Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ? Post 302745797 by filosophizer on Tuesday 18th of December 2012 05:22:51 AM
Old 12-18-2012
[Solved] Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks,

I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space

Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as operating system has some lv which cannot be copied other than mirrorvg..

is there a way to make another smaller hdisk = 10GB have a copy of only the AIX operating system from the already existing hdisk which is 300GB ?

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one

Hello folks, I have a sun sparcstation 20, I would like to upgrade one of the hard disks to a larger one. The one I would like to upgrade only contains user data. Here are my thoughts: 1. Backup the specific file system 2. Replace the disk with the larger disk 3. Create a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLongan
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

clone disk

Disk cloning I had an external SCSI master disk that I used to clone to an identical external SCSI disk because the other SCSI disk would become corrupted. My original Master became corrupted so I used one of the other to good disk to copy back to the master. Unfortunately the new master needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stamperr
1 Replies

5. Solaris

disk 2 disk mirror

Dear friends & gurus i have some servers running solaris 10 intel machines,they are in mirror disk 2 disk there is no any hardware RAID only software RAID and they are in remote place. 1) solaris 10 OS c0t0d0(Disk1) & cotod1(Disk2) in mirror (SVM) 2) i want to break the mirror 3) boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niru
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Faster dd for disk clone

Guys can anyone tell how can we do faster disk cloning Below i found in google 1. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync So adding "conv=noerror,sync " makes it faster looks against not adding it 2. Enable write cache activated (hdparm -W1 /dev/sda) then run dd .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

9. AIX

Clone 1 Hard disk fromIBM Intellipoint server with AIX 5.x

Hello to all, Im having a new task in a new world (AIX - IBM Servers) I have an IBM Server (Type - 9111-285 very old one) with one Hard disk (73 GB 10 K) with AIX 5.x, and I need to clone the existing disk to another with the same specifications. Could you please give me some advice in order... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevian3969
7 Replies
fsvoladm(1M)															      fsvoladm(1M)

NAME
fsvoladm - VxFS volume administration utility SYNOPSIS
[bias] DESCRIPTION
The utility performs administrative tasks, such as adding, removing, resizing, and encapsulating volumes in a specified VERITAS File Sys- tem. mount_point specifies the directory on which the file system is mounted. volname specifies the volume within the volume set. By default, size, bias, and newsize are specified in units of disk blocks bytes). However, you can append or to the number to indicate that the value is in kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, or terabytes, respectively. Keywords Adds a volume to a file system. The new space is available for allocation. Removes an encapsulated volume from a file system and restores the original contents of the volume. This operation can fail if there were significant changes to a file's allocations on disk since encapsulation. A volume encapsulated with a bias cannot be deencapsulated. Adds a volume to a file system, making the contents of that volume, starting from offset bias, available as a file instead of free space. The size of the encapsulated file is size - bias. bias must be smaller than size, and be a multiple of the file system block size. The default value of bias is 0. Displays the volumes in a file system. Removes a volume from a file system. Resizes one of the volumes in a file system. In some circumstances, the command cannot resize a 100% full file system due to lack of space for updating structural information. Check VxFS file systems on a regular basis; increase their size if they approach 100% capacity. This problem can also occur if the file system is very busy. Free up space or reduce activity on the file system and try the resize again. EXAMPLES
The following command adds the volume that is 10 gigabytes in size, to the file system The following command removes the volume from the file system The following command resizes the volume in the file system from its current size to 20 GB: The following command displays the volumes in the file system The following command encapsulates the volume The volume is ten gigabytes in size, resides in the file system and has the file name The following command de-encapsulates the volume that was encapsulated in the previous example: SEE ALSO
df_vxfs(1M), fsapadm(1M), fsvoladm(1M), mount_vxfs(1M), vxvset(1M), fsvoladm(1M)