Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running sed and counting number of lines processed Post 302749233 by SkySmart on Thursday 27th of December 2012 11:09:20 PM
Old 12-28-2012
wonderful!!! i have yet to test it, but could you please explain your beautiful awk command to me? please????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting The Number Of Duplicate Lines In a File

Hello. First time poster here. I have a huge file of IP numbers. I am trying to output only the class b of the IPs and rank them by most common and output the total # of duplicate class b's before the class b. An example is below: 12.107.1.1 12.107.9.54 12.108.3.89 12.109.109.4 12.109.6.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchtime
2 Replies

2. Linux

counting the number of lines

Hello, I have afile which begins with a few urls on multiple lines and then there is listing of some information on separate lines. The listing begins with the word Name on a given line followed by teh actual list. I want to count the number of lines in this file after the line having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayeemmz
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Counting number of similar lines

Hi All I have the input file OMAK_11. OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of lines - again

Hi all, I use bash shell and I have a problem with wc. I would like to determine the number of lines in a file so I do wc -l filename but I don't want to get the filename again I just would like to have the number of lines and use it in a variable. Can anybody help? Thank you, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting processed lines

I have a log file that I am processing. This contains messages from and to a server (requests and responses). The responses to requests may not be in order i.e. we can have a response to a request after several requests are sent, and in some error cases there may not be any response message. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed counting lines

Hi, I'm using the command: sed -n '$=' $1 on a sh script on AIX. This script is used to count the number of lines of files. If the file has no lines at all the command doesn't return nothing. I need the command to return 0 when the file has no lines at all. How can I achieve this? Best... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jppedroso
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed&awk: replace lines with counting numbers

Dear board, (I am trying to post this the 3rd time, seems there's some conflicts with my firefox with this forum, now use IE) ------ yes, I have searched the forum, but seems my ? is too complicated. ------------origianl file --------------- \storage\qweq\ertert\ertert\3452\&234\test.rec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oUo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Counting The Number of Lines Between Values with Multiple Variables

Hey everyone, I have a bunch of lines with values in field 4 that I am interested in. If these values are between 1 and 3 I want it to count all these values to all be counted together and then have the computer print out LOW and the number of lines with those values in between 1 and 3,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VagabondGold
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines

I have requirement in my every files starting lines have # needs to be not processing or exclude the that lines. I have written a code like below, but now working as expected getting ERROR" line 60: 1 #!/bin/sh 2 echo ======= LogManageri start ========== 3 4 #This directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)