Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help Post 302744821 by Yoda on Saturday 15th of December 2012 12:25:26 AM
Old 12-15-2012
Rod, here is a crude script that I wrote in bash. It uses cksum to check if the file in DIR_1 is modified. I have commented most of the steps. This one is just to give you an idea of using a different approach other than diff, I hope it helps.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for file_1 in $( find DIR_1/* -type f | sed 's/\.\.\///g' )             # For each file in DIR_1
do
        file_2=$( echo $file_1 | sed 's/DIR_1/DIR_2/g' )                # Getting file path in DIR_2
        dir_2=$( dirname $file_2 )

if [ ! -d $dir_2 ]                                              # Checking if sub-dir exists in DIR_2
        then
                echo -e "Dir: $dir_2 does not exist. Creating...\c"
                mkdir -p $dir_2                                         # Creating if sub-dir missing
                echo "Done"
        fi

if [ -f $file_2 ]                                               # Checking if file exists in DIR_2
        then
                cksum_file_1=$( cksum $file_1 | cut -f 1 -d " " )       # Get cksum of file in DIR_1
                cksum_file_2=$( cksum $file_2 | cut -f 1 -d " " )       # Get cksum of file in DIR_2

if [ $cksum_file_1 -ne $cksum_file_2 ]                  # Check if cksum matches
                then
                        echo -e "File: $file_1 is modified. Copying..\c"
                        cp $file_1 $file_2                              # Copy if cksum mismatch
                        echo "Done"
                fi
        else
                echo -e "File: $file_2 does not exist. Copying...\c"
                cp $file_1 $file_2                                      # Copy if file does not exist.
                echo "Done"
        fi
done

BTW I am using only 2 directory structures in this script: DIR_1 & DIR_2.

Last edited by Yoda; 12-15-2012 at 01:31 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i collect Date & Time from Different Directories in a script

How do i collect Date & Time from Different Directories in a script The script iam using for a single directory is : ls -l | grep awk '{print $8}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting to compare N number of files located in two directories

I want to compare "N" (around 2000+) number of huge files located in a directory A against "N" files located in a different directory using Bash scripting. Please help me with any scripts available. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two directories and copy differing files

Hello there, I'm a total noob to shell scripting. :) What I want to do is compare the contents of Folder A and Folder B, and copy any files in Folder A that do not exist in Folder B over to Folder B. I have gotten so far as: diff -rq folderA folderB which returns the names of the files,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raaaaaa
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a shell script to compare two directories and produces the output

Hi, I am using solaris OS 10 and Bash shell.I need a script which will compare the two directories and produces the output. Step 1: In detail say suppoose I have machine one and have a directory dir1. Script should iterate through the directories and subdirectories inside and produce the output... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy certain info from several directories

Hi, I am writing a script to copy certain file name in txt file . It is working fine if I provide a single directory name (for example "/eos/uscms/store/user/pooja04//analysis2012/525/data/doubleele/2012/datav1/" ) where those specific files are present ending with *root . But I want to modify... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare File & Copy Replace if Successful

Hi All, I have written a shell script that creates a backup of my MySQL database. The script performs the following functions: Creates a Backup of the MySQL database Compresses the Backup Copies the Backup to a Remote Server Send an E-Mail displaying the size of the Backup Removes any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SalientAnimal
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to compare directories and delete files on target server

Hello, I need help in writing the shell script for below mentioned case. There are 2 servers(server A, server B). A cronjob syncs files between these 2 servers. Existing script is copying files from A to B. This is done using the command rsync. However, the files are not deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SravaniVedam11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)