I got a long list of contents: >sequence_1 ASSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCC ASDSFDFFDFDFFWERERERERFSDFESFSFD >sequence_2 ASDFDFDFFDDFFDFDSFDSFDFSDFSDFDSFASDSADSADASD ASDFFDFDFASFASFASFAFSFFSDASFASFASFAFS >sequence_3 VEDFGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG dDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific line if the search pattern is found

Hi, I need to extract <APPNUMBER> tag alone, if the <college> haas IIT Chennai value. college tag value will have spaces embedded. Those spaces should not be suppresses. My Source file <Record><sno>1</sno><empid>E0001</empid><name>Rejsh suderam</name><college>IIT ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a specific line from a stream

Hello, I'm trying to code a bash script and I was wondering how to extract a specific line from a stream. E.g. My file "file" contains three lines and i'd like to find a function f which returns after execution a specific line like the second line, which would be : f(file, 2) = Second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oddant
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract character between specific line numbers

Hi guys, I have txt file and I would need to extract all the contents between specific line numbers. Line 1: apple Line 2: orange Line 3: mango Line 4: grapes Line 5: pine apple I need to extract the content between line 2 and 4, including the contents of Line 2 and 4 so the ouput... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk, cut, to extract specific data from line

Hi guys, I have been trying to do this, but... no luck so maybe you can help me. I have a line like this: Total Handled, Received, on queue Input Mgs: 140 / 14 => 0 I need to, get the number after the / until the =, to get only 14 . Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents

Hi, I am trying to use an awk command to replace specific character positions on a line beginning with 80 with contents of another file. The line beginning with 80 in file1 is as follows: I want to replace the 000000000178800 (positions 34 - 49) on this file with the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwalsh88
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Base(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	      Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Base(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Base - Base module for format parser plugins SYNOPSIS
package My::Parser::Plugin; use base qw(Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Base); sub file_types { return [qw( ext ext2 )] } sub extract { my $self = shift; local $_ = shift; my $line = 1; while (my $found = $self->routine_to_extract_strings) { $self->add_entry($str,[$filename,$line,$vars]) } return; } DESCRIPTION
All format parser plugins in Locale::Maketext::Extract inherit from Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Base. If you want to write your own custom parser plugin, you will need to inherit from this module, and provide "file_types()" and "extract()" methods, as shown above. METHODS
new() $plugin = My::Parser->new( @file_types # Optionally specify a list of recognised file types ) add_entry() $plugin->add_entry($str,$line,$vars) "entries()" $entries = $plugin->entries; "clear()" $plugin->clear Clears all stored entries. file_types() @default_file_types = $plugin->file_types Returns a list of recognised file types that your module knows how to parse. Each file type can be one of: o A plain string 'pl' => base filename is matched against qr/.pl$/ '*' => all files are accepted o A regex qr/.tt2?./ => base filename is matched against this regex o A codref sub {} => this codref is called as $coderef->($base_filename,$path_to_file) It should return true or false extract() $plugin->extract($filecontents); extract() is the method that will be called to process the contents of the current file. When it finds a string that should be extracted, it should call $self->add_entry($string,$line,$vars]) where $vars refers to any arguments that are being passed to the localise function. For instance: l("You found [quant,_1,file,files]",files_found) string: "You found [quant,_1,file,files]" vars : (files_found) IMPORTANT: a single plugin instance is used for all files, so if you plan on storing state information in the $plugin object, this should be cleared out at the beginning of "extract()" known_file_type() if ($plugin->known_file_type($filename_with_path)) { .... } Determines whether the current file should be handled by this parser, based either on the list of file_types specified when this object was created, or the default file_types specified in the module. SEE ALSO
xgettext.pl for extracting translatable strings from common template systems and perl source files. Locale::Maketext::Lexicon Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Perl Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::PPI Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::TT2 Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::YAML Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::FormFu Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Mason Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::TextTemplate Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Generic AUTHORS
Clinton Gormley [DRTECH] <clinton@traveljury.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2002-2008 by Audrey Tang <cpan@audreyt.org>. This software is released under the MIT license cited below. The "MIT" License Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. perl v5.14.2 2011-03-02 Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Base(3pm)