Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change passwords for User accounts on multiple UNIX/Linux machines remotely? Post 302748227 by sha2402 on Tuesday 25th of December 2012 12:11:25 AM
Old 12-25-2012
Thanks guys for your suggestions Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Urgent !!! - Script to Change passwords in unix

I have SunOs 5.8. I need to change password using a unix shell script. I have tried to pipe the passwords to the passwd command but does not work. Pls provide a script to change passwds of a list of users using a shell script. ( I have also tried crypt() but did not work) The flow of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tofani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Shell script to create Multiple User Accounts

Hi All, Am New to shell scripting , Can u please Help me to Create a shell script which Creates Multiple Users (say up to 250 users) ,am using Rehat server 5 enterprise Edition .. I am really in need of this script So tat i can save time and effort for this Job .. KIndly help me Please ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksubash
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers

I am trying to write a script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers. My environment runs purely ssh / scp not rsh / rcp and therefore coping using rcp is not an option. I have been playing with expect to perform tasks but think there must be a better way. Has anyone got... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Change password of linux servers remotely

Hi, I am very bad at scripting. I need help from scripting experts... I need to change password of around 100 linux remote servers. I have been given a script for changing the password that automates the task. however I do not understand the usage and meaning of the script, the script is an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuka
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change user passwords using shell script

Hi, I want to change the password of unix users on a number of servers.My plan was to ssh to all the servers in a shell script and use the passwd command. I tried to do so but everytime i run it i get this error. ssh -x -n -l user1 host passwd Changing password for "user1" 3004-709 Error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojabhat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to change domain user passwords

Hi, I'm new to this site, so my apologies if this is posted to the wrong board. I'm the student administrator of a small computer science lab (20 Win 7 PCs) at a university. The logins to the PCs are handled by samba (v. 3.5.8) on a CentOS server (kernel v. 2.6.9-100.ELsmp). Recently I ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerona
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for multiple accounts with auto-gen passwords

Hello, I am studying few things on unux and scripting. I need a script to create bulk users in unux. I need some assistance from you for creating 100 or more User IDs using a bash script: Here's my requirements: 1. I need to create 100 or even more user ids of different naming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shelldorado
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change the file at one go on different UNIX machines

Hi Folks , I have a query that is I have a server (unix machhine) to which I login thru winscp or putty , mostly I use putty and at a particular location there is one xml(abc.xml) while which I change , let say 1) I login to first unix box hostname :- ccc74 username ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuntun27272727
1 Replies
NEWGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp -- change to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-l] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp utility creates a new shell execution environment with modified real and effective group IDs. The options are as follows: -l Simulate a full login. The environment and umask are set to what would be expected if the user actually logged in again. If the group operand is present, a new shell is started with the specified effective and real group IDs. The user will be prompted for a password if they are not a member of the specified group. Otherwise, the real, effective and supplementary group IDs are restored to those from the current user's password database entry. EXIT STATUS
The newgrp utility attempts to start the shell regardless of whether group IDs were successfully changed. If an error occurs and the shell cannot be started, newgrp exits >0. Otherwise, the exit status of newgrp is the exit status of the shell. SEE ALSO
csh(1), groups(1), login(1), sh(1), su(1), umask(1), group(5), passwd(5), environ(7) STANDARDS
The newgrp utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A newgrp utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Group passwords are inherently insecure as there is no way to stop users obtaining the crypted passwords from the group database. Their use is discouraged. BSD
May 23, 2002 BSD