Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX cache problem?
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) UNIX cache problem? Post 302749431 by xbin on Friday 28th of December 2012 09:19:11 AM
Old 12-28-2012
In older versions of OS X the filesystem would sync every 30 seconds by a daemon called updated. It's gone in the latter versions with the advent of launchd. My guess is FSEvents is now involved.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UBC cache vs. Metadata cache

hi, What is the difference between UBC cache and Metadata cache ? where can i find UBC cache Hits and Metadata cache Hits in hp-ux? Advanced thanx for the help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushaga
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Unix Cache / Buffer

Does anyone know how the unix buffer / cache is set in a Solaris based system ? ( I presume it is a kernel based setting ) I notice from SAR -d that my read cache is consistently at 100% but my write cache frequently falls below 65%. What does this mean. Should I be tuning the write cache and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Sco Open Server, Windows Computers Problem Access Unix Shared Files Help!!!!!

Hello Moto I hope someone can help We's here at work, have a unix box with sco openserver 5 on it, so it has a nice gui interface.. and also a fair few windows computers.. a system admin guy b4 me, has set up a user called neil, which can, when u try to access the unix box using windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggo
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

how can we spoof ethernet by ARP cache poisoning on unix through a program

how can we spoof ethernet by ARP cache poisoning on unix through a program... can anyone post the source code to achieve this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ud4u
1 Replies

6. Linux

Linux cache

Hi all I am trying to understand the kernel memory management and require assistance in this regard. Kernel first creates the cache memory to perform any subsequent allocation to processes. I could not figure out how it is accomplished. Do kernel directly allocates any hardware cache or allocates... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
0 Replies

7. Linux

getting info on Cache Size, Data Cache etc..

Hi all I saw in Microsoft web site www.SysInternals.com a tool called CoreInfo from able to print out on screen the size of the Data and Instruction caches of your processor, the Locigal to Physical Processor mapping, the number of the CPU sockets. etc.. Do you know if in Linux is available a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Performance problem - waiting on cache

My server is running HP-UX 11.23 and one Oracle database. The server has 8 CPUs and is mostly idle all the time. Buffer cache is set to 10%min/max with 5GB memory on the server. I have a user complaining that a batch process is all of a sudden taking a long time to finish. The DBA gave me the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
13 Replies

9. Linux

File cache /Page cache Linux

Hi All, could any one point out any open source test-suites for "File cache" testing and as well as performance test suites for the same. Currently my system is up with Linux/ext4. Regards Manish (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmanish
0 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS Cache Problem-Urgent !!!!!!

I have DNS Server running in solaris 10 . There is website called exaple.com ,whcih was hosted in this dns server with IP 1.2.3.4 ,now we deleted the DNS entry of that website from our DNS Server (db.exmaple.com is deleted from named.conf ) and it is hosted with some other name server with IP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep.tk
1 Replies
launchd(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						launchd(8)

NAME
launchd -- System wide and per-user daemon/agent manager SYNOPSIS
launchd [-d] [-D] [-s] [-S SessionType] [-- command [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
launchd manages processes, both for the system as a whole and for individual users. The primary and preferred interface to launchd is via the launchctl(1) tool which (among other options) allows the user or administrator to load and unload jobs. Where possible, it is preferable for jobs to launch on demand based on criteria specified in their respective configuration files. During boot launchd is invoked by the kernel to run as the first process on the system and to further bootstrap the rest of the system. You cannot invoke launchd directly. ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES
LAUNCHD_SOCKET This variable is exported when invoking a command via the launchd command line. It informs launchctl how to find the correct launchd to talk to. NOTES
In Darwin, the canonical way to launch a daemon is through launchd as opposed to more traditional mechanisms or mechanisms provided in ear- lier versions of Mac OS X. These alternate methods should be considered deprecated and not suitable for new projects. In the launchd lexicon, a "daemon" is, by definition, a system-wide service of which there is one instance for all clients. An "agent" is a service that runs on a per-user basis. Daemons should not attempt to display UI or interact directly with a user's login session. Any and all work that involves interacting with a user should be done through agents. If you wish your service to run as a certain user, in that user's environment, making it a launchd agent is the ONLY supported means of accomplishing this on Mac OS X. In other words, it is not sufficient to perform a setuid(2) to become a user in the truest sense on Mac OS X. FILES
~/Library/LaunchAgents Per-user agents provided by the user. /Library/LaunchAgents Per-user agents provided by the administrator. /Library/LaunchDaemons System-wide daemons provided by the administrator. /System/Library/LaunchAgents Per-user agents provided by Mac OS X. /System/Library/LaunchDaemons System-wide daemons provided by Mac OS X. SEE ALSO
launchctl(1), launchd.plist(5), Darwin 1 May, 2009 Darwin