Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Abnormality while piping tr command output to sed Post 302746511 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 01:50:40 PM
Old 12-19-2012
In addition to the possibilities already listed, note that the standards only define the behavior of sed when the input is a text file. The output from the tr command is not a text file (by definition, the last character of a text file that is not an empty file is a <newline> character). The tr command you gave strips off the trailing <newline>; the echo command you gave supplies a trailing <newline>. If this is the problem, the tr|awk pipeline may work as you expect on some systems and produce no output at all (or do something completely different) on other systems.

Here are a couple of portable ways to do this:
Code:
awk 'NR==1{o = $0; next}
        {o = o "," $0}
END     {print o}' myfile

and:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
(read o
while IFS="" read x
do      o="$o,$x"
done
printf "%s\n" "$o"
) < myfile

I use the Korn shell, but you can replace /bin/ksh in #!/bin/ksh with a path to any POSIX conforming shell on your system.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-21-2012 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output to while read

Hi. Im using cat to output the contents of a file, then piping it to my while read loop.In this loop variables get assigned values. However when i try to use the variables outside the loop their values has been reset.I understand about subshells etc. but I have no idea how to "preserve" the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultimodiablo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

piping the output of find command to grep

Hi, I did not understand why the following did not work out as I expected: find . -name "pqp.txt" | grep -v "Permission" I thought I would be able to catch whichever paths containing my pqp.txt file without receiving the display of messages such as "find: cannot access... Permisson... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output to echo

Hi, I was wondering why ls * | echo does not print the contents of the directory to the screen? The way I see it, ls * returns a whole lot of information, and then we pipe all this info to echo, so surely it should all come to our screen! Is there a serious flaw in my understanding? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping oracle output to a file?

Hi All... Does anyone know how to pipe the output of a "select" statement from a call to Oracle to a file? ANy ideas woule be greatly appreciated! Code is as below... echo "producing CSV file 2..." sqlplus -s $username/$password@$database<<EOF set serveroutput on size 1000000 set... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping and assigning output to a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh code into Perl. But i have the following error. Can any expert help ? Error: ls: *tac: No such file or directory Csh set $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; Perl my $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help piping the output from an app... uh, yeah...

Ok, so there is a perl script that runs as a server, on my local host. It tells me which port to use. I want to pipe that output into my browser so I can do the whole thing with a single command. The problem is, I think, that the program doesn't actually exit cause it's running a server, so...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjaaron
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output of ls to a text file

Basically I was wondering if any of you know how to pipe the output of ls to a text file? so in my shell script one of the lines is ls but i want to pipe it into a file called directory listing. Cheers. I have tried ls | Directorylisting.txt but it keeps saying " line 7: DirectoryListing.txt:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Facing abnormality in Find command

Whenever the below command is being executed by a scheduler at UNIX environment, we are getting below error cd /tmp/log find . -ignore_readdir_race ! -name . -prune -iname 'XYZ*' -type f -mtime +4 -printf "%f\n" ./tmpfile.script_name.2.31885.201906071336.tmp': No such file or directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anirban2208
2 Replies
IMAGE_TO_J2K(1) 						  OPENJPEG TOOLS						   IMAGE_TO_J2K(1)

NAME
image_to_j2k - convert a PNM, PGM, PPM, PGX or BMP into a J2K or JP2 file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
image_to_j2k converts an image into a JPEG 2000-encoded image OPTIONS
-ImgDir sourcedir Directory of PGM, PPM, PNM, PGX or BMP files to convert -OutFor extension J2K or JP2 output file format -i source PNM, PGM or PPM file to convert -o destination J2K or JP2 file to output to -h Display help information -cinema2k fps Digital Cinema 2K profile compliant codestream for 2K resolution. 24 or 48 fps. -cinema4k [fps] Digital Cinema 4K profile compliant codestream for 4K resolution. fps default is 24 -r ratios compression factor for successive layers, comma seperated -q psnr psnr for successive layers, comma seperated -n rescount number of resolutions -b blocksize width and height of code block, comma-seperated -c precintsize width and height of precinct, comma-seperated -t tilesize width and height of tile, comma-seperated -p progression progression order, one of LRCP, RLCP, RPCL, PCRL, CPRL -s subsampling subsampling factor in X and Y, comma-seperated. Values larger than 2 can produce errors -POC orders progression order change -SOP write SOP marker before each packet -EPH write EPH marker after each header packet -M modeflags Sum of the values of the modes, as follows: 1. BYPASS (LAZY) 2. RESET 4. RESTART (TERMALL) 8. VSC 16. ERTERM (SEGTERM) 32. SEGMARK (SEGSYM) -x indexfile create an index file -ROI:quantize quantization indices upshifted for component c between 0 and 2 inclusive with an upshift of U between 0 and 37 inclusive -d imageoffset X and Y offset of the origin of the image, comma-seperated -T tileoffset X and Y offset of the origin of the tiles, comma-seperated -I use the irreversible DWT 9-7 EXAMPLE
ratios: 20,10,1 Quality 1: compress 20x; Quality 2: compress 10x; Quality 3: lossless compression psnr: 30,40,50 quantize: c=0,U=25 orders: T1=0,0,1,5,3,CPRL Title 1: Resolution 0 start, component 0 start, layer 1 end, resolution 5 end, component 3 end, CPRL progression AUTHOR
Written by Paul Hampson <Paul.Hampson@Pobox.com> based on the output of image_to_j2k -h as part of the Debian packaging of OpenJPEG COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Paul Hampson SEE ALSO
j2k_to_image(1), <http://www.openjpeg.org/index.php?menu=doc#encoder> 1.3+dfsg 2014-04-22 IMAGE_TO_J2K(1)