Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the log and return the right value Post 302746411 by Yoda on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 09:52:31 AM
Old 12-19-2012
How about:-
Code:
{
 set -v
 cd /root/;ls |grep .sh 
 lspci |grep 0000
} > collect_log

---------- Post updated at 08:52 ---------- Previous update was at 08:45 ----------

Or you can use script command to make typescript of terminal session.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value

Hallo I want write a sh script but I have some troubles! How can I write the Return value to a variable? I need an egrep command with the option -c, how many times it give the pattern. This return value shold be written in a variable. Could you help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raphael.schwend
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

the return value $?

Could someone tell me that's the return value $? 15 mean? Where can i find out more? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the return log file

I have an execution in my shell script when run return a xxx.log file how wil i be able to get the name of the file and read it then test the string written in the file by the programs... Anyone can help me please... Am new to shell programming...... Lutchumaya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return Value

How do I find out the return value of a shell script or program in Unix? Is there a command to find that out?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

/var/cron/log Return Codes

I want to know if there is any documentation or any type of information that can give a list of all of the return codes that can be seen in the /var/cron/log. I have seen a couple in my log file. Example: rc=1 and rc=64. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjames
2 Replies

6. Programming

cp and rm return non zero value

rm and cp return non zero values sometimes. sprintf(tmp, "rm -rf %s/* 2>/dev/null\n", dest); rc = system( tmp ); rc = 1 and errno =0 sprintf(tmp, "cp -r %s/* %s 2>/dev/null", source, dest); rc = system( tmp ); rc = -1 and errno = 2. The files exist and the paths are correct. I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: latitude
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a UNIX script from LOG to provide return code.

Folks - Firstly, I do apologize that my first post here is a question. I am quite familiar with UNIX since our application is running on it. We are trying to automate a few things on our end and I am challenged with a task in hand that requires UNIX scripting. I am totally a newbie in UNIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk72
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how should I get the return value

ls xx > yy.log echo $? can get the return value of "ls xx" but if I use ls xx |tee -a yy.log I can't get the return value of "ls xx", and I get the return value of the whole cmd "ls xx |tee -a yy.log", it is always "0" my question is how could I get the return value of "ls xx"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)