Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with ahem Prime number Generating Script Post 302745057 by Yoda on Sunday 16th of December 2012 01:07:17 PM
Old 12-16-2012
First of all you did not clearly mention how Sieve of Eratosthenes is not working properly. What issues or errors you are observing while running.

But I looked at your Sieve of Eratosthenes and found several lines with Useless Use of Cat which you can avoid. Also here are few corrections that you can make and re-run:-

Replace let calc1=`expr $calc+1` with let calc1=$( expr $calc + 1 ) (should have space b/w operators and operands)

Replace let a=`expr $Wordcounter+1` with let a=$( expr $Wordcounter + 1 ) (should have space b/w operators and operands)

Replace == with -eq while performing numeric comparison.
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prime Number Program (Fun)

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has, or knows where to download a prime number finder program. I would like a fairly simple bash program, and also I would like one that could take advantage of multiple processors. I have 500 cores I can use, and would like to take advantage of them using a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kweekwom
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating line number

Hi, I am generating a file through some Datastage commands: cat $TempDir/stage.txt |while read line do stagename=`echo $line` dsjob -llinks $proj $jobname $stagename 2>/dev/null >> $TempDir/LinkName.txt Now i have to assign the number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
5 Replies

3. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

4. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Prime number help

Hello, I have some extra time at work and I'm trying to come up with a good prime number generator for very large numbers that can take advantage of multiple (hundreds) cores. I realize Perl may not be the best solution for this, any ideas? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kweekwom
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating graphs for many number of files

Hi, I have a series of data files for which I wish to plot using "splot". Say, the files names are like: 950_data,951_data,952_data,......1000_data. For one file , say to plot 950_data, i write following lines into a single file and load it in the gnuplot as : gnuplot> load 'plot' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin_shell
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I use grep to grab prime number output from my factor program?

I have a factor program that runs and outputs to stdout all the prime numbers that are specified in the given paramters, in this case 30000000-31000000. Command: factor/factor 30000000-31000000 Sample output: 30999979 = 30999979 30999980 = 2^2 5 11 140909 30999981 = 3 10333327... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
6 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - condition command SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expr, and if its value is true then returns zero exit status; otherwise, a non zero exit status is returned. test returns a non zero exit if there are no arguments. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file true if the file exists and is readable. -w file true if the file exists and is writable. -f file true if the file exists and is not a directory. -d file true if the file exists and is a directory. -s file true if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t [ fildes ] true if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 true if the length of string s1 is zero. -n s1 true if the length of the string s1 is nonzero. s1 = s2 true if the strings s1 and s2 are equal. s1 != s2 true if the strings s1 and s2 are not equal. s1 true if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 true if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -a binary and operator -o binary or operator ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. -a has higher precedence than -o. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the Shell and must be escaped. SEE ALSO
sh(1), find(1) TEST(1)