Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Script to cat and dd last line!!! of each file Post 302747943 by eetang on Monday 24th of December 2012 01:21:02 AM
Old 12-24-2012
Linux Script to cat and dd last line!!! of each file

hi Guys,
Am new to this awesome forum, and yea i need some help here asap thnx Smilie

i have a directory with over 34000 text files, i need a script that will delete the last line of each of this file without me necessary opening the files.

illustration:-
file1 200 records
file2 130 records
file3 500 records
......etc

so i will need a script to go into each file and delete just the last line(last record) of each of this text files.

thnx for your help!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using 'cat' to in 'while read line'

Hi, I'm having some trouble reading a file that was 'cat' through a while loop. Can anyone suggest alternatives? what i do is cat filename|grep *.stuff while read line do echo $line ... and other commands done The cat,grep line seems to work correctly, but the script hangs when i add in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugger06
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat'ing a multiple line file to one line

I am writing a script that is running a loop on one file to obtain records from another file. Using egrep, I am finding matching records in file b, then outputing feilds of both into another file. **************************** filea=this.txt fileb=that.txt cat $filea | while read line do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djsal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a line of a file and cat a file with another

Hi, I have two files one.txt laptop boy apple two.txt unix linux OS openS I want to split one.txt into one line each and concatenate it with the two.txt output files onea.txt laptop (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

.sh script / Check for file in two directories then cat the files

Hi, Here is what i'm trying to do, -Check in two directories for a user inputed filename -Then cat all the version found of the file to the current screen I am a total nembie to programming, here what i have done so far.... #!/bin/bash #Check in /home/loonatic and /var/named/master... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loonatic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for LINE in $(cat file)' breaking at spaces, not just newlines

Hello. I'm making a (hopefully) simple shell script xml parser that outputs a file I can grep for information. I am writing it because I have yet to find a command line utility that can do this. If you know of one, please just stop now and tell me about it. Even better would be one I can input... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: natedawg1013
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with whole line using cat

Hi all, I need to create loop script to read full line and append a variable to each line. cat file I need the output like below 10.0.0.1,136 1 24 048800 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,137 1 25 048900 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,140 1 28 048c00 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,262 1 38 048e80... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cat command does not respect new line

Here's my script echo "1" >>hello.txt echo "2" >>hello.txt echo "3" >>hello.txt mailx -s "Check Status" #myteam@mycomp.com<hello.txt In Outlook I see EMail body as when I want it to be can you please suggest ? (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
29 Replies
Net::Sieve::Script(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Net::Sieve::Script(3pm)

NAME
Net::Sieve::Script - Parse and write sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
use Net::Sieve::Script; my $test_script = 'require "fileinto"; # Place all these in the "Test" folder if header :contains "Subject" "[Test]" { fileinto "Test"; }'; my $script = Net::Sieve::Script->new ($test_script); print "OK" if ( $script->parsing_ok ) ; print $script->write_script; or my $script = Net::Sieve::Script->new(); my $cond = Net::Sieve::Script::Condition->new('header'); $cond->match_type(':contains'); $cond->header_list('"Subject"'); $cond->key_list('"Re: Test2"'); my $actions = 'fileinto "INBOX.test"; stop;'; my $rule = Net::Sieve::Script::Rule->new(); $rule->add_condition($cond); $rule->add_action($actions); $script->add_rule($rule); print $script->write_script; DESCRIPTION
Manage sieve script Read and parse file script, make Net::Sieve::Script::Rule, Net::Sieve::Script::Action, Net::Sieve::Script::Condition objects Write sieve script Support RFC 5228 - sieve base RFC 5231 - relationnal RFC 5230 - vacation Draft regex missing 5229 variables 5232 imapflags 5233 subaddress 5235 spamtest notify draft CONSTRUCTOR
new Argument : optional text script Purpose : if param, put script in raw, parse script Return : main Script object Accessors : ->raw() : read or set original text script ->require() : require part of script ->rules() : array of rules ->max_priority() : last rule id METHODS
parsing_ok return 1 on raw parsing success write_script Purpose : write full script, require and rules parts Return : set current require, return rules ordered by priority in text format equals $object->equals($test_object): return 1 if $object and $test_object are equals read_rules $script->read_rules() : read rules from raw $script->read_rules($some_text) : parse text rules use of read_rules set $script->rules() Return 1 on success find_rule Return Net::Sieve::Script::Rule pointer find by priority Return 0 on error, 1 on not find swap_rules Swap priorities, now don't take care of if/else/elsif Return 1 on success, 0 on error reorder_rules Reorder rules with a list of number, start with 1, and with blanck separator. Usefull for ajax sort functions. Thank you jeanne for your help in brain storming. Return 1 on success, 0 on error delete_rule Delete rule and change priority, delete rule take care for 'if' test if deleted is 'if' delete next if next is 'else' change next in 'if' next is 'elsif' Return : 1 on success, 0 on error add_rule Purpose : add a rule in end of script Return : priority on success, 0 on error Argument : Net::Sieve::Script::Rule object BUGS
Rewrite a hand made script will lose comments. Verify parsing success with parsing_ok method before write a new script. SUPPORT
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-net-sieve-script at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Net-Sieve-Script>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. AUTHOR
Yves Agostini - Univ Metz - <agostini@univ-metz.fr> <http://www.crium.univ-metz.fr> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2008 Yves Agostini - <agostini@univ-metz.fr> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. SEE ALSO
Net::Sieve perl v5.10.0 2008-09-15 Net::Sieve::Script(3pm)