Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting data between specific lines, multiple times Post 302749795 by captainalright on Saturday 29th of December 2012 01:31:05 PM
Old 12-29-2012
Extracting data between specific lines, multiple times

I need help extracting specific lines in a text file. The file looks like this:

Code:
 POSITION                                       TOTAL-FORCE (eV/Angst)         
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1.86126      1.86973      1.86972         0.000006      0.000006      0.000006
      1.83963      5.61435      5.60302        -0.000013      0.000019      0.000006
      ****A BUNCH MORE OF THESE NUMBERS****
      7.30218      7.59778     13.09455        -0.000012      0.000011      0.000016
     11.04119     11.33677     13.08985        -0.000021      0.000014      0.000014
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with about 50 of these sections. I want just the numbers between all the dashes for all the sections.

The trick is that the file has lots of these dashes (same number of dashes) separating a lot of data I don't need. I specifically need the data between the dashes with the first line of dashes preceded by that first line in the text (POSITION etc.)

Thanks!

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coachr
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coachr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text out of specific lines

Hi, I have a file like LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:19 THU S5830 FAULT MESSAGE SUPPRESS STATUS LOC : ASP00 STS : SUPPRESSING CONTINUE INF : F6201 TRUNK. DATA FAULT REPORT COMPLETED LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:20 THU S8400 ISUP SIGNALLING TRACE -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific lines from a file

hi all, i searched in unix.com and accquired the following commands for extracting specific lines from a file .. sed -n '16482,16482p' in.sql > out.sql awk 'NR>=10&&NR<=20' in.sql > out.sql.... these commands are working fine if i give the line numbers as such .. but if i pass a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific text from lines

Hello, i've got this output text: and i need it to look something like this: which means that there won't be absolute path of each directory, just it's size and the last word after last '/' in each line, and i also don't need last line '1.7M /tmp' Looks like there is a simple... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krater559
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering data -extracting specific lines

I have a table to data which one of the columns include string of text from within that, I am searching to include few lines but not others for example I want to to include some combination of word address such as (address.| address? |the address | your address) but not (ip address | email... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting specific lines from data file

Hello, Is there a quick awk one-liner for this extraction?: file1 49389 text55 52211 text66 file2 59302 text1 49389 text2 85939 text3 52211 text4 13948 text5 Desired output 49389 text2 52211 text4 Thanks!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from multiple lines

Hi All, I am stuck in one step.. I have one file named file.txt having content: And SGMT.perd_id = (SELECT cal.fiscal_perd_id FROM $ODS_TARGT.TIM_DT_CAL_D CAL FROM $ODS_TARGT.GL_COA_SEGMNT_XREF_A SGMT SGMT.COA_XREF_TYP_IDN In (SEL COA_XREF_TYP_IDN From... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies
MODERATORS(5)						    InterNetNews Documentation						     MODERATORS(5)

NAME
moderators - Submission addresses for moderated groups DESCRIPTION
When an unapproved article is posted locally to a moderated newsgroup, it is not passed off to innd for normal handling; instead, it is sent via e-mail to the submission address for that newsgroup. The submission address is determined using this configuration file. The file pathetc/moderators is a list of associations between uwildmat(3) patterns matching newsgroups and the submission address for those newsgroups. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign ("#") are ignored. All other lines should consist of two fields separated by a colon: <pattern>:<address> The first field is a uwildmat(3) pattern matching the group or groups to which this line applies. The first matching line is used, so more specific patterns should be listed before general patterns. The second field, the submission address, should be a simple e-mail address with one exception: at most one %s may occur anywhere in the address. If present, it will be replaced by the name of the newsgroup, with all periods in the name changed to dashes ("-"). If there is a literal "%" in the submission address, it must be written as "%%", even if not followed by an "s". With the %s syntax, periods are converted to dashes for historical reasons, from back in the days when periods in the local part of addresses were not always handled correctly. It's probably no longer necessary, but so much now depends on it that it can't be easily changed. It's intended that the sample moderators file included in the INN distribution always be sufficient for all world-wide newsgroups. The hosts behind moderators.isc.org have graciously volunteered to handle forwarding tasks for all world-wide newsgroups so that individual sites don't have to keep track of the submission addresses for moderated groups. The forwarding database used by moderators.isc.org is coordinated by <moderators-request@isc.org>; if you know of a world-wide newsgroup hierarchy that is not correctly handled by moderators.isc.org, please send the details to that address. Given that, the only thing you should have to add to the sample file under normal circumstances are the forwarding addresses for local or limited-distribution moderated groups. If this file doesn't exist, or if a post is made to a moderated group that has no matching entry in this file, nnrpd falls back on the value of moderatormailer set in inn.conf and, failing that, rejects the post. EXAMPLES
Here is a sample file: example.important:announce@example.com example.*:%s@smtp.example.com *:%s@moderators.isc.org Using the above file, postings to the moderated newsgroup in the left column below will be sent to the address shown in the right column below: example.important announce@example.com example.x-announce example-x-announce@smtp.example.com alt.dev.null alt-dev-null@moderators.isc.org Note that periods are changed to dashes and dashes are left alone with the %s syntax, so two moderated newsgroups whose names differ only by changing a period to a dash would go to the same address. Such newsgroup pairs should therefore not be created. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. Rewritten in POD by Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>. $Id: moderators.pod 8830 2009-11-29 16:49:59Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
inn.conf(5), nnrpd(8), uwildmat(3). INN 2.5.2 2010-02-08 MODERATORS(5)