Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pattern Match Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pattern Match Script Post 302744703 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of December 2012 03:07:13 PM
Old 12-14-2012
It works absolutely fine here. Show exactly what you did, word for word, letter for letter, keystroke for keystroke, and I'll tell you why it didn't work. I suspect your input isn't quite what I expected.

To save something in a variable, save something in a variable. It's just a different statement in the same place, you can put whatever you want there.

Code:
case "$1" in
        *NF)
                VAR="NBC"
                ;;
         SC*)
                VAR="CBS"
                ;;
esac

Note there's no spaces on either side of the equal sign. Shell code insists on that, putting spaces there changes the meaning.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to match a pattern and print lines

Hi I have a file (say 'file1')and I want to search for a first occurence of pattern (say 'ERROR') and print ten lines in the file below pattern. I have to code it in PERL and I am using Solaris 5.9. I appreciate any help with code Thanks Ammu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to match pattern till blank line

Hi, I need to match lines after a pattern, upto the first blank line. Searched in web and some forums but coulnt find the answer. where <restart_step> = 10 -- Execute query 20 -- Write the contents to the Oracle table 30 -- Writing Contents to OUTPUT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert a shell script to a php script for displaying next word after pattern match

I have a shell script which I made with the help of this forum #!/bin/sh RuleNum=$1 cat bw_rules | sed 's/^.*-x //' | awk -v var=$RuleNum '$1==var {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if($i=="-bwout") print $(i+3),$(i+1)}}' Basically I have a pages after pages of bandwidth rules and the script gives... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb245
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match .com in awk script

guys ! I want to search .com,.html files ..... how do I match pattern...? here's wht I hv written if ( $i ~ /.com/ ) even escaping it doesn't help if ( $i ~ /\.com/ ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreeprabha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that can do a pattern match

Hi, str1="Hello World" CheckPattern="drW" Need a search function that will do a character search. and return me which charater($CheckPattern) is not matched in $str1. Thanks in advance Madhu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhuti
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values for a pattern match and execute script

Here in the input file 23:59:13,devicename,21,server1,700 23:59:13,devicename,22,server2,200 23:59:13,devicename,23,server3,200 23:59:13,devicename,24,server4,200 23:59:13,devicename,25,server5,200 23:59:13,devicename,26,server6,200 23:59:13,devicename,27,server7,200... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to match a pattern and print only the pattern and after that

Hi, I am writing a shell script to parse some files, and gather data. The data in the files is displayed as below. .......xyz: abz: ...... .......xyz: abz: ..... I have tried using awk and cut, bu the position of these values keep changing, so I can use awk and split it into columns. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serena
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script for pattern match and line break

Hi, I have input which reads like 9089.00 ----- kl jkjjljk lkkk; (909099) 9097.00 ----- HGJJHHJ jcxkjlkjvhvlk jhdkjksdfkhfskd 898.00 ----- HHHH I am trying to do something like this - As soon as I found pattern match "XYZ.00-----" it will insert a line break to the input and will go to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed script to delete the last word after a last pattern match

Hi Guys , I am having a file as stated below File 1 sa0 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U261/A sa0 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U265/Z sa1 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U265/A sa1 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U268/Z sa1 -- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
7 Replies
setterm(1)						      General Commands Manual							setterm(1)

NAME
setterm - build a Stream on a tty line SYNOPSIS
setterm [ -t TERMNAME ] setterm -x NAME setterm -v AVAILABILITY
SUNWale DESCRIPTION
Setterm is used to build a STREAMS configuration on a tty line. It expects to be called with stdin, stdout, and stderr all attached to a terminal line, though it will usually work if only standard input is connected to a terminal line. It will normally be called with some kind of line discipline already pushed onto the line, since getty needs to push a line discipline that can be used by login. If invoked with no arguments, setterm looks at the user's environment for a $TERM variable. If none is found, setterm exits, since it needs the $TERM information to do any further processing. If the -t option is given with an argument, the next argument (TERMNAME) is taken to be the name of a terminal type. The terminal name is looked up in the terminfo(4) database and the field "devt" (if one exists) is extracted from the entry. If there is no "devt" field, the terminal is assumed to be ASCII, requiring no additional processing, and setterm will then print the message "Device is ASCII" and exit. Setterm then runs the commands in its configuration file associated with the "devt" field in the terminfo(4) entry. If the -t option is not given, or if there are no command line arguments, then it is an error for no entry to match. In that case setterm exits with an error message. If the -x option is given, the following argument (NAME) is taken to be a "devt" field appearing in the configuration file. The ter- minfo(4) entry is not looked up, but the argument is used instead. The matching entry in the configuration file is executed uncondition- ally; therefore the -x option should be used with caution. The -x option is most useful for testing modules, and in switching between con- figurations dynamically, or for overriding the default entry for a particular "devt" type. The following "devt" fields are registered in each locale's configuration file: Chinese/PRC locale (locale name = "zh") GenericEUC|EUC For EUC terminal ASCII For ASCII terminal Error For recovery from error in setterm execution sane For reset of STREAMS Chinese/Taiwan locale (locale name = "zh_TW" / "zh_TW.BIG5") big5 For Big-5 terminal GenericEUC|EUC For EUC terminal ASCII For ASCII terminal Error For recovery from error in setterm execution sane For reset of STREAMS Japanese locale (locale name = "ja") JapanPCK|PCK|JapanSJIS|SJIS For PCK (Shift-JIS) terminal JapanNewJIS7|NewJIS7 For 7Bit new JIS terminal JapanOldJIS7|OldJIS7 For 7Bit old JIS terminal JapanNewJIS8|NewJIS8 For 8Bit new JIS terminal JapanOldJIS8|OldJIS8 For 8Bit old JIS terminal GenericEUC|JapanEUC|EUC For EUC terminal ASCII For ASCII terminal Error For recovery from error in setterm execution sane For reset of STREAMS Japanese locale (locale name = "ja_JP.PCK") JapanPCK|PCK|JapanSJIS|SJIS For PCK (Shift-JIS) terminal JapanNewJIS7|NewJIS7 For 7Bit new JIS terminal JapanOldJIS7|OldJIS7 For 7Bit old JIS terminal JapanNewJIS8|NewJIS8 For 8Bit new JIS terminal JapanOldJIS8|OldJIS8 For 8Bit old JIS terminal GenericEUC|JapanEUC|EUC For EUC terminal ASCII For ASCII terminal Error For recovery from error in setterm execution sane For reset of STREAMS Korean locale (locale name = "ko") KoreanPACK|PACK For Packed code terminal (KS C 5601-1987) KoreanJOHAP|JOHAP For Combination code terminal (KS C 5601-1992) GenericEUC|EUC For EUC (Wansung) terminal ASCII For ASCII terminal Error For recovery from error in setterm execution sane For reset of STREAMS Korean locale (locale name = "ko.UTF-8") U8|u8|UTF-8|utf-8 For UTF-8 (of KS C 5700) terminal KoreanU8EUC|KU8EUC For EUC (Wansung) terminal KoreanU8JOHAP|KU8JOHAP For Combination code terminal (KS C 5601-1992) GenericEUC|EUC For EUC (Wansung) terminal without UTF-8 code conversion ASCII For ASCII terminal Error For recovery from error in setterm execution sane For reset of STREAMS The -v option is used to verify that the contents of the configuration file are correct. It prints debugging output for each entry in the configuration file, but does not perform any of the actions. It is only used for syntactic verification of configurations. If the "devt" field is present for the given terminal, its value is used in searching the configuration file for an appropriate entry. The line in the configuration file is parsed and the actions carried out by setterm. If the user's environment contains the variable $SETTLIB, it is taken to be the pathname of a file to use as the configuration file instead of the default configuration file, allowing per-user customization. For languages requiring dictionary modules or other specialized processing capability the "run" command can be used to send appropriate ioctl(2) commands and do special purpose (i.e. language dependent) processing once the Stream has been built, or appropriate modules pushed. Programs run via the "run" command for this purpose, generally residing in the setterm library, are known as initialization pro- grams. As distributed, the setterm configuration file comes with a few examples, and the format should be self-explanatory. Lines beginning with "#" (in the first column only) are ignored as comments. COMMAND LANGUAGE The setterm command language is very simple. Each entry occupies a single logical line in the configuration file. Newlines may be escaped with a backslash so that entries may be spread over several physical lines for ease of editing. Each entry consists of an identifying word (which normally matches a "devt" entry of the terminfo(4) database) and a list of actions. Each action is separated by whitespace (spaces, tabs, or escaped newlines). A "word" is defined as a block of alpha-numeric or special printing characters containing no whitespace or control characters. An action consists of a command word, which may be followed by a single argument word. The argument word is separated from the command word by either a comma or whitespace. An argument word must not contain any spaces or tabs, but may have internal delimiters, such as colons and commas. For example: Acceptable: A=ldterm:eldterm,ld0:eld0 Unacceptable: A = ldterm: eldterm , ld0:eld0 The following commands are recognized. "NAME", "NAMELIST", "MOD1", and "MOD2", indicate the names of modules; "NAMELIST" indicates one or more of module names separated (with no space) by a vertical bar ("|" symbol); "CMD" indicates a shell command line; "VAR" indicates a sin- gle letter variable name from "A" through "F"; "WORDLIST" indicates a special wordlist for the "select" command: cmd Arguments Action(s) pop none pop one module popto NAMELIST pop until it encounters one of modules in NAMELIST or there is no more to pop popall none pop all modules throw none save termio(7) settings catch none restore termio(7) settings push NAME push module name run { CMD } run command line between {} set VAR set VAR to name of top module if VAR=NAME?MOD1:MOD2 if the value of VAR is equal to NAME, then push MOD1, else push MOD2 test VAR=NAME set VAR to NAME if the module "NAME" is in the STREAM select VAR=WORDLIST test "VAR" against the left word of each pair in "WORDLIST"; push the first right word that matches Some special words are recognized for the "if", "test" and "select" commands. These words are: END stop processing and exit NUL do nothing POP pop a module rather than pushing ELSE as first of a pair in a WORDLIST, match any value including a NULL string The argument to an "if" command, as shown above, has the following meaning: if the value of the given variable matches the literal module name "NAME", then the action "MOD1" is taken, otherwise the action "MOD2" is taken. If no alternate action is desired, the colon and "MOD2" may be elided. The action for a module name is, by default, to push it. If the module name is one of the special names, then the action associated with the special name is taken. An "ELSE" keyword may not appear in a "test" or "if" command. The "END" keyword may not appear as the value to test a variable against, but only as an action to take on a match. The "WORDLIST" for a "select" command is a variable name, an equal sign, then a list of word pairs of the form "WORD.WORD". Each word pair is separated from the others by a comma. Thus, a whole "select" command might look like: select A=eld0:ld0epld:ppld,ELSE:ld0 The "ELSE" keyword cannot, of course be used as the right word of a pair, nor can the "END" keyword be used as the left word of a pair; "NUL" can be either. The "run" command is exceptional in that its argument may contain spaces between the curly braces. An action for a "run" command might be: run { /usr/share/lib/setterm/a_prog an_arg } Commands invoked through the "run" command should reside in the directory /usr/share/lib/setterm, though this is not required. They should not require too many arguments as they are intended to be very specialized. In general, they perform any device- or language-dependent processing on behalf of setterm, which has no language-dependent processing capability. If setterm was invoked with the -t option, then programs invoked through the "run" command will have their environment $TERM variable replaced with the terminal name indicated in the argument to the -t option. The "throw" command saves the termio(7) settings of the tty. They can be restored (presumably after the line discipline or other module has changed) through the "catch" command. These are useful for switching line disciplines, when both the old and new line disciplines sup- port, as a minimum, the termio(7) interface. If a "catch" is done without a prior "throw", then the command line "stty sane" will be done instead of the "catch" (useful for restoring badly messed up Streams); thus a "catch" with no throw is equivalent to "run{stty sane}". Two "throw" cannot be done without a "catch" between them. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how a complete entry might look in the configuration file: # # Japanese 7-bit JIS terminal JapanJIS7|JIS7throw popto zs|mcp|mti|ptem push jconv7 push ldterm push ttcompat catch # This entry can be invoked with, % setterm -x JIS7 As noted, the escaped newlines are necessary since the entry must be all on a single logical line. Escaped newlines are treated as single space characters. The "devt" label in the configuration file may optionally be a list of words separated (with no spaces) by a vertical bar ("|" symbol). In this case, each one is scanned by setterm for a match when looking for an entry in the file; if any word of the "|" separated list matches, that entry is used. There is an extra variable, "T", which when set with the set command, takes on a generic device name. When this variable is set, a call to ttyname(3) on file descriptor zero is issued by setterm. The resulting device name is stripped of any trailing ASCII digits (i.e., 0-9), and the result becomes the value of the "T" variable. This is useful if specialized processing is necessary for different device types or drivers, for example if the console requires special-purpose processing. Actual device names, such as "/dev/tty33" are turned into names such as "/dev/tty". Beware that names containing no trailing digits cannot be stripped of them, so that "/dev/console" remains just that. An example of usage might be: set T select T=/dev/console:this,/dev/tty:that,ELSE:other LIMITATIONS
Currently, the maximum size of a single "action" entry is limited to 2047 bytes. The number of items in a "select" list is limited to 30. Setterm unfortunately cannot be used to build multiplexing configurations. The "run" command may help where multiplexing configurations are required. Setterm will neither save nor restore termio(7) settings, except through "throw" and "catch". Error reporting is minimal; all errors are fatal. Inability to pop a module is not an error, since it may signal the "bottom" of the STREAM. The configuration file is scanned sequentially, and only the first entry found for a particular "devt" is executed. CAVEATS
Since all errors are fatal, the user could be left with an extremely "raw" terminal configuration, or worse, with a completely useless con- figuration from which there is no escape except by logging out (if any input is possible at all!). "Throw", "catch", and tests for exis- tence of a reasonable top-level module should help reduce these possibilities. Rigorous testing of new entries under varying conditions is recommended. It is also recommended that a "sane" entry of some type be inserted into the configuration file for use with the -x option. Setterm uses its standard input file (file descriptor zero) for all ioctl(2) calls to the terminal. Therefore, if the terminal should hang (for example if all modules have been popped but it is impossible to push anything, or in the event of a module hangup or failure) it is possible to run setterm from another terminal (assuming appropriate permissions) with standard input redirected to the errant terminal line. For example, if tty12 is hung due to a module problem, "setterm-x ... < /dev/tty12" should clear the problem. Beware of infinite recursion when calling setterm recursively (i.,e., when "run { setterm ... }" from within an entry; setterm cannot detect infinite recursion. FILES
/usr/share/lib/setterm setterm library /usr/share/lib/setterm/locale/conf.file default configuration file /usr/share/lib/setterm/NOTES explanation and notes on format SEE ALSO
getty(1M), tic(1M), terminfo(4), streamio(7), termio(7) Documentation on various local modules BUGS
A missing "}" to a "run" command may not be caught by the parser, which is relatively crude. This can result in bad arguments to commands, without the syntax error being caught. 6 March 1992 setterm(1)