Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming This code keeps giving me a segmentation fault why? Post 302748197 by fwrlfo on Monday 24th of December 2012 04:36:49 PM
Old 12-24-2012
This code keeps giving me a segmentation fault why?

Code:
#include<stdlib.h>
#include <pthread.h> 
#include "tlpi_hdr.h"
#include <stdio.h> 
static volatile int glob = 0;

static struct { 
pthread_t t1,t2; 
} *thread; 

static void *     /* Loop 'arg' times incrementing 'glob' */ 
threadFunc(void *arg) 
{ 

int loops = *((int *) arg); 
int loc, j, s;

if (s != 0)
errExitEN(s, "pthread_mutex_lock");
for (j = 0; j < loops; j++) { 
loc = glob; 
printf("The ID of this thread is: %u\n", (unsigned int)pthread_self());
printf("glob = %d\n", glob);
sleep(2);
loc++; 
glob = loc; 
if (s != 0)
errExitEN(s, "pthread_mutex_unlock");

} 
return NULL; 
} 

int 
main(int argc, char *argv[]) 
{ 
int loops=0;
int s; 

loops = (argc > 1) ? getInt(argv[1], GN_GT_0, "num-loops") : 10000000; 
s = pthread_create(&thread[loops].t1, NULL, threadFunc, &loops);
if (s != 0) 
errExitEN(s, "pthread_create"); 
s = pthread_create(&thread[loops].t2, NULL, threadFunc, &loops);
if (s != 0) 
errExitEN(s, "pthread_create"); 
s = pthread_join(thread[loops].t1, NULL); 
if (s != 0) 
errExitEN(s, "pthread_join"); 
s = pthread_join(thread[loops].t2, NULL); 
if (s != 0) 
errExitEN(s, "pthread_join"); 
printf("final glob = %d\n", glob); 
exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); 
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Why not a segmentation fault??

Hi, Why I don't receive a segmentation fault in the following sample. int main(void) { char buff; sprintf(buff,"Hello world"); printf("%s\n",buff); } If I define a buffer of 10 elements and I'm trying to put inside it twelve elements, Should I receive a sigsev... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
22 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

3. AIX

Segmentation fault in nsgetcinfo in aix 64-bit c code

Hello, I am running on a AIX5.2 server with Oracle 10g and 9i. My code compiles and works fine in 32-bit mode. The same code compiles in 64-bit and runs good. The program catches CNTRL-C signal to terminate. Only on 64-bit code when i hit CNTRL-C, the program exits with segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh0710
0 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault.

This code is causing a segmentation fault and I can't figure out why. I'm new to UNIX and I need to learn how to avoid this segmentation fault thing. Thank you so much. Thanks also for the great answers to my last post.:):b: int main() { mysqlpp::Connection conn(false); if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
3 Replies

5. Programming

C code : Segmentation fault

Hi Friends, I have written a small code in C which performs the below operations Task : 1 ) read line by line from a file. 2 ) assuming 3th and 4th fields of the file as GN and GNTO 3 ) The target file should contain all the fields except GNTO. 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_bhatter
3 Replies

6. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

9. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies

10. Programming

Why does this example C code run and yet SHOULD either not compile or give a segmentation fault?

Apologies for any typos... Well guys, been researching 'goto' in C and they say that you can't 'goto' labels in another function as a segmentation fault will occur. However I have found a way to 'goto' a label in another function that is NOT main() using the asm() function. As you know I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
14 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join -- wait for thread termination LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **value_ptr); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function suspends execution of the calling thread until the target thread terminates unless the target thread has already terminated. On return from a successful pthread_join() call with a non-NULL value_ptr argument, the value passed to pthread_exit() by the terminating thread is stored in the location referenced by value_ptr. When a pthread_join() returns successfully, the target thread has been terminated. The results of multiple simultaneous calls to pthread_join() specifying the same target thread are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is cancelled, then the target thread is not detached. A thread that has exited but remains unjoined counts against _POSIX_THREAD_THREADS_MAX. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_join() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
pthread_join() shall fail if: [EINVAL] The value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID, thread. pthread_join() may fail if: [EDEADLK] A deadlock was detected or the value of thread specifies the calling thread. SEE ALSO
wait(2), pthread_create(3) STANDARDS
The function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 9, 2010 BSD