Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM Power Pseries Open Firmware boot / VIOS POWERVM VET CODE Post 302748875 by MichaelFelt on Thursday 27th of December 2012 04:21:55 AM
Old 12-27-2012
re: your other story - sounds as if you have been very busy!

I would only add that if you are not seeing console AFTER doing the ASMI reset you might have a motherboard issue.

Happy New Year!
This User Gave Thanks to MichaelFelt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

new IBM pseries and new disks

Hello Gurus, i'm quite new person in AIX world, actually i'm SAP consultant. But due to my job faced with AIX. Trying to configure new server for installation SAP. We have 4 disks one of them (hdisk3) has VG rootvg. How i can extend rootvg with another disk? i tried: # extendvg rootvg hdisk0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapbcer
2 Replies

2. SuSE

VIOs and Linux for pSeries

Hi. I was wondering if there was a way to get the PVIDs from the disks on a SuSE Enterprise 9 box. I have 2 hdisks from a VIO setup that have specific PVIDs. I'd like to match those 2 disk to the disks within the Linux box. Any tips? thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
0 Replies

3. Linux

Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries

Anyone can help me answer the question. Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries not AIX. I can't understand why, cause AIX is the best supporting from IBM pSeries. Tks you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
3 Replies

4. AIX

power 6 VET activation code

Hello, I successfully entered VET activation key through HMC -> capacity on demand (CoD) -> advanced power virtualization -> activate VET Key . But the option for VIOS creation is still not appearing. VET information gives this : Type de système : 8203 Numéro de série du système : XX-XXXX CCIN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
2 Replies

5. AIX

Need IBM PowerVM

Hi all please give me a link for IBM PowerVM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
4 Replies

6. AIX

IBM VIOS POWERVM IVM error

Hi, When I try to login on my vios ivm website http://vios through the browser -- all three of them -- firefox , chrome , Internet Explorer , i get this error http://vioserver/j_security_check I have java installed on the machine from where i am trying to open up the IVM/VIOS webpage. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

7. AIX

CD-ROM issue with PowerVM IVM VIOS

I am facing problems in moving CD-ROM from one lpar to another. CDROM can be seen on the POWERVM (IVM) server , but through the web-access if I move it ( assign it ) to LPAR it will be assigned. I run cfgmgr , and the cdrom does not show up in the LPAR. I firmly believe this is the reason why I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. AIX

IBM Power 740 won't boot after firmware update

A team member installed the wrong version of License Code on a Power 740 system used in our Development environment. The system will no longer boot. Does anyone have IBM documentation or experience to share on recovering a system that currently reports "Unsupported License Code version... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevinedailey
1 Replies

9. AIX

Revisiting IBM PowerVM VIOS AIX

coming from this thread: https://www.unix.com/aix/211107-ibm-power-pseries-open-firmware-boot-vios-powervm-vet-code.html PowerVM, formerly known as Advanced Power Virtualization (APV), is a chargeable feature of IBM POWER5, POWER6, POWER7, POWER8, and POWER9 servers and is required for support... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
BLESS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  BLESS(8)

NAME
bless -- set volume bootability and startup disk options SYNOPSIS
bless -help bless -folder directory [-folder9 directory] [-mount directory] [-bootinfo file] [-bootBlocks | -bootBlockFile file] [-save9] [-saveX] [-use9] [-system file] [-systemfile file] [-label name | -labelfile file] [-openfolder directory] [-setBoot] [-quiet | -verbose] bless -device device [-format [fstype] [-fsargs args] [-label name | -labelfile file]] [-bootBlockFile file] [-mount directory] [-wrapper file] [-startupfile file] [-system file] [-setBoot] [-quiet | -verbose] bless -info [directory] [-getBoot] [-bootBlocks] [-plist] [-quiet | -verbose] [-version] DESCRIPTION
bless is used to set volume bootability characteristics for PowerPC-based Macintoshes. It can also modify Open Firmware to select a different device to boot off of. bless has 3 modes of execution: Folder Mode, Device Mode, and Info Mode. Folder Mode allows you to select a folder on a mounted volume to act as the ``blessed'' system folder, and optionally update Open Firmware to boot from that volume. Device Mode is normally only used to format and setup a volume for the first time. Info Mode will print out the currently-blessed folder(s) of a volume, or if no mountpoint is specified, the volume that OF is set to boot from. Additionally, -help can be used to display the command-line usage summary. FOLDER MODE Folder Mode has the following options: -folder directory A blessed Mac OS X/Darwin system folder, containing a BootX secondary loader for New World machines. -folder9 directory A Mac OS 9/Classic system folder. If both -folder and -folder9 are given, preference can be given to boot into Mac OS 9 by also using the -use9 flag. -mount directory In lieu of specifying folders to bless, -mount can be given, and the pre-existing blessed folders are used. -bootinfo file Create a BootX file in the Mac OS X/Darwin system folder using file as a source. -bootBlocks Set the boot blocks on the volume. This is required for booting Mac OS 9. Boot blocks can be retrieved from the System file in the blessed Mac OS 9 system folder, or can be specified more directly using the -bootBlockFile or -system flags. -bootBlockFile file Extract boot blocks from file . The first 1024 bytes are read from the data fork of that file. -save9 Used if no -folder9 flag was given, but if the pre-existing Mac OS 9 system folder should be preserved. -saveX Used if no -folder flag was given, but if the pre-existing Mac OS X/Darwin system folder should be preserved. -use9 Used if both -folder and -folder9 were given, but Mac OS 9 should be the default for the volume. -system file Extract boot blocks from the file System file, using the Carbon resource manager. This will fail under Darwin, where Carbon is not present. -systemfile file Data fork System file to place in blessed System Folder -label name Render a text label used in the OpenFirmware-based OS picker -labelfile file Use a pre-rendered label used for the OpenFirmware-based OS picker -openfolder directory Specify a folder to be opened in the Finder when the volume is attached -setBoot Set the system to boot off the specified partition. This is implemented in a platform-specific manner. On Darwin PPC, the Open Firmware boot-device variable is modified. On Darwin x86, the MBR partition map is adjusted to mark the spec- ified partition as active -setOF Set the boot-device Open Firmware variable to boot off the volume containing. This option is deprecated in favor of the more generic -setBoot option. -quiet Do not print any output -verbose Print verbose output DEVICE MODE Device Mode has the following options: -device device Open the block device device . No volumes should be mounted from device . -format [fstype] Format the device using the fstype filesystem, or if it is not given, default to HFS+ with an HFS wrapper. -fsargs arg Additional arguments to newfs for the given filesystem -label name Give the filesystem the label while formatting, or set an OF-cased OS picker label -labelfile file Use a pre-rendered label used for the OpenFirmware-based OS picker name (in UTF-8 encoding) -bootBlockFile file Extract boot blocks from file . The first 1024 bytes are read from the data fork of that file. -mount directory Use directory as a temporary mount point for the HFS wrapper. -wrapper file Mount the wrapper on -mount and write file into the wrapper as the default System file. -system file Override the file specifications for -bootBlockFile and -wrapper and use this file instead for both those functions. -xcoff file Add the file as the HFS+ StartupFile, and update the partition map to reflect it's location on disk. This is necessary for Old World booting. This option is deprecated in favor of the more generic -startupfile option -setBoot Set the system to boot off the specified partition. This is implemented in a platform-specific manner. On Darwin PPC, the Open Firmware boot-device variable is modified. On Darwin x86, the MBR partition map is adjusted to mark the spec- ified partition as active -setOF Set the boot-device Open Firmware variable to boot off the volume containing. This option is deprecated in favor of the more generic -setBoot option. -startupfile file Add the file as the HFS+ StartupFile, and update other information on disk as appropriate for the startup file type. -quiet Do not print any output -verbose Print verbose output INFO MODE Info Mode has the following options: -info [directory] Print out the blessed system folder for directory . If directory is not specified, print information for the current boot-device (which may not necessarily be '/' . -setBoot Print out which device will be used on next boot, according to the boot-device Open Firmware variable. This option will take into account that OF might be pointing to an auxiliary booter partition, and will print out the correspond- ing root partition for those cases. -bootBlocks Print out salient fields from the boot blocks of the volume. -plist Output all information in Property List (.plist) format, suitable for parsing by CoreFoundation. This is most useful when bless is executed from another program and its standard output must be parsed. -quiet Do not print any output -verbose Print verbose output -version Print bless version and exit immediately FILES
/usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo Secondary loader with XML headers, used with -bootinfo flag. Used for booting New World PPC-based Macin- toshes /System/Library/CoreServices Typical blessed folder for Mac OS X and Darwin EXAMPLES
FOLDER MODE To bless a volume with only Mac OS 9: bless -folder9 "/Volumes/Mac OS 9/System Folder" -bootBlockFile "/usr/share/misc/bootblockdata" To bless a volume with only Mac OS X or Darwin, and create the BootX file: bless -folder "/Volumes/Mac OS X/System/Library/CoreServices" -bootinfo "/Volumes/Mac OS X/usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo" To set a volume containing either Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X to be the active volume: bless -mount "/Volumes/Mac OS" -setBoot INFO MODE To gather information about the currently selected volume (as determined by Open Firmware), suitable for piping to a program capable of pars- ing Property Lists: bless -info -plist -bootBlocks SEE ALSO
mount(8), newfs(8), nvram(8) Mac OS X August 3, 2003 Mac OS X