Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash arrays that compare ip addresses. Post 302747581 by Azrael on Friday 21st of December 2012 04:30:05 PM
Old 12-21-2012
Bash arrays that compare ip addresses.

I've been trying to have an array of ip addresses go through a loop one at a time. Then compare if the current element is in another array of ip addresses. I've traced my error with /bin/bash -x

Code:
+ for c in '"${ip[@]}"'
./netk5: line 65: 50.17.231.23 23.64.146.110 23.64.159.139 107.14.36.129 31.13.74.7 173.194.77.95: syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is ".17.231.23 23.64.146.110 23.64.159.139 107.14.36.129 31.13.74.7 173.194.77.95")

From what I found on Google it seems Bash isn't great at comparing floating point numbers. I saw some suggestions on piping through bc first, but I'm unfamiliar with how that would work here. Perhaps there's also a simpler way.

Here is the code I'm using:

Code:
 #!/bin/bash -x

fox="firefox"

declare -a white

while true 
do

stat=`netstat -antup | awk '{ print $7 }' | grep firefox | sed -ne "s/^[^\/]\+\///p" | awk '!x[$0]++';`
  b=$stat

if [ "$b" = "$fox" ];
     then

getip=`netstat -antup | grep firefox | awk '{ print $5 }' | sed -e 's/:[^:]*$//' | awk '!x[$0]++';`
     ip+=$getip

for c in "${ip[@]}"
        do
            if [ $c == "${white[$c]}" ]
            then
                echo -e "${white[$c]} in array\n"

else

echo -e "Not in array"

pass=${ip[$c]}
                white+=$pass

# clear array to avoid duplicates
             unset ip

fi

done
fi

sleep 2

done

Right now it looks to see if an ip Firefox is connected to is in the "white" array. You may have to refresh your browser to get an ip.

UPDATE: It doesn't seem to be an issue with bc. I tried using the following to get the first ip's and the error persists:
Code:
timeout 1 bc | netstat -antup | grep firefox | awk '{ print $5 }' | sed -e 's/:[^:]*$//' | awk '!x[$0]++'

Last edited by Azrael; 12-21-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: New information

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays in sh or compare two fields

I want a soultion to compare two arrays in sh with an easy way.I want a solution to synchrose users between different AIX servers where no NIS is available. All users are meant to be same on all 10 servers. So the approach is to consider first server as master user repository and whatever the users... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare arrays in perl

Hello, Let's say that we have the two following arrays @array1= @array2= Is there any easy way to compare these two arrays and print the values that exist in array1 and not in array2 and the values that exist in array2 and not in array1? Regards, Chriss_58 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Bash scripting to compare arrays looking for matches

I have two arrays I need to compare against a third, looking for matches, not differences. I think I'm going to have to convert the arrays to files and grep them, but I'm not too sure if there's a tool to enable me to matches specifically, instead of differences. Thanks in advance! Karl (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Compare 2 Arrays

Hello, Consider the following 2 arrays: Array1 = qw(Fa0/0 Fa0/1 Fa0/2 Fa0/3); Array1 = qw(Fa0/1 Fa0/2 Fa0/3 Fa0/4); I want to compare the following 2 arrays as follows: Take specific action when elements of Array1 that doesn't exist in Array2 (in my example: Fa0/0). Take another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays

Hi, I am trying to compare two lists that are held in two variables so I believe I need to access the array elements to compare these. I am using ksh 88 and the code I have tried is below: for file in ${origfilelist} do if ]] then print -- "File ${file}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frodo61
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare IP addresses and increment

Basically, I have 2 files with IP address. For example 134.123.3.234 in the first file and 134.123.3.235 in the second. Now I want to create a file with a IP address with IP 134.123.3.236...(max 254). So i have to check files which IP address in previous two files and base on that to create a new... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Diff to compare 2 arrays

I have two arrays and they look like this: array=(`cat /local/mnt/*sys/*includes|grep -v NEW`) array2=(`cat /tmp/*sys.z |grep -v NEW`) I am trying to compare them but I need to use the diff -u command. I am not sure how to do this. I cannot just do diff -u ${array} ${array2} I cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays by values [BASH]

I have 2 arrays of values for example A1 ={10 15 3 21} A2 ={10 15 3 22} I need to check which one has greater values. However: A1 ={10 15 3 21} A2 ={10 15 3 21 3} - this one would be greater. A1 ={10 15 5 21} - this one greater A2 ={10 15 3 21} Basically, I want to compare patch... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jutsimitsu
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare bash arrays issue

Hello everyone, I need help comparing 2 arrays. the first array is static; the second array is not .. array1=( "macOS Mojave" "iTunes" ) cd /Volumes array2=( * ) # output of array2 macOS Mojave iTunes Mac me The problem occurs when I compare the arrays with the following code - ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trexthurman
6 Replies
FIREFOX(1)							Linux User's Manual							FIREFOX(1)

NAME
firefox - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser SYNOPSIS
firefox [OPTIONS] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. USAGE
firefox is a simple shell script that will set up the environment for the actual executable. OPTIONS
A summary of the options supported by firefox is included below. GTK options --gdk-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to set --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to unset --gtk-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to set --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to unset --gtk-module=MODULE Load an additional Gtk module X11 options --display=DISPLAY X display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --no-xshm Don't use X shared memory extension --xim-preedit=STYLE --xim-status=STYLE --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal Firefox options -h, -help Show summary of options. -height value Set height of startup window to value. -width value Set width of startup window to value. -v, -version Print /usr/bin/firefox-bin version. -CreateProfile profile Create profile. -P profile Start with profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -contentLocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -remote command Execute command in an already running Firefox process. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html -no-remote Don't try to control an already running instance. -jsconsole Start with Javascript Console -chrome url Load the specified chrome. -new-window url Open URL in a new window if Firefox is already running. -new-tab url Open URL in a new tab if Firefox is already running. -preferences Open Firefox preferences menu. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. FILES /usr/bin/firefox - shell script wrapping firefox /usr/lib/firefox/firefox - firefox executable VERSION
3.0 BUGS
To report a bug, please visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ SEE ALSO
mozilla(1) AUTHORS
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/about.html firefox January 04, 2006 FIREFOX(1)