Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in parsing XML output file in perl. Post 302745641 by jim mcnamara on Monday 17th of December 2012 05:17:20 PM
Old 12-17-2012
You are better off using XML::Parser - search.cpan.org
to parse xml.

It is somewhat complex, but it will handle correctly formed XML strings.
What if for some valid reason some "field" you expect to key off of is missing? grep may break. An xml parser won't.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTTP Query Request & Parsing returned XML output

I have a PERL script from which I need to make a HTTP request to Web Servlet (Essentially a URL with variables and values like &Variable1=AAAAAA&Variable2=BBBBBBBBB&Variable3=CCCCCCC). The Web servlet returns an XML result which needs to be parsed for the contents of the result within the program.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xml parsing error in perl

******************PERL VERSION************************ This is perl, v5.8.1 built for i386-linux-thread-multi ERROR!!!!---Undefined subroutine &main::start called at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Expat.pm line 469. *********************PERL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help parsing a XML file ....

Well I have read several threads on the subject ... but being a newbie like me makes it hard to understand ... What I need is the following: Input data: ------- snip --------- <FavouriteLocations> <FavouriteLocations class="FavouriteList"><Item... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: misak
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random XML Parsing - using Perl

Given the XML: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <reference> <refbody> <section> <p> <ul> <li><xref href="file1.dita#anchor" /></li> <li><xref href="file2.dita#anchor" /></li> </ul> </p> </section> <section> <p> <xref href="file3.dita#anchor" /> </p> <p> <xref... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash XML Parsing using Perl XPath

I have a bash script that needs to read input from an XML file, which includes varying numbers of a certain type of child node. I want to be able to iterate through all the child nodes of a given parent. I installed the Perl XML-XPath package from search.cpan.org. Once it's installed, from bash,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfmorales
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing xml file

Hello! We need to parse weblogic config.xml file and display rows in format: machine:listen-port:name:application_name In our enviroment the output should be (one line for every instance): Crm-Test-Web:8001:PIA:peoplesoft Crm-Test-Web:8011:PIA:peoplesoft... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: annar
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing XML result by using perl?

for some reasons, i need to parse the XML result by using perl. for instance, this is a sample XML result: <Response> <status>success</status> <answer>AAA::AAA</answer> <answer>BBB::BBB</answer> </Response> then i can use this way : my @output = (); foreach my $parts (@all) ##@all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing XML file

I want to parse xml file sample file....... <name locale="en">my_name<>/name><lastChanged>somedate</lastChanged><some more code here> <name locale="en">tablename1<>/name><lastChanged>somedate</lastChanged> <definition><dbquery><sources><sql type="cognos">select * from... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms2001
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing xml file

Hi, Need help with parsing xml data in unix and place it in a csv file. My xml file looks like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?> <iwgroups> <nextid value="128"> </nextid> <iwgroup name="RXapproval" id="124" display-name="RXapproval"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
11 Replies
XML(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  XML(3pm)

NAME
CGI::XML - Perl extension for converting CGI.pm variables to/from XML SYNOPSIS
use CGI::XML; $q = new CGI::XML; # convert CGI.pm variables to XML $xml = $q->toXML; $xml = $q->toXML($root); # convert XML to CGI.pm variables $q->toCGI($xml); DESCRIPTION
The CGI::XML module converts CGI.pm variables to XML and vice versa. CGI::XML is a subclass of CGI.pm, so it reads the CGI variables just as CGI.pm would. METHODS
$q = new CGI::XML creates a new instance of CGI::XML. You also have access to all of the methods in CGI.pm. $q->toXML([$root]) where $root is an optional parameter that specifies the root element. By default, toXML will not return a root element. $q->toCGI($xml) where $xml is the XML you would like to convert to CGI.pm parameters. Values in the XML will overwrite any existing values if they exist. NOTE
CGI::XML does not currently handle multiple selections passed from HTML forms. This will be added in a future release. AUTHOR
Jonathan Eisenzopf <eisen@pobox.com> CONTRIBUTORS
David Black <dblack@candle.superlink.net> SEE ALSO
perl(1), XML::Parser(3). perl v5.8.8 2004-12-05 XML(3pm)