Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Allowing a backup of a directory through apache/php Post 302745113 by cuvvvie on Sunday 16th of December 2012 06:38:24 PM
Old 12-16-2012
Allowing a backup of a directory through apache/php

I've made a webpage has a button that backs up the /var/www directory to a mounted USB drive. Assume that the page that this is on is completely safe and there is no way that anyone can see it. (unless actually relevant)

PHP code for the button: (I'm quite sure this isn't the issue, it works with other scripts that don't need the same privileges)
Code:
shell_exec('sh /etc/sh-scripts/www_custom.sh');

www_custom.sh code: (made to exclude files under 5MB)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
find /var/www -type f -size -5120k | xargs sudo tar czvf /media/[thumbdrive directory]/www_backup.tar.gz

I can run the script fine under my user, because I'm a sudoer and can use NOPASSWD, but it won't work with the button because www-data isn't. I read that it's a very poor idea to make apache a sudoer with NOPASSWD privileges so I won't do that. If what I'm saying makes no sense, I'm sorry. I am quite new at this, and have looked around the best I could but found no suggested alternatives.

Any ideas to make this work, whether it's a small tweak or a completely different approach, would be great. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apache directory browsing

How do i prevent clients from browsing directory structures if there is no index.html in a directory? For example, lets say that i dynamically create directories on in my doc root of an apache based web server. I know if i type the url and there is no index or default page in there, then apache... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezekiel61
1 Replies

2. Web Development

apache, surfing a directory

Hi, I have a directory and I need a url that users can surf it.like ftp. my web server is apache. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup of Directory

Hi, I need to take a tar backup of a dir on AIX. Pls let me know the command for the same. Thanks, Narayan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narayanv
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Restricting Directory in Apache

Hello, I want to restrict access to our Subversion repositories to only our internal network. I have a virtual host directive setup in Apache for the IP and port 443. When I put the following: <VirtualHost 205.147.86.33:443> <Directory "/var/www/svn/"> Order deny,allow AllowOverride... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Restricting Directory in Apache

Hello, I want to restrict access to our Subversion repositories to only our internal network. I have a virtual host directive setup in Apache for the IP and port 443. When I put the following: <Directory "/var/www/svn/"> Order allow,deny AllowOverride None Allow from 10.5.10.0/24 Allow... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. AIX

Restore a directory from backup

Dear All: we are using backup command on AIX to take backup as below in this command we also add compress command ulimit unlimited cd /apps/oracle find orcldb orcldata arch |tee /apps/orabkp/ofgl.faysalbank.com-17Jun10Thu-ORCL-DB.bkp.gz.log | backup -ivqf - |gzip -c >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Configuring Apache an php Directory root.

Hi , I have installed apache and configured Document root as /home DocumentRoot "/home" The files under home directory is listed on the web server, i have one text file under "/home/test/1.txt" i can view the file when i set DocumentRoot to /home. But when i change Document root to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

8. Linux

Restricting directory access in Apache server

Hi all, I have a web site that I'm serving on an Apache server, and it has a number of different folders, but I only want the user to be able to access certain ones -- the majority of them I don't want the user to access. I tried modifying my /etc/apache2/conf.d/security file to do this, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the Apache Installation directory in Linux

Hi All, I have installed apache using yum on centos. I know that the default installation directory is /var/www/html. Now I want to change the installation directory to /mnt/ebs. How can I do this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
5 Replies
nisbackup(1M)                                             System Administration Commands                                             nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)