Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris FTP log only shows FTP LOGIN FROM entry? Post 302744427 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of December 2012 10:10:08 AM
Old 12-14-2012
The client app is not associated with any server, it is just a bit of code that can connect a tcp/ip socket on a random high port to the ftp port of some server socket bound tothe ftp command port somewhere and talk the ftp protocol on that, including supporting the session with either passive out or traditional incoming secondary, data connections. FTP has been written in many languages and many sorts of apps and APIs. If you can socket, you can FTP. Asking the server about the clients is like asking a free hotspot owner about all the transactions done on the router. Now, a firewall or other packet snooper might record some level of detail, but not much about https. It feels like a mainframe mindset, that there is only one client facility that logs everything centrally, but no, there are many users, processes, sockets, protocols, applications.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP login failing

Please help. I am running Solaris 8 trying to get my FTP to work. When I try to access the FTP server from another computer on the network, it connects and prompts for a password. The username and password I set up do not work as well as my root account. Neither of the accounts are set up in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbis12
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP login problem

I've just configured a server to my network (setting the ip, netmask, host file, etc...) and the server doesn't have any problem pinging another computer on the network. however when i try to connect to the server via ftp the root account can't log in, i made another account (a standard one that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasalagua
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

limit non login id for ftp

Hi All, How can I limit a userid (/bin/false) to have access only to ftp service? On redhat ent 4. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP & login

Folks; Is there a way in UNIX to do the following: When users use FTP to login to a mounted drive on Solaris server, if that was their first time login a home directory for that user will be created & if the home directory exists it won't create a home directory (user should not have a login... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
6 Replies

5. Solaris

FTP login failed.

Hi guys, Can you please help me. I have SUN V100 server running solaris 8. I also have a Redhat Linux 6.2 machine and a windows XP machine on the network. I'm trying to copy files from the Linux and XP machines to the V100 server. When I try to ftp to the solaris machine, I'm challenged... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

FTP logfile shows strange activity at login

Has anyone seen or know what is causing this FTP log file line-item? 3 times when I successfully logged into FTP today, the log file shows a server response of a wrong password (530) to an IP address that is not mine... Below are FTP Log-file entries. I have removed my username & IP address: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bricolage
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script to login and list files to log file

Hi Guys I did a forum search for "ftp scripts" Looked at 8 pages and didnt see anything that would help. Most seem to be logging into a ftp server and transfering files. What I need to do is login to a FTP server. Goto a folder and list it so it showes newest files first. It would be nice to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: voorhees1979
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP that works correctly in command prompt and shows issue in UNIX server

Hi All, FTP ports opens with the given user name and password and allows to download file through COMMAND PROMPT. Code as below: H:\>ftp ftpxxxxx Connected to entvc2ft07-pub.xxxxx.com. 220 Microsoft FTP Service User (entvc2ft07-pub.xxxxx.com:(none)): userxxxxx 331 User name okay, need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayalakshmi.r
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

I can't login to any new FTP accounts

I have a website that I use sftp to connect to the root account. I am able to connect to it with sftp root@domainHowever, when I create a new user, and try to login with this account, it says permission is denied. I have already checked with my provider, and tech support said they can login... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevthefatty
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp login commands

Hello, I am using ftp on command line. The problem is getting bumped off after 15 minutes of no activity.. I have two options: quit ftp and use the command history of my shell, or stay in ftp and use 'open' command, where I can use the command history saved in the ftp program. Either option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allasso
1 Replies
FTP-PROXY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      FTP-PROXY(8)

NAME
ftp-proxy -- Internet File Transfer Protocol proxy daemon SYNOPSIS
ftp-proxy [-6Adrv] [-a address] [-b address] [-D level] [-i netif] [-m maxsessions] [-P port] [-p port] [-q queue] [-R address] [-T tag] [-t timeout] DESCRIPTION
ftp-proxy is a proxy for the Internet File Transfer Protocol. FTP control connections should be redirected into the proxy using the ipnat(4) or pf(4) rdr command, after which the proxy connects to the server on behalf of the client. The proxy allows data connections to pass, rewriting and redirecting them so that the right addresses are used. All connections from the client to the server have their source address rewritten so they appear to come from the proxy. Consequently, all connections from the server to the proxy have their destination address rewritten, so they are redirected to the client. The proxy uses the pf(4) anchor facility for this, unless the option -i is specified, it will then use the ipnat(4) interface. Assuming the FTP control connection is from $client to $server, the proxy connected to the server using the $proxy source address, and $port is negotiated, then ftp-proxy adds the following rules to the various anchors. (These example rules use inet, but the proxy also supports inet6.) In case of active mode (PORT or EPRT): rdr from $server to $proxy port $port -> $client pass quick inet proto tcp from $server to $client port $port In case of passive mode (PASV or EPSV): nat from $client to $server port $port -> $proxy pass in quick inet proto tcp from $client to $server port $port pass out quick inet proto tcp from $proxy to $server port $port The options are as follows: -6 IPv6 mode. The proxy will expect and use IPv6 addresses for all communication. Only the extended FTP modes EPSV and EPRT are allowed with IPv6. The proxy is in IPv4 mode by default. -A Only permit anonymous FTP connections. Either user "ftp" or user "anonymous" is allowed. -a address The proxy will use this as the source address for the control connection to a server. -b address Address where the proxy will listen for redirected control connections. The default is 127.0.0.1, or ::1 in IPv6 mode. -D level Debug level, ranging from 0 to 7. Higher is more verbose. The default is 5. (These levels correspond to the syslog(3) levels.) -d Do not daemonize. The process will stay in the foreground, logging to standard error. -i netif Set ftp-proxy for use with IP-Filter. The argument netif should be set to the name of the network interface where rdr is applied on. -m maxsessions Maximum number of concurrent FTP sessions. When the proxy reaches this limit, new connections are denied. The default is 100 ses- sions. The limit can be lowered to a minimum of 1, or raised to a maximum of 500. -P port Fixed server port. Only used in combination with -R. The default is port 21. -p port Port where the proxy will listen for redirected connections. The default is port 8021. -q queue Create rules with queue queue appended, so that data connections can be queued. -R address Fixed server address, also known as reverse mode. The proxy will always connect to the same server, regardless of where the client wanted to connect to (before it was redirected). Use this option to proxy for a server behind NAT, or to forward all connections to another proxy. -r Rewrite sourceport to 20 in active mode to suit ancient clients that insist on this RFC property. -T tag Automatically tag packets passing through the pf(4) rule with the name supplied. -t timeout Number of seconds that the control connection can be idle, before the proxy will disconnect. The maximum is 86400 seconds, which is also the default. Do not set this too low, because the control connection is usually idle when large data transfers are taking place. -v Set the 'log' flag on pf rules committed by ftp-proxy. Use twice to set the 'log-all' flag. The pf rules do not log by default. CONFIGURATION
To make use of the proxy using pf(4), pf.conf(5) needs the following rules. All anchors are mandatory. Adjust the rules as needed. In the NAT section: nat-anchor "ftp-proxy/*" rdr-anchor "ftp-proxy/*" rdr pass on $int_if proto tcp from $lan to any port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021 In the rule section: anchor "ftp-proxy/*" pass out proto tcp from $proxy to any port 21 To make use of the proxy using ipnat(4), ipnat.conf(5) need the following rule: rdr $int_if any port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021 tcp SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ipnat(4), pf(4), ipnat.conf(5), pf.conf(5) CAVEATS
ipnat(4) and pf(4) does not allow the ruleset to be modified if the system is running at a securelevel higher than 1. At that level ftp-proxy cannot add rules to the anchors and FTP data connections may get blocked. Negotiated data connection ports below 1024 are not allowed. The negotiated IP address for active modes is ignored for security reasons. This makes third party file transfers impossible. ftp-proxy chroots to "/var/chroot/ftp-proxy" and changes to user "_proxy" to drop privileges. BSD
August 1, 2007 BSD