Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX variable to SQL statement Post 302748145 by Scott on Monday 24th of December 2012 10:38:51 AM
Old 12-24-2012
You can't use shell variables ($app_id) in your SQL file. It's an SQL file, not a shell script.

I would suggest that you either include the SQL directly inside the SQLPlus in your shell script, or you substitute the value in your SQL file before passing it (@) into SQLPlus.

i.e.
Code:
sed "s/\$app_id/$app_id/" test.sql > test2.sql

sqlplus .... @test2

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sql query variable not exactly unix

I know htis isnt exactly unix.... but hopefully someone can help me or direct me someplace to get help. I can run sql queries in scripts against my informix db using: dbaccess mydb myquery.sql >> sql.output I need to write my script to select based on todays date. Its very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a Oracle SQL statement in a UNIX script

Hi All, I need to select one column from a table based upon the passed in parameter. I tried this: sqlplus -silent $MISP_USER << EOF set feedback off; set verify off; set sqlprompt "" SELECT mail_flag FROM dailyjobs WHERE job_name = '$1'; exit 0 EOF exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Unix Variable in a PL/SQL block

Hi, I have a unix varaible called as account which hold values which i want to use in a PL/SQL block in a shell script. This variable value is being used in multiple places in the PL/SQL block and i get an erroe whenenevr is use this varaible with $prompt. Help Urgently (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumi_mn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to get the Unix variable value in the sql stmt

Hi All I have a requirement where in I am stuck. There is a shell script that is being developed by me. It consist of the sql stmt also. I need to export a variable called HOMEPAGE with a value say www.abc.com. and then use this $HOMEPAGE variable in the sql stmt. My ultimate aim is to fetch all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell command output to a sql statement

Can i do this Say one command sed 's/:*/ /g' $summf is returning C1234 C2345 C3434 some no of rows, now this ouput i have to insert it into a DB table how do i do this?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: depakjan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix script with SQL statement problem

Hello, I have a script to get the information from database, however, it's look like the loop is not work, can someone help? :confused: echo Input file list to check: read filelist for file in 'cat $filelist.txt' do echo "select FILENAME from FILE_TABLE where filename like '${file}'%;" >>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQL statement is not work on unix script

Hi, I have the following basic script. However, the statement (line 5) is not work. The output data is not able to set my request format a30. Any advise? :mad: echo " Column filename format a30"|sqlplus4 echo Input file list to check: read filelist for file in `cat $filelist.txt` do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL output to UNIX variable

I have a sql statement , i need to assign to a variable in Unix sel count(*) AS num_files from TABLE_A; i need to use "num_files" in unix statements. let me know how to assign unix variable to above num_files (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nani1984
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Sqlplus - Capture the sql statement about to run and execution status

Greetings Experts, I am on AIX using ksh. Created a unix script which generates the CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW ... and GRANT .. statements, which are placed in a single .txt file. Now I need to execute the contents in the file (there are around 300 view creation and grant statements) in Oracle and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
4 Replies
EXECUTE(7)                                                         SQL Commands                                                         EXECUTE(7)

NAME
EXECUTE - execute a prepared statement SYNOPSIS
EXECUTE name [ ( parameter [, ...] ) ] DESCRIPTION
EXECUTE is used to execute a previously prepared statement. Since prepared statements only exist for the duration of a session, the pre- pared statement must have been created by a PREPARE statement executed earlier in the current session. If the PREPARE statement that created the statement specified some parameters, a compatible set of parameters must be passed to the EXECUTE statement, or else an error is raised. Note that (unlike functions) prepared statements are not overloaded based on the type or number of their parameters; the name of a prepared statement must be unique within a database session. For more information on the creation and usage of prepared statements, see PREPARE [prepare(7)]. PARAMETERS
name The name of the prepared statement to execute. parameter The actual value of a parameter to the prepared statement. This must be an expression yielding a value that is compatible with the data type of this parameter, as was determined when the prepared statement was created. OUTPUTS
The command tag returned by EXECUTE is that of the prepared statement, and not EXECUTE. EXAMPLES
Examples are given in the Examples [prepare(7)] section of the PREPARE [prepare(7)] documentation. COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard includes an EXECUTE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL. This version of the EXECUTE statement also uses a somewhat different syntax. SEE ALSO
DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)], PREPARE [prepare(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 EXECUTE(7)